Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where went the love for Menzerna polishes?

While we`re into prep-wipe trivia, Mike Phillips says that Dr. G created Klean-Strip Prep-All when he worked for the company that makes it between working at PPG and starting his own company.
    Likes Dan, rlmccarty2000, felixthecat, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Let`s not forget about Dupont 3900S First Klean...

Came a while after Y3919S Prep-Sol, probably to satisfy the newer regs regarding these cleaners, thinners, reducers, that were all going bye-bye...

Regarding the Klean-Strip product - wow - figures Dr. David Ghodoussi would have something to do with that, seeing that the BARR company, who makes the Klean-Strip product/s is also located in Memphis, Tennessee, the home of Optimum Products...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

This is what Menzerna has been doing the last years. The naming part has been done to steer it to the consumer. For those who use rotary in production and detailing industry. For the use of foam cutting pads and up you have HC1000 MC2500 FF3000. If use wool pads the alternatives are HC1100 MC2200 FF3000.

Some are wet sanding towards a finer grit so they can use a medium cut polish to remove the sanding marks or have light defects. MC2500 is the base medium cut polish that leaves a glossy finish. MC2200 is the one if you want to get a little higher cut. MC2400 is more liquid and suits SS paints and dry and oxidized b/c paints. They work with both rotary and orbital polishers.

The classic swirl remover that leaves a high gloss is FF3000. Haze and hologram remover. Now don`t blame me cause this is Menzernas description LOL. SF3500 for a brilliant deep gloss. SFP3800 for a show car finish. All works with rotary and orbital polishers.

SHC300 for maximum abrasion and fast cutting and removes p1500 sanding marks. Used with foam cutting pad or wool cutting pad on rotary and orbital polishers. Diminishing abrasives gets you so you can use the SF3500 finishing polish for a brilliant deep gloss hehe.
    HC400 is their one step compound that gets you finishing gloss. Also works with rotary and orbital polishers.

If I`m not wrong all polishes are know water based and they are silicone free. Which makes them easier to work with and dust free. I think also they tune the formula. For an example HC400 when it where FG400 could in high humidity environment get lumps from. And think that is taken care of now days. Maybe if it`s extreme environments there are problems of some kind. But which is totally problem free in any environment.

They are color coded with the name of the polish on the polish on the bottle and the first number on the 4 digits ones.

Red foam pad and wool pad: SHC300 HC400 HC1000 HC1100

Yellow foam pad: MC2500 MC2400 MC2200

Light green foam pad: FF3000 SF3500 SFP3800

Light blue foam wax pad: Power Lock, Liquid Carnuaba, Sealing Wax

3 in 1 One Step Polish: yellow, light green, light blue pads. An example cut SHC300 red pad and 3in1 yellow or green pad and Endless Shine.

Power Protect Ultra 2in1 is a high gloss polish and sealant in one product. An example HC400 red pad and PPU 2in1 green pad. Can be used with the blue wax pad for protection over the finishing polishes.

The source is Menzerna dot com and the pdf about their car polishes products.

If you want a great range of Menzerna polishes to start with and they have the 250ml small bottles. Is HC400 and MC2500 and SF3500. Would you need a heavy cut compound ad SHC300. And would you try out a protection Power Lock or Power Protect Ultra 2in1. Is what I would go with. They also sells theirs abrasives to other brands. But from what polishes they come from or if they do them separately for them I don`t know. If you like to try out polishes Menzerna is definitely a brand to test out.

/ Tony
    Thanks Stokdgs, WaxAddict, felixthecat thanked for this post
    Dislikes felixthecat disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Regarding the Klean-Strip product - wow - figures Dr. David Ghodoussi would have something to do with that, seeing that the BARR company, who makes the Klean-Strip product/s is also located in Memphis, Tennessee, the home of Optimum Products...
    I believe Dr. G got his MBA in Memphis. According to LinkedIn, he worked for Barr for 6 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    As do I.

