Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That Jag actually doesn’t look that bad. It always difficult without a physical examination to really tell. I can see there is a good bit of money to be made, especially on high end cars—if you know what you are doing, which I do not. Lol. If you could get it for $30k and put $15k into repairs it should sell at $55k. Jags are low production cars so getting panels might not be easy. They have been making the F-Type since 2014 so there may be some junked panels out there. Shame, it’s a nice car. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge. I’m learning a lot.
    Well the highest bid didn`t go more than $21k so the seller obviously declined and re-listed the car so there is still time to buy!
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Well the highest bid didn`t go more than $21k so the seller obviously declined and re-listed the car so there is still time to buy!
    These Jags are all Aluminum and from what I can gather Aluminum is a pain to work with. There are two Jags on Cargurus with branded titles for hail damage. I talked to the owner and told him he was asking way too much for the cars. I had to explain depreciation plus the branded title minus a warranty meant lower price. I think he bought them hoping for a quick flip and profit. The pictures were awful, he didn’t even both to wipe the dust off the cars before posting. Some people...

Why don’t you buy the car, fix it up and sell it to me? Seriously, how much do you think the seller wanted for the car? Looks like cosmetic damage, but you never know until you start trying to fix something and then all the small stuff bites you on the butt. Doesn’t look like frame damage. From my research the new Jags are pretty reliable cars. I guess the house of Lucas didn’t do the electronics.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    These Jags are all Aluminum and from what I can gather Aluminum is a pain to work with. There are two Jags on Cargurus with branded titles for hail damage. I talked to the owner and told him he was asking way too much for the cars. I had to explain depreciation plus the branded title minus a warranty meant lower price. I think he bought them hoping for a quick flip and profit. The pictures were awful, he didn’t even both to wipe the dust off the cars before posting. Some people...

Why don’t you buy the car, fix it up and sell it to me? Seriously, how much do you think the seller wanted for the car? Looks like cosmetic damage, but you never know until you start trying to fix something and then all the small stuff bites you on the butt. Doesn’t look like frame damage. From my research the new Jags are pretty reliable cars. I guess the house of Lucas didn’t do the electronics.

Yeah hail damage is an easy fix, so he probably just thought it would be an easy sale for a ton of money which is never the case with higher end cars because the buyer pool is very small.

As for that one listed at auction now I would say the seller wants at least $25k, but may try and hold out for more. I`ve seen cars get relisted for months before the seller eventually came to the conclusion that they are not going to get what they "think" it`s worth. I would say that car probably has a lot of issue underneath and more than likely some frame rail damage. If you look close the left wheel is turned and the right wheel is straight. So at a minimum they axel is bad and will need to be replaced not to mention all the little parts in the engine bay. If the frame rail is bent the body shop would have to take the entire front end off and either cut out the bent part or try and get it as straight as possible. The good part is it’s a rear wheel drive so it won’t affect the drivetrain. Not a quick and easy fix, but shouldn’t be more than $5k. If you bought used sourced parts it would probably be half of that and the out the door costs would be around $30k. As you mentioned you don’t get a warranty, but with an extra $30k in the bank you could easily drop an entire new engine in it if it ever failed and still have another $20k to buy the wife something nice!
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah hail damage is an easy fix..
    I wouldn`t have thought so on an aluminum car, given my experiences with having stuff fixed on the Audis.."hail damaged roof" sounds problematic to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I wouldn`t have thought so on an aluminum car, given my experiences with having stuff fixed on the Audis.."hail damaged roof" sounds problematic to me.
    You would think so, but I know a guy in TX who specializes in hail fixing and believe it or not on the roof he uses a fancy hot glue gun and a tool to pull the dents out. He can do a full car in a couple of days.

Sample video

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT- But on *aluminum*? The Chargers have steel roofs, don`t they? Last I heard, my Audi dealer simply Totals aluminum cars with hail damage because they just can`t be make perfect again.

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT- But on *aluminum*? The Chargers have steel roofs, don`t they? Last I heard, my Audi dealer simply Totals aluminum cars with hail damage because they just can`t be make perfect again.
    That was a sample video I found where it just happens to be a charger. There are over 4000 cars sold right this second nationwide because of hail damage. Keep in mind you will never get it "perfect", but they can sure get them dayumm close so if you want a $80k car for less than half that hail damage or any paint damage for that matter is a good quick and easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

PDR Guys are magicians. I had some work done on my car and you can’t tell there was ever a problem. I would have to see an example on an aluminum panel before I bought a Jag with hail damage. Aluminum doesn’t have the “memory” that steel does. They might have to use heat to get it back into shape.

