Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita XOP02Z whaaaaat!

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    On another note, Makita informed me that the original PO5000c/po6000C does infact have an electronic controller...so that means. Free spin is still worthless for polish/compounding...and only good for wetsanding and LSP application.
    Care to explain why the electronic controller`s bad? From everything I`ve read one would want to use this in forced rotation mode for any correction. And free spin to apply waxes and sealants. Which seems to echo what you just said. Not knowing a ton here, I just imagine any correction on a free spinning unit that only has a 5mm throw would pretty much suck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Care to explain why the electronic controller`s bad? From everything I`ve read one would want to use this in forced rotation mode for any correction. And free spin to apply waxes and sealants. Which seems to echo what you just said. Not knowing a ton here, I just imagine any correction on a free spinning unit that only has a 5mm throw would pretty much suck.
    Yeah 5.5mm isn`t enough to keep lad rotation

We all know 8mm is enough.
    I wonder how 6.5 mm would be

When Makita debuted this, I got my unit right away, noticed this issue and messaged Makita about a variable throw option for freespin mode..they sadly say they don`t take user submissions...years gone by and no change besides cordless version

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah 5.5mm isn`t enough to keep lad rotation

We all know 8mm is enough.
    I wonder how 6.5 mm would be

When Makita debuted this, I got my unit right away, noticed this issue and messaged Makita about a variable throw option for freespin mode..they sadly say they don`t take user submissions...years gone by and no change besides cordless version
    Okay that`s what I thought, but you said in your 1st post it runs circles around others when in forced rotation mode. So would you said this free spin is a problem, or more of an annoyance? I was under the impression that for applying an LSP the free spin here would work good enough. I`ve never used a 3401 so I`m kind of trying to figure out if this Makita`s the tool for me. I know Flex has a 18v free spin, and are coming with a cordless 3401. I`m not sure which I should get.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay that`s what I thought, but you said in your 1st post it runs circles around others when in forced rotation mode. So would you said this free spin is a problem, or more of an annoyance? I was under the impression that for applying an LSP the free spin here would work good enough. I`ve never used a 3401 so I`m kind of trying to figure out if this Makita`s the tool for me. I know Flex has a 18v free spin, and are coming with a cordless 3401. I`m not sure which I should get.
    Your buying the Makita for forced rotation feature, the free spin mode was a bonus...a bonus you just throw away and don`t use lol....unless you plan to put sanding discs on it.

Makita is more known for polishing in wood working...not paint

If they ever add variable throw for freespin it`ll be a true dual purpose detailing machine...they could also just up the 5.5 to 8mm with no variable throw, but that may make it undesirable for walk and vibration, which is why I never cared.for the 3401

Post Thanks / Like

Read a review, 25 minutes run time with a 6ah battery, I could have sworn I read somewhere 40 minutes with a 5ah. And it looks like the only car charger they sell takes 90 minutes to charge a 5ah. If I get this, I`ll need a boat load of batteries if I want to correct a car in 1 session. And I`m going to guess charging a battery from dead to full in my car without the car running wouldn`t be great for my cars battery. Looks like this is going to be a way more expensive endeavor than I had originally planned on lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds about right.
    I`d figured 25-30 mins with a 5 ah ..maybe they have smaller cells?

All the Chinese cordless Polishers only ran for 30mins

Flex suppose to run 40, but I don`t trust battery run times when manufactures state it..

I still plan To use a Milwaukee adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds about right.

Flex suppose to run 40, but I don`t trust battery run times when manufactures state it..

Yeah I had read 25 with a 5ah and 40 with a 6ah. The 6 should have considerably more run time, so with a 5 you might only get 15 minutes. 25`s workable, 15`ish is too short. With an adapter and a 12ah Milwaukee it might get 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds about right.

