Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where went the love for Menzerna polishes?

Still a Menz fan especially for my BMWs. Cut with 400 and finish with 3500. I really can’t see a difference when I go over 3500 with 3800. I bought some 300 that I may never use and 2500 that I look forward to using when I don’t see the need for 400. I like it that there are plenty of choices. I always do a wipe down after polishing (who doesn’t?) and Menz products are very low dusting even when you work them hard.

Menz is the opposite of 3D One. I’m still waiting to try this one out.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to get some of these new ones from Menzerna, maybe in samples.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I love me some SF3800 and 3 in 1!! Fantastic products.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I also remember the 70`s when Dupont Y-3919S Prep Sol, was used in the Body Shop I worked in as a Painter... I still have a metal can Gallon of it in one of my cabinets..
    As do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I was referring to what Detailers used in the last 20 years or so..
    I`m pretty sure I remember Accumulator and Bill D talking about using Prep-All because they could get it, vs. Prep-Sol which you really had to get at a PBE store (of course today you can get anything on the internet). Honestly I don`t remember anyone talking about doing a solvent wipe after polishing until Todd Helme starting talking about Menzerna "filling", in...I guess that would be about 2005? 2006? I mean when I started here there were basically no pictures in threads...GSRStilez was one of the first to popularize it and then Todd set the standard until CMA products started showing up in all his pictures and he got banned. Anyway, that`s the way I recall it, no one was doing a "prep wipe" until Todd questioned...wait, maybe Todd was the one who defended Menzerna, saying it was the lubricating oils that caused the filling, not "fillers".

Well...what I`m saying is I joined in 2004, and sometime after that, a couple of years, was the "scandal" that some polishes didn`t work as well as people thought because of the filling that was going on...that was back when the machines and pads prevented you from doing any real correction with a PC (the only DA at the time), a problem the rotary guys like Todd and Sean didn`t have. What a different time. Who was that other guy? Who was from NJ and moved to San Diego? Umm...memory banks...Dave Saunders...Street Dreams. So many people who have come and gone here.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Still keep 2500 and 3800 on the shelf just in case. They make an appearance every so often!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Prep Wash/Klean after Accumulator recommended it. I haven’t used Prep-All in ages.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was in 08-09 about the Menzerna "scandal" that some polishes didn`t work as well as people thought because of the filling that was going on. He was banned because David B. just wanted no one to question anything about some products and also He was just starting to work for CMA like I was. For many years alot of products going back 30 yrs were filling in but no one ever question it and alot of shops didn`t care. I myself was banned from here by David B. because I call him out on a few things.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the OP.... competition, technology and more available options have thinned out the love. The name changes also got sickening. I still like 2500 and 3800. But I have other compounds and polishes that I like better then current Menzerna offerings.
    J
    3D, Sonax, Griots and even new Meg’s(110 and 210) have all offered some really nice products in the past few years to really take away some of the market share Menzerna was enjoying.
    Likes WaxAddict, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    He was banned because David B. just wanted no one to question anything about some products and also He was just starting to work for CMA like I was. I myself was banned from here by David B. because I call him out on a few things.
    David B. was pretty capricious, but Todd was the forum darling at that time, people lived and breathed his product choices, it was wrong for him to suddenly have CMA products in every picture and not disclose that he was now working for CMA. He was not the only one--we went through that issue here as an "open" forum that we had a lot of people who were beta testers or had other relationships with manufacturers or resellers that didn`t disclose it, and it was really ethically improper for people to be giving "impartial opinions" under those circumstances. Most of the "Zaino Zealots" turned out to be beta-testers for Sal.

That was a long time ago and water under the bridge, and as you alluded to David B. wanted to hawk his products and not have his competition doing the same thing...depending on what year it was. We used to see-saw between "this is an open forum and you can talk about anything and any product" to "you can only talk about non-ACC products if they are a paying sponsor" to "posters have to disclose their relationships to manufacturers". To be fair there was some ethically improper stuff being done, like Meguiar`s giving out all their new products to people on the condition that reviews be written on all of them, and then you would be on the list to get all the new products next year too. And there was no disclosure with that. People (probably) wanted to give a good review so they would get a big box of new, free products next year. Situations like that led to today where people are pretty transparent about stating if they have been given a product for free to review.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    David B. was pretty capricious, but Todd was the forum darling at that time, people lived and breathed his product choices, it was wrong for him to suddenly have CMA products in every picture and not disclose that he was now working for CMA. He was not the only one--we went through that issue here as an "open" forum that we had a lot of people who were beta testers or had other relationships with manufacturers or resellers that didn`t disclose it, and it was really ethically improper for people to be giving "impartial opinions" under those circumstances. Most of the "Zaino Zealots" turned out to be beta-testers for Sal.

That was a long time ago and water under the bridge, and as you alluded to David B. wanted to hawk his products and not have his competition doing the same thing...depending on what year it was. We used to see-saw between "this is an open forum and you can talk about anything and any product" to "you can only talk about non-ACC products if they are a paying sponsor" to "posters have to disclose their relationships to manufacturers". To be fair there was some ethically improper stuff being done, like Meguiar`s giving out all their new products to people on the condition that reviews be written on all of them, and then you would be on the list to get all the new products next year too. And there was no disclosure with that. People (probably) wanted to give a good review so they would get a big box of new, free products next year. Situations like that led to today where people are pretty transparent about stating if they have been given a product for free to review.
    Wasn`t around yet for all of that but sure sounds like an `interesting` time...

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...yeah, PrepSol, Prep-All, PreKleano, CleanSolve, CleansAll...we *are* dating ourselves here! Those did work well though and I never had any issues (paint swelling/softening, etc.) using them.

Setec Astronomy- I can`t remember what the production-line polishers were, but yeah IIRC they were some kind of high-po pneumatics. Guess they`d have to be for that incredibly thick foam pad to correct the harder clears.

And yeah, I`d think that most Pros could get by with the BOSS line (I haven`t tried them either), but every now and then I find myself reaching for some now-oddball from Hi-Temp or 3M and I wonder what I`d ever do without it. Since Pros run into more weird one-off situations, well...good to have options.

[INSERT expression of respect for Pros HERE]

Stokdgs- AFAIK NextZett doesn`t make, or at least import to US, stuff like the old ProLine Metallic Polish or WaxPolishSoft, both of which I still use/like.

It was well over 20 years ago that I got my first bottle of TOL`s PrepWash, forget what it was called then (Prep All? Eh, maybe not since Bill D remembers something else by that name...at least it kept the same part# all this time). Seemed safer, and *was* cheaper, and the shop didn`t smell like the solvent all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I just remember it also being called Akrya Klean. I’m away from home at the moment so I can’t refer to what my bottle says, which is newer than Accumulator’s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I just remember it also being called Akrya Klean. I’m away from home at the moment so I can’t refer to what my bottle says, which is newer than Accumulator’s
    OK, since I`m not away from home I might as well go out to the shop and see..

My oldest bottle is called Remove All. It was orange-pink back then. Sheesh, the stuff I don`t throw away

The AkyraKlean name was used in-between that and Prep Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I polished with Menzerna, I was satisfied with its oil-removing ability. Whenever the next time I will polish will be, I am definitely going to use it in between steps to check my work and look for holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The last time I polished with Menzerna, I was satisfied with its oil-removing ability..
    Eh, I`m just paranoid about Polishing Oils
    Thanks Marine Clerk thanked for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information