I`m pretty sure I remember Accumulator and Bill D talking about using Prep-All because they could get it, vs. Prep-Sol which you really had to get at a PBE store (of course today you can get anything on the internet). Honestly I don`t remember anyone talking about doing a solvent wipe after polishing until Todd Helme starting talking about Menzerna "filling", in...I guess that would be about 2005? 2006? I mean when I started here there were basically no pictures in threads...GSRStilez was one of the first to popularize it and then Todd set the standard until CMA products started showing up in all his pictures and he got banned. Anyway, that`s the way I recall it, no one was doing a "prep wipe" until Todd questioned...wait, maybe Todd was the one who defended Menzerna, saying it was the lubricating oils that caused the filling, not "fillers".

Well...what I`m saying is I joined in 2004, and sometime after that, a couple of years, was the "scandal" that some polishes didn`t work as well as people thought because of the filling that was going on...that was back when the machines and pads prevented you from doing any real correction with a PC (the only DA at the time), a problem the rotary guys like Todd and Sean didn`t have. What a different time. Who was that other guy? Who was from NJ and moved to San Diego? Umm...memory banks...Dave Saunders...Street Dreams. So many people who have come and gone here.
    Actually I got banned from a few sites because I questioned if Menzerna was causing paint to "swell" and thus giving the appearance that it was removing swirls and imperfections. Some people got upset, even had a contact from Menzera reach out to me...all water under that proverbial bridge now. I use Menzerna still today, I have always liked their stuff. Although I do notice they label their products with "no fillers"

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I shy away from Menzerna products (except I`ll still cut with FG400) if the plan is to apply a ceramic coating. I felt it was easier to just not use it then worry about all the polishing oil/lube being removed.

I had always done a detail spray wipe down after polishing going back to before 2000. Megs Last Touch is what I used to use. I still have probably 2/3 left from the last gallon jug. It was when the coatings came along that I became obsessive about it.

A totally clean surface just has to be better no matter what LSP is going on top.

Post Thanks / Like

The TOL prep wash/silicone remover gallon jug I still have is green liquid. I put a few drops in with my homemade Eraser mixture made with 91% IPA, M37 N-914

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked and it`s actually HiTemp HT-23 Prep Was Concentrate. I bought it from TOL website.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad I have a gallon of it since TOL is no more
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes, a trip down Autopia memory lane: the "flaming" (remember that term?) and detailing soap opera, "you are a detailing moron", and banning that went on. Made for some "interesting" and "entertaining" reading of some very long thread "discussions".. A lot of conjecture and personal judgment trying to sort out truth from fiction and right from wrong, especially before the days of posting pics.
    Probably some of the best "discussions" are from resident Autopian mathematician and physicist Kevin Brown and his detailing renowned "Kevin Brown Method" for using Megs M105 and M205 and his insight on DA orbital motions and stroke.in conjunction with pad diameter.

That, and pre-VOC paint prep solvents. My stash is PPG`s Acryli-Clean DX 330 and Ditz-O DX 440. Not much left of either in quart cans. Excellent wax and grease removers.

Are Jescar`s compounds and polishes "different" than Menzerna`s or do they use the same micro-abrasives with "different" suspension carriers and lubricants?
    GB detailer
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Are Jescar`s compounds and polishes "different" than Menzerna`s or do they use the same micro-abrasives with "different" suspension carriers and lubricants?
    Now it sounds like you`re gunning for...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Ah, yes, a trip down Autopia memory lane: the "flaming" (remember that term?) and detailing soap opera, "you are a detailing moron", and banning that went on.
    I`m sure Jescar says they are different...and I`m sure there are others who will say they aren`t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m glad I have a gallon of it since TOL is no more
    Irene Bernardo had to close down Top Of The Line due to illness. She has ALS as many of you know. I was able to talk Irene into carrying Menzerna and a few other "boutique" products and just before she closed up I got a can of Trade Secret paste wax...it will be a keepsake for many years to come.

I started out with Irene when she only had a mailed out catalog which was just stapled sheets of paper, she was so excited when we spoke on the phone back then about getting on the internet with her very own webpage! She visted and we had a great time, she is someone I admire for her personality, dedication and kindness. She wanted me to take over TOL but I had to turn that down and I regret doing so but at that time it just wasn`t in the cards.

