Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Dispatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get light scratches out of a denim finish on a new motorcycle?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    81,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Isn`t that one of those surfaces that can`t really be corrected without changing the texture/appearance?

  3. #3
    rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Isn`t that one of those surfaces that can`t really be corrected without changing the texture/appearance?
    Unfortunately I was thinking the same thing. Anything you would normally do to paint would cause shiney spots, which would probably look worse than the scratch. That paint looks very thin also.

  4. #4
    Dispatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    I was afraid of that.

    So the bottom line is, it`ll have to be lived with for the life of the bike...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area (Illinois)
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    I was afraid of that.

    So the bottom line is, it`ll have to be lived with for the life of the bike...
    Would it be possible to airbrush some touch-up paint? Not sure if it would blend properly or color match correctly.
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    81,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Dispatch- That`s why I just *know* I couldn`t be happy with a non-gloss paint Some of today`s matte finishes are just SOOO cool IMO.

  7. #7
    Dispatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Would it be possible to airbrush some touch-up paint? Not sure if it would blend properly or color match correctly.
    I`m not sure and I wouldn`t know anyone competent enough to do such work correctly.

  8. #8
    rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Is there any way you can contact the bikes manufacturer and ask them for help? Seems like they would have thought of something if paintwork got scratched.

  9. #9
    Dispatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Is there any way you can contact the bikes manufacturer and ask them for help? Seems like they would have thought of something if paintwork got scratched.
    The scratches were actually done by the Harley dealership that I bought it from new about two weeks ago, they picked it up and delivered the bike twice so far, I had some factory accessories put on and it seems it was `most likely` done while in the possession of their service department but I can`t be certain.


    So far the only compensation they offered was to take the bike back to the shop to sand and paint the tank (no way).


    Its a brand new bike I bought about two weeks ago and I haven`t even ridden it yet.


    I don`t know if Harley corporate would even get involved, I can only figure they will pass the buck back to the dealership I bought it from.


    If I had to guess, it was done by a buckle worn by one of the employees leaning one the bike while working on it?, as the tank medallion was marred too (attached), they really had to have dug into it hard to gouge and damage the aluminum emblem along with the two scratches.


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    81,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Dispatch- What about having them pay for a shop you trust to reshoot it?

    I guess it boils down to how much it bothers you. I can see both extremes..."no biggie, I`m gonna USE it HARD anyhow.."/"I can`t stand having it like that, I`d rather not own it".

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area (Illinois)
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    They offered to repaint the tank and you don`t want it done? Do you not trust them? Other than replacing the tank with one painted at the factory, I don`t know if there are any other options with a special paint finish.

  12. #12
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plumas Lake, CA !!!!!!
    Posts
    3,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    I am so sorry this had to happen to you...

    Hey, its brand new and they damaged it...
    It is their responsibility to make it perfect again with the original perfect denim paint on the tank.. A repaint of who knows what quality, is not acceptable...
    If they have to go get another tank to accomplish this, too bad for them...

    How are they reacting to your issue with their careless damage ??
    If they are pushing back, etc., I would say, well, just give me my money back and I will go shop elsewhere for the bike.. I am very dissatisfied and this is NOT Acceptable...
    And get the number for Corporate and call them and ask them to help you if needed..

    Everyone needs to be held - accountable - for their actions... I am amazed that they did scratch it, and no one owned up to it when they must have seen it at the Shop... A good Shop would have owned the accident, and called you immediately, apologizing for the accident and asking you if they could keep it longer while they got you a new factory painted tank... Its as simple as that..

    This might not be a good place to take your Harley to in the future anyway, if they are this careless; doesn`t ANYONE look at the Bike after its work is done to give it a final-final inspection???

    I would have no problem walking in there, asking for the OWNER, telling him what happened, and asking him to make it right..

    Dan F
    Likes Dispatch, SWETM liked this post

  13. #13
    Dispatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I am so sorry this had to happen to you...

    Hey, its brand new and they damaged it...
    It is their responsibility to make it perfect again with the original perfect denim paint on the tank.. A repaint of who knows what quality, is not acceptable...
    If they have to go get another tank to accomplish this, too bad for them...

    How are they reacting to your issue with their careless damage ??
    If they are pushing back, etc., I would say, well, just give me my money back and I will go shop elsewhere for the bike.. I am very dissatisfied and this is NOT Acceptable...
    And get the number for Corporate and call them and ask them to help you if needed..

    Everyone needs to be held - accountable - for their actions... I am amazed that they did scratch it, and no one owned up to it when they must have seen it at the Shop... A good Shop would have owned the accident, and called you immediately, apologizing for the accident and asking you if they could keep it longer while they got you a new factory painted tank... Its as simple as that..

    This might not be a good place to take your Harley to in the future anyway, if they are this careless; doesn`t ANYONE look at the Bike after its work is done to give it a final-final inspection???

