Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP scratch and a bucket of paint inside can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I was thinking of buying a BMW MX5. With all that power I could be a big jerk. The X5 is a nice machine.
    Hey RL !
    You know, those dang cars run and handle so good, it seems like everyone just gets too excited and finds they can drive like maniacs and still be in control or something..

Around here in farmland country the only "Jerks" I see are people in Nissan Altima`s... Really??? You want to tailgate me in an Altima???

We had a new X5 back in 2003 and even back then it was a great SAV..
    Had to make that 700 mile round trip through the Cascades to Spokane and back, every weekend to take care of my Father-in-Law, who was in poor health..
    That Bimmer made that trip so much better and safer...

Once a huge boulder came off of the top of those mountains and landed square on a Volvo and squashed it flat..

Now the newer ones have so much more "stuff" in them and I hear they have lost the "Driver`s Car" feel that BMW was famous for..
    Who knows...
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Sawyer65 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The BMW dealer uses X5s to ferry customers to the mall while they wait on service. I have rode in three but have never driven one. I prefer coupe/sedans but these X5s are nice. I don’t know if I can talk myself into one. I’m still in the search phase of car buying. Every time I think I have found the “one” I find something that I think I might like better. I go back and forth between the BMW M2 and a used Jag F-Type. Living in the rural South means no dealers of upscale vehicles near me so I have to factor in the pain of driving 150 or more miles for service from an authorized dealer. First world problems. Lol
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of buying a BMW MX5. With all that power I could be a big jerk..
    Noting that "There`s nothing worse than a reformed [anything]..", in this case I`m a sterling example Finally got my head of out of my [posterior] after I had enough serious Training in controlled conditions to take it all, well.. seriously.

These days anybody who drives like a [jerk] on public roads is on my [crap] list. (Just driving fast, even *very* fast, doesn`t qualify as long as they`re doing it right.) I`ve never known a genuinely SKILLED driver who does irresponsible stuff on the street. Never. They know the real risks too well.

And my wife has noticed the BMW X-factor (heh heh, to coin a phrase ) in our area too. We actually make a point of giving those a wide berth as BMW SUVs simply do bad things all the [freakin`] time around here.

Heh heh, even when they`re not driving them! Last time a [female individual] literally just purposely rolled a shopping cart into my Tahoe and walked away, guess what she was driving...

Post Thanks / Like

Living in the rural South means no dealers of upscale vehicles near me so I have to factor in the pain of driving 150 or more miles for service from an authorized dealer. First world problems. Lol
    That`s what I have to go through to find shops that I`ll trust with my vehicles. Can be an issue if one really *dies*. Very few Tow Experiences end 100% OK.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly there are a LOT of these vehicles up for sale. I only focus on low mile Europeans and for some odd reason you almost never see a Mercedes like this, but a LOT of BMW`s lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat off the topic, but what is your take on vehicles with branded titles? I’m looking at Jag F-Types and there is a company that specializes is taking cars with branded titles and refurbishing them. I’ve looked at pictures and I can’t see anything wrong cosmetically. I worry about the electronics on such cars. Hell, I worry about electronics on brand new cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Given what we go through with our incredibly pampered vehicles, IMO buying something with Mystery Aspects might oughta be left to guys who can sort out *anything and everything* that could possibly come up....and who will then ship them to overseas buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT
    I only focus on low mile Europeans and for some odd reason you almost never see a Mercedes like this, but a LOT of BMW`s lol..
    I suspect there are, uhm...demographic factors in play that are related to the people who buy (and especially those who LEASE) such vehicles for reasons *other* than how they drive.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat off the topic, but what is your take on vehicles with branded titles? I’m looking at Jag F-Types and there is a company that specializes is taking cars with branded titles and refurbishing them. I’ve looked at pictures and I can’t see anything wrong cosmetically. I worry about the electronics on such cars. Hell, I worry about electronics on brand new cars.
    Most cars with a "branded / salvaged title" are perfectly fine. In fact I currently own and drive 2 of them and have sold several in the past. The key is knowing what was wrong with the car that caused it to be branded. Was it flooded, caught on fire, or was just vandalized by someone who put spray paint over it? Both the above cars I’m considering have branded titles. The first car was a 2010 650i that sells for between $16k and $18.5k on cargurus with 70k miles. That car sold at auction for $4750 and after tax and title you’re out the door for $6000, which is about 30% of its actual used value. I passed because I don’t want to pay to get a full paint job on it and have to replace the dash. Even though I know a lot of people in the business and live in cali where I can find parts locally for dirt cheap I just didn’t want to put that much time and effort into it because I don’t do any of the work so I have to pay someone else. If you do the work yourself it could be worth it.

