Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?

As a newbie I definitely wouldn`t be taking on this job, but just out of curiosity is a deep scratch below clear something that can be easily fixed without having the repaint the entire area? Also what about a huge bucket of paint poured out on the dash and the seat?? My shop guy said a full repaint on each panel and replace the dash and seat is would it would take, but of course he would make a good amount on the repair so I`m trying to see if it can be saved cheaper or not.

DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?-.jpg

DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?-interior.jpg

From time to time me and my bro will pickup cars cheap from auction and flip them if they are a quick and easy fix or just keep them for a couple of years. Since the above car was keyed from front to back down to the paint it AND had a bucket of paint tossed inside the insurance company is letting it go as is with no reserve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?

LGHT- Oh boy, that`s a project all right!

The currently MIA Brad did an airbrushed repair on his Porsche that proved such paint repairs *can* be done. But that`s Brad, working on *his* personal car, in *his* shop, with *his* skill set. The only guy I know who could do it isn`t long for this world and the younger guys I know just don`t have the skills Maybe there`s somebody OK in your area, but OH MAN would I be careful because 99% of the guys who do such stuff are, uhm...hacks.

IMO the interior bits should just be replaced. But *somebody* here would probably try to just remove the paint and ?who knows?. I`d budget for replacement and then try to fix it just in case.

Somebody with the right parts car and skills could make a killing on this; somebody without those could *get* killed ($-wise).

Big lesson here is to not [tick] off the wrong person!
    Likes 06vrss liked this post
    Thanks 06vrss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LGHT- Oh boy, that`s a project all right!

The currently MIA Brad did an airbrushed repair on his Porsche that proved such paint repairs *can* be done. But that`s Brad, working on *his* personal car, in *his* shop, with *his* skill set. The only guy I know who could do it isn`t long for this world and the younger guys I know just don`t have the skills Maybe there`s somebody OK in your area, but OH MAN would I be careful because 99% of the guys who do such stuff are, uhm...hacks.

IMO the interior bits should just be replaced. But *somebody* here would probably try to just remove the paint and ?who knows?. I`d budget for replacement and then try to fix it just in case.

Somebody with the right parts car and skills could make a killing on this; somebody without those could *get* killed ($-wise).
    Big lesson here is to not [tick] off the wrong person!
    Well if I have to do any paint I wouldn`t bother because it`s a 2010 650i with 72k miles on it. Just not worth the time and effort as it would be around $2k to get a seat, dash, carpet and to paint the entire car. It will probably sell for around $6k after fees tax and license so at $8k for a 2010 650i done isn`t much of a "deal". Now if the right person could "fix" the scratch he could have the card done for around $6500 it`s a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to sound disparaging, but IMO it`s best to remember on those _50`s that you probably don`t want to own one (even if only briefly) unless you could afford one when they were new. They never stop being $60K+ cars.

LGHT - I get that from the sound of your vehicle lineup that it probably wouldn`t be an issue, I just mention it because I saw the mention of "Cheap" and "keeping it a couple years".

We had a customer that had a 750Li that he bought new from the dealer that had a coolant leak and an airbag light - when he asked them what he could get for trading it in, they told him scrap value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Hate to sound disparaging, but IMO it`s best to remember on those _50`s that you probably don`t want to own one (even if only briefly) unless you could afford one when they were new. They never stop being $60K+ cars.

LGHT - I get that from the sound of your vehicle lineup that it probably wouldn`t be an issue, I just mention it because I saw the mention of "Cheap" and "keeping it a couple years".

We had a customer that had a 750Li that he bought new from the dealer that had a coolant leak and an airbag light - when he asked them what he could get for trading it in, they told him scrap value.
    haha I get all my cars from auction for around 30-50% current blu-book. Granted they are used and need some work. I actually never go over 50% of blue book ever. Here in CA they sale about 2,000-3,000 auction cars a month so it`s a buyers market if your willing to do a little work to get them up to speed. For me (far from a mechanic) I focus on Euro cars between 50-70k miles that ONLY need cosmetic work that my body guy can turn over fairly quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some acetonei. I know a lot of people on here will be against acetone. But in this case it really couldn’t hurt. A good steamer would be another option. I’ve used steam on spilled paint on trim before with good success.
    Likes LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if it is water or oil base

Post Thanks / Like

I passed on the car. It end up selling for $4750 which is too much for a hard top that could cost $2k to fix. Plus there is an 07 with 31k miles that needs less work on the radar..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    As a newbie I definitely wouldn`t be taking on this job, but just out of curiosity is a deep scratch below clear something that can be easily fixed without having the repaint the entire area? Also what about a huge bucket of paint poured out on the dash and the seat?? My shop guy said a full repaint on each panel and replace the dash and seat is would it would take, but of course he would make a good amount on the repair so I`m trying to see if it can be saved cheaper or not.

From time to time me and my bro will pickup cars cheap from auction and flip them if they are a quick and easy fix or just keep them for a couple of years. Since the above car was keyed from front to back down to the paint it AND had a bucket of paint tossed inside the insurance company is letting it go as is with no reserve.
    Richie has done great repairs on stuff like that with touchup paint and wet sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    Try some acetonei. I know a lot of people on here will be against acetone. But in this case it really couldn’t hurt. A good steamer would be another option. I’ve used steam on spilled paint on trim before with good success.
    How does it do with spray paint? Another one just popped up that`s covered in spray paint!

DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?-a5c18d00-7cbb-4e6b-a806-c6804e965328.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

It will definitely work on the exterior. You just need to polish it after you wipe it down with acetone. We use to get wholesale vehicles at the lot that looked like this. I wouldn’t do it on a personal vehicle. But since you are going to flip it. I would go for it. You are doing the same thing we used to do. It’s crazy the stuff you see with these vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, somebody in the area really has a thing against BMWs...
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If the spray painted car was coated there shouldn’t be much of a problem as we know nothing sticks to a coating. Just joking. I hate people that mess with other people’s rides. Should be a special place in Hell for those folks.
    Likes JSFM35X, Stokdgs, GTB, mumps liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Man, somebody in the area really has a thing against BMWs...
    Wonder if that`s a reflection on the Bimmer Demographic in that area; in my neck of the woods, BMW SUVs are basically the Official Vehicle of [Jerks]. Not that *that* excuses such [stuff] or that I should be blaming the victim or that I`ve never had a vehicle vandalized (i.e., I do empathize with the owner).

LGHT- Glad you passed on that for whatever reason.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wonder if that`s a reflection on the Bimmer Demographic in that area; in my neck of the woods, BMW SUVs are basically the Official Vehicle of [Jerks]. Not that *that* excuses such [stuff] or that I should be blaming the victim or that I`ve never had a vehicle vandalized (i.e., I do empathize with the owner).

LGHT- Glad you passed on that for whatever reason.
    I was thinking of buying a BMW MX5. With all that power I could be a big jerk. The X5 is a nice machine.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information