    I would have no problem walking in there, asking for the OWNER, telling him what happened, and asking him to make it right..

    Dan F
    I appreciate the feedback, its very helpful and encouraging.

    I spoke to the salesman I bought the bike from yesterday, he said he told the head supervisor in the service department yet no one has called to make it right or even apologize and I can not confirm who the delivery guy was on the phone with at the time of the damages were discovered but I can only assume it was a supervisor.

    I told the salesman yesterday to tell the supervisor to have him call me but so far nothing.

    Asking for a new tank makes me nervous being I don`t trust them anymore, I mean how do I know they won`t just try to repair it and pass it off as a new one?

    They lied to me once already when I bought the bike, it had a dead battery that would not hold a charge when it was on the showroom floor before I bought it, the supervisor of the sales department assured me `if I bought it` he would make sure they replaced it with a brand new battery.

    My thing on that is if that was so, there has got to be a work order put in for that, no?

    About a week later when they were coming to pick it up to have more parts put on it, I found it was completely dead in the garage and it would not take a charge.

    They never changed out the battery.

    Either the supervisor lied to me and never put it in for replacement or whom ever it was in service tried to play slick and just put it on a charge hoping it would hold and figured I`d never know, which makes no sense because its under warranty being brand new, they don`t pay for the parts, Harley does.

    Another thing they did carelessly was put a set of running lights on one of the bikes (we bought two), that I never asked for and they had to do a rush job and take it all off at the last minute or they would not have been delivered on that day as they said they would be.

    My only regret is I already submitted the two surveys they asked me to put in asap.

    Tomorrow I plan on calling to ask why no one bothered to call to address this.

    I`m starting to get really pissed off at this point...
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Sorry about your situation!

    I agree on to that you would get a new factory tank instead of a repainted one. Anyways now you know how carefull you are haveing to be in the future.

  15. #15
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plumas Lake, CA !!!!!!
    Posts
    3,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Removing Light Scratches From A Denim Finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    I appreciate the feedback, its very helpful and encouraging.

    I spoke to the salesman I bought the bike from yesterday, he said he told the head supervisor in the service department yet no one has called to make it right or even apologize and I can not confirm who the delivery guy was on the phone with at the time of the damages were discovered but I can only assume it was a supervisor.

    I told the salesman yesterday to tell the supervisor to have him call me but so far nothing.

    Asking for a new tank makes me nervous being I don`t trust them anymore, I mean how do I know they won`t just try to repair it and pass it off as a new one?

    They lied to me once already when I bought the bike, it had a dead battery that would not hold a charge when it was on the showroom floor before I bought it, the supervisor of the sales department assured me `if I bought it` he would make sure they replaced it with a brand new battery.

    My thing on that is if that was so, there has got to be a work order put in for that, no?

    About a week later when they were coming to pick it up to have more parts put on it, I found it was completely dead in the garage and it would not take a charge.

    They never changed out the battery.

    Either the supervisor lied to me and never put it in for replacement or whom ever it was in service tried to play slick and just put it on a charge hoping it would hold and figured I`d never know, which makes no sense because its under warranty being brand new, they don`t pay for the parts, Harley does.

    Another thing they did carelessly was put a set of running lights on one of the bikes (we bought two), that I never asked for and they had to do a rush job and take it all off at the last minute or they would not have been delivered on that day as they said they would be.

    My only regret is I already submitted the two surveys they asked me to put in asap.

    Tomorrow I plan on calling to ask why no one bothered to call to address this.

    I`m starting to get really pissed off at this point...
    Dispatch ---
    2 bikes !!!
    Then they either Snap Out of It or you get your money back for both...
    The short "Work History" they have with you is a disaster...
    I don`t blame you for wanting to move away from them for good..

    Do they report to Harley Davidson Headquarters in Milwaukee ???
    If so, I would be calling the President of Harley Davidson and expressing my dissatisfaction with this dealership and asking him to make it right ...

    You really need to have a face to face with the Owner and tell him you want this nightmare gone, or that you want your money back because his dealership has done everything in an unacceptable manner, you have no faith in them for any future work, and you want no further contact with them...

    Then you call the Better Business Bureau and lodge a complaint, and see about doing another submitting new surveys with new scores after this total fiasco...

    If it gets rough, consider hiring an experienced in this type of law Attorney to put more pressure on them, if they are just plain dumbos over there...

    Yeah, I would never put up with all that malarkey either...
    Good luck with this --
    Dan F
    Likes Dispatch liked this post

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. removing swirls and light scratches by hand
    By ironexecutioner in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 07:20 AM
  2. removing light scratches on newly polished paint
    By Phideaux in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
  3. Removing Light Scratches from Glass
    By Randyk1 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 09:45 PM
  4. Removing light scratches.
    By joebags in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 08:17 AM
  5. Removing swirls and light surface scratches....
    By Rcs476 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2002, 03:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •