Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this too harsh?

Hello everyone,
    i received a Porter Cable from a very nice member on this site. I ordered an orange pad and green one. (5.5"). I have a red Miata that is water spotted and probably permanently etched. I just want to get the paint any percentage better. Tonight I used the orange (Lake County) and Meguiars rubbing compound that says it`s safe for clear coat. I`m pretty sure my paint is a one Stage paint. When I polished, there was no red residue on the pad so that`s good. Is this too harsh to use?
    Thanks so much!
    ​Fight like a Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this too harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Winds View Post
    Hello everyone,
    i received a Porter Cable from a very nice member on this site. I ordered an orange pad and green one. (5.5"). I have a red Miata that is water spotted and probably permanently etched. I just want to get the paint any percentage better. Tonight I used the orange (Lake County) and Meguiars rubbing compound that says it`s safe for clear coat. I`m pretty sure my paint is a one Stage paint. When I polished, there was no red residue on the pad so that`s good. Is this too harsh to use?
    Thanks so much!
    If you didn`t see any "color" transfer to your pad it is probably a 2 stage paint. The clear doesn`t show transfer to your pad where a single stage red would. When you say rubbing compound which product are you specifically referring to? Most would not start buffing with a traditional rubbing compound though this term is thrown around a lot describing many different polishes. Compounds (old school) are typically reserved for paint in the bad shape. Remember the old saying don`t use a cannon to kill a mosquito. Start by using light or medium grade polishes and see first if these will accomplish the task you wish. If not you can adjust to a polish with more bite or a firmer pad. The orange pad is considered a light cutting pad and may be just the ticket but with an aggressive compound will remove more of your finish than is necessary to correct many problems. Remember there is only so much clear coat on there. If you aren`t seeing color and then begin seeing color you have gone to far. I obviously have no idea what you are using but my gut is telling me you might be using a heavy cut polish.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh....I see....okay, thanks. I have a lighter grade polish, I think it`s Meguiars Ultimate compound. I`ll stick with the orange pad. The paint is shiny but scratched up a bit and water spotted. I always thought Mazda used a one Stage paint for its red, black white and a certain blue....but, I`m assuming! I`ll lighten things up tomorrow and try again. Thank so much!
    ​Fight like a Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Most cars since 1992 ish have used Base/Clear except for their Whites but I think the majority of whites now are also clear coated.

That being said, Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound is a pretty heavy compound. There is a scale on the forums somewhere but I cant find it right now.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ocean Winds, if you could post a few pics of the damage your trying to fix, you will get great advice from some very good people on this forum.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you have it / can get it, try Megs Ultimate Polish on the softer pad first, then go up from there. If you end up having to do a compounding step with the orange pad, you will likely have to follow up with a light polishing step to get rid of compounding haze. (throwing that in so if/when it happens, you aren`t surprised by it.)

As others have mentioned, the idea is to start less abrasive and work your way up. This will help prevent too much clearcoat being removed to achieve the results you want.

Also remember, some scratches and defects are just too deep to completely remove without a repaint. Don`t stress if you can`t get them all.
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several times, both on my IPad and laptop, to upload photos and I just can`t. It`s etched water spots over years, and I know I won`t be able to get all of those out. I also have Meguiars Wax/polish. I tried that, but little effect. MCKee`s recommended their 360. I was trying to use what I have because money is extremely limited right now. Maybe I should just use the polish wax and go for shine than repair. ☹️
    ​Fight like a Girl!
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    As others have mentioned, the idea is to start less abrasive and work your way up. This will help prevent too much clearcoat being removed to achieve the results you want.

Also remember, some scratches and defects are just too deep to completely remove without a repaint. Don`t stress if you can`t get them all.
    Well let`s start with expectations ... a PC will only do so much correction and repair no matter what pad and product combo you put together, especially when first using

OK OK Yes, " some" people can actually get extreme results with a PC

Next .. water marks don`t come out with compounds, scratches come out with compounds and then you use a polish to clear and brighten.

Water spots are chemical reactions to the finish and you need to use a chemical polish to repair not wear away your clear coat.

and as stated by Nick some scratches , watermarks and defect are not going to come out, especially with a PC
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes nickclark08, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several times, both on my IPad and laptop, to upload photos and I just can`t. It`s etched water spots over years, and I know I won`t be able to get all of those out. I also have Meguiars Wax/polish. I tried that, but little effect. MCKee`s recommended their 360. I was trying to use what I have because money is extremely limited right now. Maybe I should just use the polish wax and go for shine than repair. ☹️
    We all understand working within a budget. Can you list what you have on hand and maybe we can come up with some combos you may not have considered. Sometimes you can get great results thinking outside the box by pairing up more aggressive pads with lighter polishes and vice versa. You won`t know until you try.
    http://www.flawlessreflectionsautodetailing.com/
    Likes Ocean Winds, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are so awesome.
    I have Meguiars Mirror Bright Polishing Wax, Meguiars Clear coat safe rubbing compound, Meguiars Ultimate Compound.
    Then I have 2 paint sealants, Wolfgangs and Klasse and Mothers Carnuba wax as toppers.
    ​Fight like a Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are so awesome.
    I have Meguiars Mirror Bright Polishing Wax, Meguiars Clear coat safe rubbing compound, Meguiars Ultimate Compound.
    Then I have 2 paint sealants, Wolfgangs and Klasse and Mothers Carnuba wax as toppers.
    What pads? (and size) and what machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Oops.....5.5" pads, Lane County orange, green and a purple `wool` one. I think the Porter Cable is an entry level model (just got it from a member) with an upgraded backing plate. It`s variable speed.
    ​Fight like a Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Ocean Winds- A belated Welcome to Autopia, and best wishes regarding your health challenges.

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

With the 5.5" plate/pads the PC is close to the limit regarding what it can use effectively. That means that too much pressure will bog it down and it will only jiggle (the pad doesn`t spin). SO...you have to press more lightly than one might like and that means it`ll take longer.

With no pigment transfer to the pad using the compound, you have basecoat/clearcoat paint.

Meguiar`s makes a lot of different compounds, and all are said to be clearcoat safe (that doesn`t really mean much of anything these days, it`s just product-fluffing talk). Some break down during use, and others remain abrasive and/but just dry out during use. Each type calls for its own technique (primarily related to how long you can/should work them).

After the compound, you should use a milder product (e.g., Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish) to refine the finish.

Don`t overwork the product(s). Those should be buffed off before they`re dried out.

I usually use speed 5 or 6 on that machine.

Note that as compounds and polishes are used, the pad will load up with cut-off paint and dried up (or broken-down) product. It`s very important to clean that out of the pad. If you only have a few pads, you might want to work in sections as cleaning/drying a pad takes a while.

Which Klasse product do you have? Their All In One ("AIO") or their Sealant Glaze ("SG")?
    Likes Ocean Winds liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sealant Glaze, which I have found is a bit difficult to remove.
    ​Fight like a Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Ocean Winds- Ah, OK...the trick to using that stuff is to apply it *VERY* thin, like so thin you can barely see it on the surface. For the Miata, it`ll take *FAR* less than an ounce to do the whole car (I never used an ounce to do a Suburban).

I`ve never used the KSG without first using the KAIO. Better make sure the paint is perfectly clean (as in, stripped of any oils/etc. from the polishing) first. Or just use one of your other products, but that KSG *is* good stuff, at least if you apply a few coats so it lasts a long time.

Anyhow, I`d pick up something like Meg`s Ultimate Polish to use after the compound, and get a panel or two corrected to your satisfaction. THEN apply whatever LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or the KSG).
    Likes Ocean Winds liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information