Post Thanks / Like

Questions regarding modern single stage paint

Hello all! Hope everyone is ready for a hot sticky weekend, at least here in the southeast.

As title states, I`m having some issues regarding longevity of my LSP on the hood of my wife`s taffeta white `13 Honda Pilot. For those of you that remember my paint peeling thread, I`m still battling with Honda to get that issue resolved.

Anyways, I`ve been trying different techniques to make my LSP last a bit longer. I`m only getting 1 month out of Collinite 845 and 1.5mo that out of McKees Hi Def paint sealant. Water is beading like crazy everywhere else on the car, ie the front quarters, doors, hatch. It`s almost like it soaks it up into the paint and disappears.

I`ll do a 2BM followed with a CarPro ironX and clay mitt. Very little marring so I skip the Polish/AIO. I do a CarPro Eraser wipedown and then apply LSP. I`ve recently tried Mike Phillips No.7 wipedown on the hood and then apply LSP. Waiting for real-time results on this one. Does anyone know if the Meg`s No.7 glaze will work on modern single stage paints?

I will mention that when dealership did paint thickness readings for paint peeling issue, he told me he couldn`t measure the hood being how it was aluminum. Other readings varied from low to mid 3s. From reading up on it, there are some thickness gauges the read steel or aluminum or both so I`m inclined to believe him. Haven`t tried the magnet test yet. Does it matter what metal the paint is applied to?

Ultimately once paint issues are resolved, I would like to coat it but not quite sure if the hood will do the same thing as the sealants. Sorry for the lengthy post. I tend to try and include all the little details. Thanks in advance!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions regarding modern single stage paint

I am sorry the guy who measured the paint thickness of your Honda Pilot did not have a better paint thickness meter.. Geez... Even less expensive ones measure both steel and aluminum...

When you say "low to mid 3`s" what is the unit of measure - mils or microns ?

I have an aluminum hood on my 2009 Black Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, my gauge measures it all day...And the paint looks and reacts like all the rest of the paint - perfectly beautiful..

I remember Meguiars Nbr-7 Show Car Glaze from the 70`s !!!
    Everyone that participated in Car Shows used it to get that last oil-shine-glow on their vehicles at the shows...
    It should not matter if you use it on your paint, but you have to know, its not going to last but a few days, and washing it, or rain, will pretty much do it in..

The only thing different about painting aluminum is the primer put on prior to painting which needs to be a zinc-chromate primer...

Now that I think about this, tell me again, where is the paint peeling ?? If its the aluminum hood or any other panels that are aluminum, then perhaps the factory screwed this up and that may be the cause of your paint peeling....

Again, so sorry you have to deal with this and Honda is being stubborn...
    Keep after them, meet all the Regional Reps they can bring to the store... Surely, someone will get it...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the only manufacturer that was still using single stage paint was Toyota on some of their white vehicles. I wonder why Honda is still using single stage? Cost?

Post Thanks / Like

What Stokdgs said. Sheesh, even my POS meter does aluminum.

No, the paint oughta behave the same on steel and aluminum panels (I have a car with both).

I`ve had old-school single stage and some relatively modern ss (Porsche Guards Red, early `80s Benz, mid-80s Volvo, `85 Jag). I treated them basically the same as a b/c car (BTW, early b/c was more like old ss than today`s b/c).

M07 might work, but I wouldn`t use it unless there`s a specific reason in mind. I don`t even use that on my `85 Jag. Not hating on the old Mirror Glaze stuff, but today`s ss is a very different animal that such paints used to be.

AFAIK "modern" single stage oughta be treated like modern b/c (well, depending how "modern" it is..but that Honda oughta qualify IMO). I`d FK1000P it (of course), others would coat it, but IMO the first step is to get it squared away so it`s in decent condition.

If, oops...I mean "when"...it`s repainted, use something that`s fresh paint-safe for the first few months (e.g., Optimum Car Wax).

Post Thanks / Like

The paint peeling is between the windshield and moonroof. It has just about stretched the width of the windshield now. Once it starts, it just keeps going.

I believe the paint thickness gauge was in mils. That number seems awfully low for microns.

Just seems weird it`s the hood that doesn`t have the longevity. Maybe it`s the horizontal surface and the beating from the sun. I believe I`m going to coat it in the future. No offense accumulator!

This vehicle is the whole reason I`ve jumped down the rabbit hole of detailing. From oxidation to swirls to new machines/pads to a wealth of new knowledge. I would like to conquer this one if possible.

Thanks for all the insight/replies! Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW.II View Post
    The paint peeling is between the windshield and moonroof. It has just about stretched the width of the windshield now. Once it starts, it just keeps going.

I believe the paint thickness gauge was in mils. That number seems awfully low for microns.

Just seems weird it`s the hood that doesn`t have the longevity. Maybe it`s the horizontal surface and the beating from the sun. I believe I`m going to coat it in the future. No offense accumulator!

This vehicle is the whole reason I`ve jumped down the rabbit hole of detailing. From oxidation to swirls to new machines/pads to a wealth of new knowledge. I would like to conquer this one if possible.

Thanks for all the insight/replies! Much appreciated!
    Great, I was hoping it was mils.. But that is still a very low number - 3 mils = 76.2 microns of Total Thickness = Primer, Paint, Clearcoat..

It is odd that your product on the hood goes away faster... Is there hood insulation underneath the hood?

Is the top of the vehicle (minus the glass) all steel ? Aluminum ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

There is insulation on underside of hood. I imagine the roof is doing the same thing but not quite a focal point like a hood.

The roof is steel to my knowledge. I don`t recall the body shop pulling measurements there given the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW.II View Post
    There is insulation on underside of hood. I imagine the roof is doing the same thing but not quite a focal point like a hood.

The roof is steel to my knowledge. I don`t recall the body shop pulling measurements there given the obvious.

I guess I must be more curious then the body shop with the - limited use - paint thickness meter...

I would have the right meter to start with, and go over the entire vehicle including the peeling places to know how many microns average for the entire vehicle..

It it`s being painted by robots now, then let`s see how good they did it that day... But that`s just me..
    Dan F

Thread Information