I didn’t know these guys were in Georgia. I used a company called Dentsmart that works the southeastern US. Excellent work.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s some pdr guys who can get good results with aluminum. Had a small dent in the aluminum roof on my Lexus sc430. Found the right guy who made it perfect. That was only working it from the outside, because you couldn`t get access from the inside where it was. Most pdr guys won`t do it though. It took me a couple of weeks of research to find the right guy. The one time I`ll say thank goodness we lived in Houston then. It cost more and I wouldn`t think about a hail damaged car. One or two dents yes.
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a sample video I found where it just happens to be a charger. There are over 4000 cars sold right this second nationwide because of hail damage. Keep in mind you will never get it "perfect", but they can sure get them dayumm close so if you want a $80k car for less than half that hail damage or any paint damage for that matter is a good quick and easy fix.
    My PDR guy in WA could Always get it Perfect.. Even on car tops working under the headliner..
    I could never find the damage after he finished.. And believe me, I can spot and feel anything..
    The only way he ever gets a break from work is to go away on vacation.. Far away..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

... Keep in mind you will never get it "perfect", but they can sure get them dayumm close so if you want a $80k car for less than half that hail damage or any paint damage for that matter is a good quick and easy fix.
    OK, I`d figured they couldn`t really get it perfect so for us that`s a good reason to Total it; we`d write off any of ours in a heartbeat over something like that. Eh, guess we`re just not in the target demographic for that, but I`d wondered whether there was some new process they could use on aluminum to get it back to oe-quality.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve kinda stayed out of this one as I have a personal bias against repaired cars (with a larger bias against CarFaxes which people trust for whether cars have had body repair or not). I`ve chased a fair number of cars with deeper damage from "simple" stuff like hitting curbs, let alone larger collisions that would move them to be totaled. You`ll have the car on the alignment rack after suspension/subframe replacement and still not be able to get the numbers in spec.

Thought of this thread while I was searching for something else at work. From a BMW training manual:

"Body RepairRepairing an aluminum body requires completely new repair methods in body shops withproperly trained personnel, as well as proper tools and equipment.

Aluminum materials can not be “stretched”, this rules out the possibility of pulling on astraightening bench. Components deformed as a result of an accident must always bereplaced, which incurs more extensive training, tools and assembly procedures than is thecase with steel bodies.

Using the frame rail as an example, deformed E60 aluminum components must be cut offat permanently defined points and replaced by new components.

Special insert repair elements made of aluminumare required to ensure that the replacement partsare safely and securely held in place."

Just wanted to throw that out there. Depending on the level of damage, you then have to worry about the integrity/corrosion resistance of frame repairs. Also, in the industry we have a fear of all the cars flooded in the various hurricanes, as you know many of them will end up resurfacing with crazy electrical problems down the road...

A friend at the dealership had a 7 series with all sorts of crazy problems - when doing further digging, he found numerous control modules had been replaced with junkyard parts. I can`t remember how many different VIN numbers were in different modules.

Not saying repairing damaged cars can`t turn out ok, but man I`d want to be careful.

Sorry - **Steps off soap box**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    There`s some pdr guys who can get good results with aluminum. Had a small dent in the aluminum roof on my Lexus sc430. Found the right guy who made it perfect..
    Ah, so maybe sometimes it *does* work out OK! But one small dent is different from "aluminum car got caught in hailstorm".

And yeah...I do know a little from "repairing aluminum bodies" as both the A8 and S8 have been in, uhm..incidents, especially the A8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    There`s some pdr guys who can get good results with aluminum. Had a small dent in the aluminum roof on my Lexus sc430. Found the right guy who made it perfect. That was only working it from the outside, because you couldn`t get access from the inside where it was. Most pdr guys won`t do it though. It took me a couple of weeks of research to find the right guy. The one time I`ll say thank goodness we lived in Houston then. It cost more and I wouldn`t think about a hail damaged car. One or two dents yes.
    Ah, so maybe sometimes it *does* work out OK! But one small dent is different from "aluminum car got caught in hailstorm".

And yeah...I do know a little from "repairing aluminum bodies" as both the A8 and S8 have been in, uhm..incidents, especially the A8.
    like I said hail damage no. A small dent or two ok. I could have been a little more exact in what I said. It took the guy about 45 minutes on a dent the size of a quarter, and $200 dollars. It was rather shallow too, but it was right where you saw it every time getting into the car. If it had been steel it would have taken him five minutes. Absolutely aluminum is a whole different animal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information