Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name your top three finishing/jeweling polishes.

I`m in the process of testing out some of the finishing polishes I have with the Novo-Gloss Trio gloss meter. Everything measured at the 60 degree angle. All polishing was performed consecutively. Different pressures and passes throughout, just trying to find something that could have bumped gloss up significantly. Today`s test I pulled out Meguiar`s M110, M210, Perfect Finish, and Menz 3800. Tomorrow I can try Perfecting Cream, HD Polish+, and Essence.

Pads are Buff and Shine flat foam, so I have the type of polish, the tool, and the pad color listed after the gloss measurement.

96.9 Pre-Compound Baseline (Prep-All wiped)

Meguiar`s M110
    95.5 M110 GG6 Green
    95.7 Prep All

Hood Left Half

Meguiar`s M210
    96.5 M210 GG6 Black
    96.7 Eraser
    96.8 Prep All

96.8 M210 Rotary
    97.0 Prep All

Sonax Perfect Finish
    97.1 Perfect Finish Rotary Blue
    97.1 Prep All

Menzerna 3800
    97.1 Menz 3800 GG6 Red
    97.2 Prep All

97.1 Menz 3800 Rotary Red
    97.3 Prep All

97.1 3800 GG6 Red 3800
    97.3 Prep All

97.2 3800 Maxshine M15 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Perfect Finish
    97.3 Perfect Finish Maxshine M15 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Meguiar`s M210
    97.0 M210 Maxshine M15 Blue
    97.1 Prep All

Menzerna 3800
    97.1 3800 GG6 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Meguiar`s M210
    97.0 M210 GG6 Red
    97.3 Prep All

97.1 Pinnacle Souveran

Hood Right Half:

96.8 3800 GG6 Red
    97.0 Prep All

97.0 Perfect Finish GG6 Red
    97.2 Prep All

96.8 Zymol Vintage

Overall we have a 96.8 reading after M210 on the GG6 bumped up to a max limit of 97.3 done after Menz 3800 on the rotary. So half a gloss unit jump measured after all of that polishing which would largely not be detectable by the naked eye IMO. Panel wipe performed with Klean Strip Prep-All, definitely my favorite of the panel wipes I`ve tried out, although the solvent smell is fairly strong on it. 40+ measurements done per section. Small dip on the measurements after applying the waxes which is to be expected until the first wash which should remove any significant oils. Slight increase in the measurements after the panel wipe that removes any leftover polishing oils. Readings are referenced against a Rhopoint 93.7GU calibration tile.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I`m in the process of testing out some of the finishing polishes I have with the Novo-Gloss Trio gloss meter. Everything measured at the 60 degree angle. All polishing was performed consecutively. Different pressures and passes throughout, just trying to find something that could have bumped gloss up significantly. Today`s test I pulled out Meguiar`s M110, M210, Perfect Finish, and Menz 3800. Tomorrow I can try Perfecting Cream, HD Polish+, and Essence.

Pads are Buff and Shine flat foam, so I have the type of polish, the tool, and the pad color listed after the gloss measurement.

96.9 Pre-Compound Baseline (Prep-All wiped)

Meguiar`s M110
    95.5 M110 GG6 Green
    95.7 Prep All

Hood Left Half

Meguiar`s M210
    96.5 M210 GG6 Black
    96.7 Eraser
    96.8 Prep All

96.8 M210 Rotary
    97.0 Prep All

Sonax Perfect Finish
    97.1 Perfect Finish Rotary Blue
    97.1 Prep All

Menzerna 3800
    97.1 Menz 3800 GG6 Red
    97.2 Prep All

97.1 Menz 3800 Rotary Red
    97.3 Prep All

97.1 3800 GG6 Red 3800
    97.3 Prep All

97.2 3800 Maxshine M15 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Perfect Finish
    97.3 Perfect Finish Maxshine M15 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Meguiar`s M210
    97.0 M210 Maxshine M15 Blue
    97.1 Prep All

Menzerna 3800
    97.1 3800 GG6 Red
    97.3 Prep All

Meguiar`s M210
    97.0 M210 GG6 Red
    97.3 Prep All

97.1 Pinnacle Souveran

Hood Right Half:

96.8 3800 GG6 Red
    97.0 Prep All

97.0 Perfect Finish GG6 Red
    97.2 Prep All

96.8 Zymol Vintage

Overall we have a 96.8 reading after M210 on the GG6 bumped up to a max limit of 97.3 done after Menz 3800 on the rotary. So half a gloss unit jump measured after all of that polishing which would largely not be detectable by the naked eye IMO. Panel wipe performed with Klean Strip Prep-All, definitely my favorite of the panel wipes I`ve tried out, although the solvent smell is fairly strong on it. 40+ measurements done per section. Small dip on the measurements after applying the waxes which is to be expected until the first wash which should remove any significant oils. Slight increase in the measurements after the panel wipe that removes any leftover polishing oils. Readings are referenced against a Rhopoint 93.7GU calibration tile.
    Could you move this to a separate new thread? It is very interesting and deserves its own spot. I would like to see Menz 3500 results. Also foam vs microfiber vs wool readings.
    Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As noted above it deserves it`s own thread Loach! That is always interesting to see the difference between polishes.