Look at the thread where Mike Phillips on Autogeek compounding and polishing a Maserati out real fast and he also times the battery length on the Flex XCE 125 18.0 polisher. It last impresively long I think. Don`t know how it`s with a car charger though if it`s even available for the Flex system. Flex showed a bigger cool power bank or like a generator. That I think that could be recharge the Flex batteries while you polishing if no corded access near you. But proberly expensive too LOL.

Interesting with a cordless Makita DA polisher too. Don`t the battery charger charges faster from an electric outlet? You would want only 2 batteries to switch between during a work. If you include the prices of batteries which is high.

Is there an adapter to fit the Flex or other brands batteries?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Look at the thread where Mike Phillips on Autogeek compounding and polishing a Maserati out real fast and he also times the battery length on the Flex XCE 125 18.0 polisher. It last impresively long I think. Don`t know how it`s with a car charger though if it`s even available for the Flex system. Flex showed a bigger cool power bank or like a generator. That I think that could be recharge the Flex batteries while you polishing if no corded access near you. But proberly expensive too LOL.

Interesting with a cordless Makita DA polisher too. Don`t the battery charger charges faster from an electric outlet? You would want only 2 batteries to switch between during a work. If you include the prices of batteries which is high.

Is there an adapter to fit the Flex or other brands batteries?
    Dunno about the Flex charger, but the Makita quick charger takes 45 minutes to fully charge a 5Ah. I can`t find info on how long for a 6Ah, but I`m guessing about an hour. With only 25 minutes of run time you`d need more than 2 if you wanted to use it without breaks. I`m looking at a 298Wh battery bank on Amazon. My math is horrible bad, but I think I could charge 3 batteries before having to recharge the bank. But even if I had 3 batteries, that`s still not going to give me a ton of time. For me to use it mobile, I`m going to need a bunch of expensive batteries and a way to charge them. The flex has much better battery life, but I don`t like the batteries that only work with that one unit. Plus, there`s no multi battery

As much as I want a cordless polisher, it`s going to be super expensive to get a setup that would allow me to one step an entire car in a single session. I see Amazon has generic 9Ah Makita batteries, and like was mentioned in this thread you can get adapters. I was looking at the 12Ah Milwaukee`s, they look like they would be too heavy and bulky to use with the Makita polisher, but I don`t know. And I would imagine even with a fast charger, the 12Ah battery would 90 minutes or more to charge. So

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno about the Flex charger, but the Makita quick charger takes 45 minutes to fully charge a 5Ah. I can`t find info on how long for a 6Ah, but I`m guessing about an hour. With only 25 minutes of run time you`d need more than 2 if you wanted to use it without breaks. I`m looking at a 298Wh battery bank on Amazon. My math is horrible bad, but I think I could charge 3 batteries before having to recharge the bank. But even if I had 3 batteries, that`s still not going to give me a ton of time. For me to use it mobile, I`m going to need a bunch of expensive batteries and a way to charge them. The flex has much better battery life, but I don`t like the batteries that only work with that one unit. Plus, there`s no multi battery

As much as I want a cordless polisher, it`s going to be super expensive to get a setup that would allow me to one step an entire car in a single session. I see Amazon has generic 9Ah Makita batteries, and like was mentioned in this thread you can get adapters. I was looking at the 12Ah Milwaukee`s, they look like they would be too heavy and bulky to use with the Makita polisher, but I don`t know. And I would imagine even with a fast charger, the 12Ah battery would 90 minutes or more to charge. So
    It takes the same time to charge the Flex 5ah batteries too. But with a battery time on full speed setting it`s last you 35-40min of effective polishing time. It was the thread

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...akeover-2.html

That I was refering to before.

I see the extra cost of a cordless polisher downside. How is it with converters from 12v to 110v and use a setup of car batteries or RV special batteries. This is common here in Sweden with electric power converted from 12v to 240v in RV and motor homes. They are useally disconnected when used from the RV or vehical electrics and switched over to it when you driving again. So if the battery goes dead you have no problem with running the vehical. Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information