Re: Polishing questions

Get the right size!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks DEwalt thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post
    Stupid question: Can I put a smaller pad on a larger backing plate? It`s a velcro plate, not the hook and loop. Or do I need to buy a backing plate to match the pad?

Thank you for all the input! Accumulator, I know you have responded several times to my post, thanks for taking time to help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    DEwalt -----
    No, you should not do that, because the edge of the backing plate is now out there to hit and ruin things for you..
    There is a reason the foam or microfiber pad overlaps the backing plate a little..

Backing plates are not expensive, you should have a 5", 4" and maybe a 3", with enough pads for each size..
    If nothing else, get the 5" backing plate and a lot of 5.5" pads for it..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DEwalt -----
    No, you should not do that, because the edge of the backing plate is now out there to hit and ruin things for you..
    There is a reason the foam or microfiber pad overlaps the backing plate a little..

Backing plates are not expensive, you should have a 5", 4" and maybe a 3", with enough pads for each size..
    If nothing else, get the 5" backing plate and a lot of 5.5" pads for it..
    Dan F
    That makes sense, thank you for pointing that out. The backing plates I have been shopping around run 25-30 bucks each :-( . On my griots DA 4 screws hold the plate on, not the single stud in the center of the plate. This is hobby adds up over time for sure. Seems like there is always something I need or want.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I looked around and cannot find that 4-screw backing plate for your machine at the Griot website..

Hope you can find one somewhere; guess that was their perhaps "Original" Random Orbital machine??

All machines even older than Griot - like the Porter Cable 7424 Sander, came with the same threaded female part in the machine head, and the threaded male part on the back of the backing plates..

Yes, Detailing at a higher level does cost a lot and in the case of those of us that do it for a living, thousands of dollars to start..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I looked around and cannot find that 4-screw backing plate for your machine at the Griot website...
    What GG Polisher are we talking about, the 3" one?

I thought that GG just sold other units (most recently the PC, my newer one has a GG-logo case) up until they brought out the GG6 and all that came after.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s this guy, I`m wondering if the screw in the center is removable and can be replaced with that adapter screw? That would make my life much easier for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

DEWalt --
    Nice pics of your Griot machine, thanks for that !
    Did you find Griot Backing Plates for your machine that use those 4 screws ???

Griot`s Random Orbital Owners - any of you have this machine or know about it ?? Pls chime in.. Thank you !

Don`t know what happens when you take that Phillips head screw out, go ahead and take it out and see what happens..

The pic of smaller diameter end of that Adapter is for all Random Orbitals that have that same size male threaded adapter..
    The big end of it is the correct size adapter for all common Rotary Backing Plates..

People like me that have way more Rotary Backing Plates than Random Orbital would get that adapter so I would not have to go buy a bunch of different sized Random Orbital Backing Plates, if I ever decided I needed to use it for something...

But it should work if the small end of that Adapter actually screws into the back of your machine after you remove that Phillips screw and washer..
    Don`t go buy the part until you see what`s behind there..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

DEwalt- Huh, I never saw that one before, sorry..looks like I won`t be of any help. I`d call Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a huge pain...I removed the screw and ran the machine, and it works fine. I made a couple of phone calls one of them to Griot`s and still have no more information than what I started with. They said one if their models does not have the ability to change plates, and I bet I have that model based on my luck in life. They could not provide any info since I did not purchase it from them. I emailed them pictures to see what they can come up with.
    In the mean time I did take some micrometers and measured the diameter of the center screw. It is smaller than 5/16ths. I was hoping to have product on the way to start working my paint over, I guess I`ll patiently wait and see if I need to purchase a new machine in order to run smaller pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post
    This is a huge pain...I removed the screw and ran the machine, and it works fine. I made a couple of phone calls one of them to Griot`s and still have no more information than what I started with. They said one if their models does not have the ability to change plates, and I bet I have that model based on my luck in life. They could not provide any info since I did not purchase it from them. I emailed them pictures to see what they can come up with.
    In the mean time I did take some micrometers and measured the diameter of the center screw. It is smaller than 5/16ths. I was hoping to have product on the way to start working my paint over, I guess I`ll patiently wait and see if I need to purchase a new machine in order to run smaller pads.

DeWalt --
    So sorry to hear that even the manufacturer Griot, could not help or offer to do something for you...
    Even if you didn`t purchase it from them, its still one of their machines - amazing they do not understand what Customer Retention and Churn mean...
    Perhaps call back and ask to speak to Richard Griot, the owner ???

Well, if all else fails and you have a velcro backing plate that fits on your machine, you can always get pads that size and see how it goes..

Or ----------
    On this Forum, Liz has an open box special that has a good price -- ""Re: Open Box Deals!
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher - Standard

Open Return, No Box. Tested & Confirmed Working.

$112.95 - Free Shipping Lower 48 US States

GR-10813-OB""

Good Luck, I hope this gets resolved..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

That has to be one of the first machines they had? Call them and ask for the number of your are rep. He or she may be more able to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got an answer! So Griot`s emailed me back after sending photos and it is an older DA. It`s bitter sweet; if I send them my machine and $30 bucks they will exchange it for a newer model or send me a gift card to purchase one. They seem to be a great company to deal with, just took a bit of time.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help!

Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, boxermom liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DEwalt !!!
    Great news !!!!
    Let us know sometime how it ends up !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a sweet deal it seems to be sending it back and get a newer polisher!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I`m pleasantly surprised that it`s turning out so well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information