Hi-Temp products had some items I really liked, back then there was a wheel cleaner and tire dressing that worked great but due to the VOC stuff they stopped making them. I also loved her early Egyptian cotton towels because they looked so nice, buff color with red edged stitching and worked great as a wax remover. Then one day she called me excited about some new towels coming out called..."microfiber", ya I been at this that long! She sent me a few to test out for her cause she said the claims sounded to good to be true, lol

Merry Christmas all,
    Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The filling ability of Menzerna`s po106FF caused huge headaches for me and I`ve never used their products since...not that I never would or anything.

Anthony O.- I share your fond memories of doing business with Irene and the rest of the folks at TOL. She was *very* helpful without being caught up in the "this product is *BEST* because I say so" that`s so common. I still keep some of those old catalogs of hers around...too bad you couldn`t take over but I sure understand.

Heh heh, I still keep the older Cyclo in its TOL box The guys at CycloToolmakers even preserved it and shipped the unit back to me in it when servicing that unit (which, incredibly, they said it didn`t really need).

And I *just* used up the last of my TOL Wheel Cleaner earlier this year.

Those "buff with red" towels were also available from Emmons Coachworks (since we`re doing the Memory Lane thing..) and were indeed very good as cotton goes (better than the reserged Charismas that Kevin Overall sold).

DBAILY- There were a few color/scent versions of the HT-23 but IME they all worked the same. I just recently used up the last of my *really* old "orange-pink" version from maybe `83-4. I do sometimes wonder whether Eraser/etc. might work better, but will probably never find out first-hand.

Setec Astronomy- Yeah...sigh, I used to have maybe six different prep solvents on the shelf. Fave pre-VOC was Wurth Cleans-All/CleanSolve, probably still have enough for this lifetime.

Lonnie- Yes indeed, Kevin`s reasoned approach to this stuff was a breath of fresh air, even though his experiences sometimes differ from mine. Gee, I haven`t talked with him since forever...

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many choices it was foolish for them to make my decision difficult by changing the numbers every 6 months.

Not a bad product(s), just terrible marketing imo

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t know how it is now days with the Jescar / Menzerna USA and Menzerna . What I know of so did Jescar/Menzerna USA some of the abrasives in some of the products even used in EU. And Powerlock I think is a developed product by Jescar. Don`t know if Jescar has bought in and used any abrasives from Menzerna in their own line up of polishes. And the rumors is that also the PBMG polishes uses the Menzerna developed abrasives in their polishes. If that`s true my thinking goes why should a company well knowned to manufactures and mills their own abrasives and also sells to other brands. Make the abrasives better than the abrasives they uses in their products. Have not used any the PBMG polishes. But would be interesting to hear those that have used any of these and if it`s like any of the Menzerna polishes. Then it`s a possibility that PBMG polishes uses some other companies made abrasives in some products too. As it`s not that many companies that does the abrasives with the developing and manufacturing of them. Tac System is a brand that manufactures a lot of their own products like abrasives and also ceramic coatings and other products. But they can also take in products manufactured outside of them to get the complete line up of detailing products.

Since I started about 3 years ago there have not been much of changing with the product names on Menzerna. They had just made the big change then and they cleared out the shelfs then so there where both lines of products which some where the same. But during that time and back some years the developing of abrasive technology was in a high pace. Mostly the big change was they where going over to water/solvent emulssions. So say that they are water based is not so true actually. As they developed the water and solvent and petroleum emulssions fastly. Then the polishing oils needed to be working with the emulssions and then to not be haveing the silicone in them I think was a trouble to sort out so it didn`t dusted so much. Think that M105 is a water emulssion polish and no silicone in it and that`s a problem with the dusting. The M100 and M101 I think is petroleum/solvent based still. And with the newer technology they got the M110 water emulssion and silicone free with no dusting. Sonax stepped up a lot with their Profiline polishes I think as they where not so good more than 10 years and back. Compared to Scholl and Menzerna and other German brands.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information