Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Degreasers for paint prep

Good to have it for when you need it I don`t have any "C" left though...I was never really impressed with that one though I liked the color.

For that matter, I`m glad I still have some of that old, very nasty, FK1119 on the shelf. Don`t know if I`ll ever use it, but *that* stuff worked some miracles for me in the past. (I can almost hear Ketch thinking "you`re lucky you didn`t [mess] something up with it.." )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Waiting on some products to arrive to attempt my first ever DA cut / polish and a paint protection system. (Coating, sealant wax, etc)

I have a wipe out spray coming for after polishing and I have an iron remover prior to the clay step....but I have been reading where it is recommended to use a de-greaser such as P21S total auto wash or Optimum power clean prior to the intital wash. For a weekend detailer is this step necessary? (I know that is a very subjective question). So maybe I should say what difference will I notice if I perform this step and what difference will I notice if I skip this step prior to my wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wash with dawn then do prep spray with Meguiars glass cleaner from concentrate it like $15 for a gallon and will make 10 gallons prep spray it is strong than just alcohol alone. If you are going to purchase a prep spray Gtechniq panel wipe is very strong there was a video on YouTube by kds or something comparing the two. Alcohol doesn’t get it all that’s why I do dawn and let it dwell. In past I also did N914 plus alcohol but megs glass cleaner is where I settled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    ... Alcohol doesn’t get it all..
    Glad I`m not the only person who`s experienced that

You and (the currently MIA) Barry Theal are on the same page using Glass Cleaner.

Interesting that you like Dawn for this...I`m not a Dawn Hater, but I find it does more sudsing than cleaning when used for Detailing jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Glad I`m not the only person who`s experienced that

You and (the currently MIA) Barry Theal are on the same page using Glass Cleaner.

Interesting that you like Dawn for this...I`m not a Dawn Hater, but I find it does more sudsing than cleaning when used for Detailing jobs.
    I let it sit on there then wash rinse while still wet do prep spray Same thing soak it but 1 panel at a time while it’s wet prep and drying done as 1 step. The glass cleaner works better has another solvent in it

Post Thanks / Like

William_Wallace- I gather there are no issues from the Glass Cleaner "drying things out" (scare-quotes as I`m generalizing..). I`d have to keep it off the surrounding rubber on a few of our vehicles..

Eh, this is just intellectual curiosity on my part, what with my lifetime+ supply of PrepWash, but I figure the Q is worth asking in case somebody else wants to try this.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dawn thing is not on my list, just feeling Dawn in my fingers, like there is wax in the carriers.
    As though it would ad to the removal proccess.
    Might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    The Dawn thing is not on my list, just feeling Dawn in my fingers, like there is wax in the carriers.
    As though it would ad to the removal proccess.
    Might be wrong.
    Heh heh, that caught my attention as my wife and I probably wash our hands with Dawn more than with anything else! (Hey, it`s in the kitchen sink dispenser..)

I wonder if that "waxy whatever" you note might be related to how it reacts with your water...I do find it quite different in our soft water compared to in hard (though it still seems to rinse away cleanly for me).

Eh, I`m no Dawn-hater, but I just don`t get the idea behind using it for Detailing applications. Just so many other options that I`d reach for first. Sorta like my views on IPA...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information