/ Tony
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the recent Adam`s white pads vs the ones they had a year ago? They told me the new ones have a "little more bite but still provide a nicely jeweled finish".

I bought the micro swirl killer plus blue and white pads for very small correction areas (etching from bird droppings, sap, etc). Would this new white pad with the extra bite but finishing qualities be enough to get rid of a dull etched spot (smaller than a dime) with the finishing polish, or start with their correcting polish (and maybe even use it on the blue pad), then finishing polish/white pad? I just want to minimize the use of compound.

And, which option would get rid of ceramic high spots, where it looks like an oily hologram? I guess that means after almost a year, the CQuartzUK 3.0 is still working.

Post Thanks / Like

How good is Loach!..... much respect dude

Likes Loach, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPT View Post
    ...[I want to]... get rid of a dull etched spot (smaller than a dime) with the finishing polish...
    Off-topic, but I`d sure inspect that with magnification *first* to determine whether additional abrasion is gonna make things better as opposed to worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are resurrecting a year-old thread, where do Griot`s Garage BOSS Finishing Sealant and McKee`s 37 Jeweling Wax fit into this jeweling process, if at all?

It is funny that when I asked several years ago in August of 2016 about jeweling (https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...tml?highlight=) no one answered. My concern was IF it was worth it and, if so, how it was being done and with what products.

Loach, you are an Autopian All-Star for taking the time to test, measure, record and post your polishes gloss results. A truly objective detailing/science experiment. Kudos!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ..It is funny that when I asked several years ago in August of 2016 about jeweling .. My concern was IF it was worth it and, if so, how it was being done and with what products.
    Note that ..."half a gloss unit jump measured after all of that polishing which would largely not be detectable by the naked eye IMO. "

Though that does not, IMO, mean nobody would actually notice a diff IRL. But I suspect it`s a matter of *some* people looking at *some* paints under *some* conditions and those highly discerning people thinking "that one there looks a tiny bit better, but I can`t really say why".

That`s basically what happens when I follow M205 with something that I believe gives a better finish.

I always question whether Jeweling-imparted diffs will survive Real Life, including Maintenance Washes. When we`re talking diffs that aren`t really naked-eye-obvious, I just don`t see it taking much, uhm..."damage"...to nullify that.

Loach, you are an Autopian All-Star for taking the time to test, measure, record and post your polishes gloss results. A truly objective detailing/science experiment. Kudos!
    Yes indeed! And I for one found the inclusion of Souveran, and its performance (did *not* diminish the gloss that much), interesting too. Heh heh, that "first wash that removes polishing oils" will probably pretty much remove the Souveran too!

Yeah, I wonder about the GG Polishing Sealant and that Finishing Wax. With LSPs generally diminishing the gloss (compared to polished-but-bare paint), whatever LSP-stuff those leave behind might do....?what?

When I follow something like M205 (with the TSO stripped off) with my [Finishing Polishes that leave stuff behind], it`s a noticeable improvement that I find obvious. I`ve always wondered whether it was the additional/lighter polishing or the LSP-stuff or a combo of the two, or...what?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Wow over a year ago since I last posted up some numbers, I`ll run some tests tomorrow and we`ll do another round of numbers. I haven`t witnessed above the 97-98GU ceiling yet for this panel at the 60° measurement angle. I`ve lost count of how many times I`ve polished the test hood out since then, but without wetsanding we appear to be maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Since we are resurrecting a year-old thread, where do Griot`s Garage BOSS Finishing Sealant and McKee`s 37 Jeweling Wax fit into this jeweling process, if at all?

It is funny that when I asked several years ago in August of 2016 about jeweling (https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...tml?highlight=) no one answered. My concern was IF it was worth it and, if so, how it was being done and with what products.

Thanks Lonnie! I was actually at the Mobile Tech Expo on Saturday, and I was chatting with Rod Kraft at Griot`s who I hadn`t met before about the entire lineup, and we get to the Finishing Sealant and he goes and hands me a bottle and says, try this out, you`re going to absolutely love this stuff. So I will be able to pair up the Finishing Sealant next to the Jeweling Wax and we`ll see what kind of numbers we can pull out of the paint! Love the scent they put on the abrasives in the BOSS line, not too strong, but very pleasant and it has me reaching for the Perfecting Cream much more often now compared to others.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it hasn`t been listed: Xtreme Solutions LVR 403, unless you are strictly staying to polishes that do not leave any protection behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    If it hasn`t been listed: Xtreme Solutions LVR 403, unless you are strictly staying to polishes that do not leave any protection behind.
    Huh, another one I`ve never heard of!

Post Thanks / Like

1-Reflect
    2-Reflect
    3-Reflect

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish is all I use for awhile now (I have a large bottle) and it always leaves a very glossy, reflective surface.

If AIOs count, Essence is lovely and so is Pinnacle Jeweling Wax (I think same abrasives as my first choice above).

Post Thanks / Like

BlackLight

(I realize that last is widely loathed here)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    If AIOs count, Essence is lovely and so is Pinnacle Jeweling Wax (I think same abrasives as my first choice above).
    As somebody who simply *LOVES* using AIOs/leaves-stuff-behind products for burnishing, I appreciate your mentioning that (just in case I don`t really have a lifetime supply after all ).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information