The 2nd car however is worth it if I don’t have pay my guy to put FULL paint job on it. It’s a 2015 528 with 50k miles and is worth around $20k. That car will probably sale for around $6-7k as is with a branded title. If I can put acetone on it and polish it out myself then just replace the front and rear windshields your talking about a few hundred bucks to fix. Even if I sold it for $10k I would still make $3-4k for doing little to nothing to it. Who wouldn’t want a car worth $20k for $10k because it used to have spray paint on it and has a branded title?

The reason insurance companies sale it at auction and declare it a total loss because the owner is entitled to get the car back in the same condition it was BEFORE it was damaged. So that means a new paint job for the entire car and new glass from BMW. Most body shops would charge $12-14k to make it look like new again. The formula is typically 40-50% of value. If the car cost more than that to fix off to the auction it goes and they just pay out the owner. If it`s leased it`s even less because most people just sign a new lease so the leasing dealer never looses money.

Some cars look almost perfect and just have a bent bumper. However if you look really close you may see some frame damage. Sometimes they run over a curb lol. Even if a car has a 2” frame bend it’s off to auction. You can actually fix those pretty easy, if you have a frame puller. Those are the quick and easy fixes you want to buy.

Check out this guys You Tube channel he’s a guy who buys cars at auction and fixes / sells them. https://www.youtube.com/user/Samcrac
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Given what we go through with our incredibly pampered vehicles, IMO buying something with Mystery Aspects might oughta be left to guys who can sort out *anything and everything* that could possibly come up....and who will then ship them to overseas buyers.

I suspect there are, uhm...demographic factors in play that are related to the people who buy (and especially those who LEASE) such vehicles for reasons *other* than how they drive.
    You would be surprised to know states like California than 50% of all vehicles in the state have a branded title. Mainly because so many people now and days are on their phone while driving and the way they make cars the costs to fix is just too much money.

If you go to 1 auction house and filter just the salvaged title cars on sale right this second in California it`s over 5,000!! I think they sale around 50,000 salvaged cars a month in California alone.

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT, thanks for the knowledge. I always thought a branded title meant the car was severely damaged almost to the point of no return. There is a company called T.J. Chapman in Salt Lake City, UT that specializes in branded cars. They’ve got a 2017 Jag F-Type for $59k, only 2,884 miles on the clock. Very, very tempting. Still a lot of money, but a lot better than normal. Beautiful car and the price is right where I want to be. They will sell me an extended warranty as there is no warranty on this vehicle. Any red flags I need to look for? I wish there was an Autopian in the area to check out the car for me. I trust most of the folks on this forum to know what they are looking at.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

LGHT, thanks for the knowledge. I always thought a branded title meant the car was severely damaged almost to the point of no return. There is a company called T.J. Chapman in Salt Lake City, UT that specializes in branded cars. They’ve got a 2017 Jag F-Type for $59k, only 2,884 miles on the clock. Very, very tempting. Still a lot of money, but a lot better than normal. Beautiful car and the price is right where I want to be. They will sell me an extended warranty as there is no warranty on this vehicle. Any red flags I need to look for? I wish there was an Autopian in the area to check out the car for me. I trust most of the folks on this forum to know what they are looking at.
    Amigo,
    That is a great find ! Wonder why it`s so inexpensive..
    Just keep in mind that all of these cars - BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, etc., require frequent check ups by the Dealer or a very good Independent dealer with those same very expensive computers...

For example, you cannot just go replace the Battery in the BMW you just bought without telling the Bimmer computer you did it, so it can reset how it read the old battery and now is reading the output, and charging rate, for a different battery..
    Yeah, I know, zillions of people just ignore the warning lights, etc., and go on their merry way for awhile and all is great.. And the Bimmer that got a new battery without "registering" it with the computer is going to have less life, because the computer is going to be charging it too much all the time..

I don`t want to be one of those people..

When I worked out of that awesome Independent Bimmer/Porsche/Audi repair shop, I saw hundreds of cars come in where the owner ignored a lot of things, and then, it was for some people, the cost to fix the beautiful little Audi Avant, was now way, way, more, than the car was worth, and the people were still paying on it...

I guess what I`m trying to say is that there is going to be a cost to drive one of those above vehicles long term, if you want to do it right, and not have too many surprises..
    Yes, you can probably get someone on here, etc., to go look at the car for you, but you still don`t know how those low miles went., and if there is not some damage to the engine, etc., because someone drove it really hard when it was not even broken in properly..

BMW USED to make all new Owners bring in their vehicles for a mandatory drain all the fluids appointment at 1,200 miles !
    Then when they did the math, and saw they were paying this huge amount of money for this, they changed it to only M Cars get all the fluids drained at 1,200 miles..
    Just keep the old adage in mind - "If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is"..

