Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name your top three finishing/jeweling polishes.

Not to hijack this thread (when has that EVER stopped you, Captain Obvious!), can you do jeweling with a long-throw dual-action polisher (LT-DA), OR are the results "better" using an rotary polisher??
    That SEEMS to be some of the discussion from the Barry Theal thread I linked. Like anything in polishing, its all about using the type of machine, pad choice, polishing (jeweling) formulation of the manufacturer (which IS what this thread is about), and technique and skill of the operator on the particular type and condition of the single-stage paint or clear coat. (Like I doubt here is any benefit to try to jewel Infinity self-healing clear-coat)

By the way, I was hoping Meguiar`s would come up with a jeweling polish M305, but the number was taken up by its Ultra Finishing Durable GLAZE. Not sure how this "fits" into the realm of jeweling. I do know that there is some thought that using M205 on a red LC Pad, rinsing it ,and then spinning it on a DA in a bucket to extract the excess water, and THEN using the residue on the pad to polish a paint/clear-coat was though to ACT as a jeweling process. Do not know if any of you Autopians have tried that technique. I have not
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I’m happy to see PO85rd is still being used. It’s the last burnishing polish I bought and that was some time ago. I would think others came along and eclipsed it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I can`t imagine the method you mentioned with M205 working for me since it`d still be the same abrasives, just fewer of `em.

People have used Glossmeters to prove that their rotary burnishing is superior. Whether anybody`s naked eyes would see the diff, let alone whether the user can finish out 100% hologram-free, is another matter. I do mine via Cyclo, which they (i.e., Rupes, who now owns Cyclo Toolmakers) consider a "long-throw".

Post Thanks / Like

When I posted this thread I knew that there are a lot of other factors that come into play such as pad, machine, machine speed, temp, humidity, etc.
    I just wanted to keep it simple. Just kinda get a feel where the majority sits.
    Plus I wanted to see how many are in favor of the Scholls S40 since I have heard so many favorable things about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Scholls Concept car-care chemicals have a few Autopians approval and recommendation in this forum. The only place I see it is available from is Car-Pro web site The Sky`s the Limit Car Care (Sorry no link due to forum rules). If anyone know of others, let us know. I wish we could talk PBMG into carrying that product line, but I am sure Scholls has its non-competing exclusive distributor(s?) network in the USA. Hey, what is ONE more??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- I can`t imagine the method you mentioned with M205 working for me since it`d still be the same abrasives, just fewer of `em.

People have used Glossmeters to prove that their rotary burnishing is superior. Whether anybody`s naked eyes would see the diff, let alone whether the user can finish out 100% hologram-free, is another matter. I do mine via Cyclo, which they (i.e., Rupes, who now owns Cyclo Toolmakers) consider a "long-throw".
    ...and the M205 would still have some Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) even in a washed-out "softer" RED LC pad; something you, Accumulator, absolutely loath!!

Wonder how a dual opposite-rotating rotary motion Cylo is considered "long throw".. maybe "big diameter" since the dual 4" pads are like a BIG single pad. I must say, I thank Cyclo for using 4" pads. It`s the pad size I use on my PC-DA and it`s almost the perfect size for a 8mm-throw DA and my abilities, but it takes FOREVER to do a vehicle. Someone here said that Cyclo is the ONLY reason LC and others offer a 4" diameter pad, otherwise it would probably not exist! Cyclo is a forgotten polishing machine. I cannot say "obsolete", just not "popular" polishing machine. I assume it works well in the hands of a skilled operator. Just that there are not a lot of "skilled operators" anymore who use this tool day-in-and-day-out. Kind of like manual drawing draftsmen; who does manual pencil-to-paper drafting/drawing on a drawing board any more? It`s all done on a computer now.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My Cyclo is really gathering dust, even more so than my other polishers That said, it would be the first I would reach for if I had some paint to burnish. It’s a pleasure to polish with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Seems like Scholls Concept car-care chemicals have a few Autopians approval and recommendation in this forum. The only place I see it is available from is Car-Pro web site The Sky`s the Limit Car Care (Sorry no link due to forum rules). If anyone know of others, let us know. I wish we could talk PBMG into carrying that product line, but I am sure Scholls has its non-competing exclusive distributor(s?) network in the USA. Hey, what is ONE more??
    I believe at one point they did.... I could be wrong tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m happy to see PO85rd is still being used. It’s the last burnishing polish I bought and that was some time ago. I would think others came along and eclipsed it.
    PO85RD
    Then 4500
    now 3800

Man I wish they can pick a name and keep it.

BTW I still call it PO85RD no matter what the bottle says!
    Likes DBAILEY, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha! An oldie but goodie just renamed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ...and the M205 would still have some Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) even in a washed-out "softer" RED LC pad; something you, Accumulator, absolutely loath!!
    Heh heh, I see I`ve ranted enough about those TSO for you to remember

I just don`t like dealing with Polishing Oils..I don`t like some Menzerna stuff for the same reason, and there are plenty of(other) products where they aren`t an issue.

Says the guy with nearly a gallon of M205 just sitting on the shelf
    Wonder how a dual opposite-rotating rotary motion Cylo is considered "long throw"..
    I was a bit surprised myself, but I guess if Rupes wants to call it that...probably a matter of "relativity" between the throw and the pad size, dunno how/if the dual heads factor in.

I`d be a little surprised if LC/etc. thought about the Cyclo that much..the pads Cyclo Toolmakers sells, which seem the same as the old "Edge" line (that`s from memory, so insert an "IIRC") are probably what most Cyclo users stick with.

And yeah on the "forgotten machine". Eh, it`s really best for whole-panel work on vehicles that have/don`t certain panel contours. It does work fine, but for really aggressive work I reach for my Flex3401 and assume others reach for a 21mm long-throw.

Between not working on some parts of some vehicles, and not being as aggressive as some other polishers, I guess its appeal is just a bit too narrow compared to today`s other options.

IMO it`s not about the Cyclo user being skilled; pretty idiot-proof IMO, moreso than machines that can be more aggressive. Other than that "accommodate certain contours" issue, I`d have zero reservations handing one to a complete Newbie though I would want to make sure that Newbie had the right knowledge base/mindset.

For LSPing by machine, including buffing off with MF bonnets, as Bill D said, it`s a genuine *pleasure* to work with. Even though I sure don`t think using polishers qualifies as "pleasure"! Mine don`t even have the modern counterbalancing setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Weren`t the Cyclo pads made by B&S? Same foams with different Velcro backing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Weren`t the Cyclo pads made by B&S? Same foams with different Velcro backing?
    Huh, I thought they were made by whomever made them for Edge.

Assuming (uh-oh..) they`re the same as they`ve always been, the Cyclo Green Polishing pads have been around since forever, dating to pre-velcro days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I believe at one point they did.... I could be wrong tho.
    They did and had a big sale just about giving the stuff away. Before the sale it was not talked about enough, not sure why.

Post Thanks / Like

S40

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information