Post Thanks / Like

Recommend me a 2 step polish for DA and rotary

I have a new car....2013 Fuji white Range Rover Evoque. Solid, non-metallic white...swirl marks are readily obvious. Previous owner neglected the car.
    Im a hobbyist detailer...

I run a DeWalt DWP849X rotary and PC 7424 DA.
    Ive only ever used PoorBoys SSR polishes on my own cars, and Im almost out. Didnt like the heavy dust-out and low working time (working outdoors). Lake Country CCS pads for rotary, HDO pads on DA.

Ive used 3M Perfect-It for a customer once (new, wet sanded corrected, custom candy blue metalflake) and liked the results. Good working time, low dust, if a little oily. If I could find small bottles of Perfect-It EX....?
    Also looking at Pinnacle and Menzerna as my go to...
    Curious as to why Pinnacle recommending DA for machine polishing...? Not rotary or both...?

Basically, I want to correct with the rotary, then yearly maintenance polishing with the DA...would like to keep the same product for both purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend me a 2 step polish for DA and rotary

Also looking at Menz 2500 and SF3800...
    I think the Evoque has fairly soft paint...2500 with rotary should cut well enough?

Post Thanks / Like

WuNgUn- If you dislike oily polishes I`d forget about Menzerna as I`d expect anything they make to be much oilier than the 3M PI stuff (of any vintage..I used to use a *LOT* of PI products).

I`d do the cutting with Mequiar`s M101 or Griot`s Fast Correcting Creme and then refine it with something from either 3D/HD or Griot`s.

But I sorta get the feeling you prefer diminishing abrasives and the stuff I like/recommend is NON-diminishing.

Post Thanks / Like

No, Id prefer a wetter polish, as the SSR has been really dusty for me...
    Diminishing for the final polish would be ideal for me as well...like the Menz, to burnish the finish. Soft paint too, so....
    Dont like what ive read about 3D/HD...too much of a one step product, but so is the 2500 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    WuNgUn- If you dislike oily polishes I`d forget about Menzerna as I`d expect anything they make to be much oilier than the 3M PI stuff (of any vintage..I used to use a *LOT* of PI products).

I`d do the cutting with Mequiar`s M101 or Griot`s Fast Correcting Creme and then refine it with something from either 3D/HD or Griot`s.

But I sorta get the feeling you prefer diminishing abrasives and the stuff I like/recommend is NON-diminishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
    No, Id prefer...
    AH, OK! Heh heh, looks like *my* choices would be completely wrong for you At least maybe we narrowed it down a little.

I bet you *will* be happiest with the Menzerna and you might not need to get all that aggressive since you`ll be using the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

AH, OK! Heh heh, looks like *my* choices would be completely wrong for you At least maybe we narrowed it down a little.

I bet you *will* be happiest with the Menzerna and you might not need to get all that aggressive since you`ll be using the rotary.
    About the Menz polishes... Will I need a pre-wax/sealant prep after polishing? Or will I be good to go with a sealant after polish...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
    About the Menz polishes... Will I need a pre-wax/sealant prep after polishing? Or will I be good to go with a sealant after polish...?
    I had issues when there were still oils left on the paint (and that`s a huge part of my dislike of their stuff), so *I* would want to use some kind of Paint Prep product like Eraser or somesuch. But hey, I`m no Menzerna expert

Eh, if you don`t remove the oils, you might find that issues "come back" as the oils dissipate. Those oils can really hide some serious flaws, but only for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like

I had issues when there were still oils left on the paint (and that`s a huge part of my dislike of their stuff), so *I* would want to use some kind of Paint Prep product like Eraser or somesuch. But hey, I`m no Menzerna expert

Eh, if you don`t remove the oils, you might find that issues "come back" as the oils dissipate. Those oils can really hide some serious flaws, but only for a little while.
    Thanks for the reply... Cleaner prep will also unhide anything I thought I worked out then too.... Cool

Post Thanks / Like

Great, hope it works fine, expect it will
    Likes WuNgUn liked this post

Thread Information