Sending you a PM..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the misconception is the car has to be sooo bad you can`t ever fix it, but in reality the insurance company is just saying it would costs too much to get it back to new using a dealer. We all know how dealer prices are so much more than a guy working in his garage.

As for the Jag it`s a big questions mark which is the problem and why some vehicles are not worth it. When I sale a branded titled car I give them buyer a "pre-inspection" report of the car and give them pics of the before and after and show them exactly why it was "totaled" out by the insurance company and what I had to do to fix it. That`s why most of the cars I buy only have very little damage and low miles making them an easy sale. Most people care about the engine since body parts and panels can be easily replaced.

If the seller is willing to tell you exactly why it was branded and give you pics of the before and after with documentation proof and what they did to bring it back then it may be fine. I think that car would fetch around $70k used so for $60k I would pass. Not because it`s not a good deal, but because with a little time and effort you can get it for much much less.

Here is a 2017 F-Type with 12k miles. https://www.copart.com/lot/35777408

Not sure how much it will fetch at auction, but I doubt it would go for more than $30k. Yeah it will need work and it seems like it has some wheel damage so you would need to fix that stuff, but if you got it for $30k as is you would have more than enough to pay a retail shop to get it back to speed.

Post Thanks / Like

That Jag actually doesn’t look that bad. It always difficult without a physical examination to really tell. I can see there is a good bit of money to be made, especially on high end cars—if you know what you are doing, which I do not. Lol. If you could get it for $30k and put $15k into repairs it should sell at $55k. Jags are low production cars so getting panels might not be easy. They have been making the F-Type since 2014 so there may be some junked panels out there. Shame, it’s a nice car. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge. I’m learning a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Amigo,
    That is a great find ! Wonder why it`s so inexpensive..
    Just keep in mind that all of these cars - BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, etc., require frequent check ups by the Dealer or a very good Independent dealer with those same very expensive computers...

For example, you cannot just go replace the Battery in the BMW you just bought without telling the Bimmer computer you did it, so it can reset how it read the old battery and now is reading the output, and charging rate, for a different battery..
    Yeah, I know, zillions of people just ignore the warning lights, etc., and go on their merry way for awhile and all is great.. And the Bimmer that got a new battery without "registering" it with the computer is going to have less life, because the computer is going to be charging it too much all the time..

I don`t want to be one of those people..

When I worked out of that awesome Independent Bimmer/Porsche/Audi repair shop, I saw hundreds of cars come in where the owner ignored a lot of things, and then, it was for some people, the cost to fix the beautiful little Audi Avant, was now way, way, more, than the car was worth, and the people were still paying on it...

I guess what I`m trying to say is that there is going to be a cost to drive one of those above vehicles long term, if you want to do it right, and not have too many surprises..
    Yes, you can probably get someone on here, etc., to go look at the car for you, but you still don`t know how those low miles went., and if there is not some damage to the engine, etc., because someone drove it really hard when it was not even broken in properly..

BMW USED to make all new Owners bring in their vehicles for a mandatory drain all the fluids appointment at 1,200 miles !
    Then when they did the math, and saw they were paying this huge amount of money for this, they changed it to only M Cars get all the fluids drained at 1,200 miles..
    Just keep the old adage in mind - "If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is"..

Sending you a PM..
    Dan F
    I got your PM and reached out to the man to see if he is interested and able to help.

I just went through the battery registration fiasco on my BMW, what an asinine system. Luckily the batteries last about 7 years. Since this Jag would be without a warranty (scares me) I would call my semi-local Indie to see if he evens works on Jags. So far everything I have read on the Jags suggest great reliability (amazing for a Jag). I’m going to continue my research before I do anything. I think I will contact the dealer to discuss why the car had a branded title and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

That Jag actually doesn’t look that bad. It always difficult without a physical examination to really tell. I can see there is a good bit of money to be made, especially on high end cars—if you know what you are doing, which I do not. Lol. If you could get it for $30k and put $15k into repairs it should sell at $55k. Jags are low production cars so getting panels might not be easy. They have been making the F-Type since 2014 so there may be some junked panels out there. Shame, it’s a nice car. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge. I’m learning a lot.
    You would think there is more money in expensive cars, but there isn`t. Most people who want to drive higher end cars either lease them or just buy them new so they can have the comfort and re-assurance of a dealer and a warranty. Plus not many people have say $30k in the bank to buy a car and a lot of lenders don`t want to get involved with cars that have a branded title as the re-sale value is always a huge question mark. Those cars are basically only purchased to drive by guys who want to keep them and own them which is why they are even cheaper than cars in the $5-$15k price range. The last 2 cars I bought where from TX and OR. Surprising I didn`t get to see either of them before I bought them, but I did hire an inspector to go out and put and OBD on it check codes, turn them on, and check for major frame damage. That car probably has about $5k in damage unless you`re taking it to a retail shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information