Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Edge pads

Well I got the DA Edge kit from AG a couple of weeks ago. On the second use of the blue pad, it seemed the plastic had come loose and the pad was doing it`s own orbiting on the plastic. Finally it got so loose it tore the pad and partly came off. I order another one. Now on the first use the pad has come loose from the plastic again. I can`t take it above 4 on the PC or dare spin it while it`s not fully on the paint because it starts to whip the pad around and acts like it`s going to rip off like the other one. Is anyone else having this problem?

I also managed to touch the paint with the adapter tonight. Something I had heard was impossible. Granted it was on a curve, it`s something hook and loop pads wouldn`t have done. Thankfully it was on a beater so I didn`t care, but had it happened on a customers cars, I would be extremely pissed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with Edge pads

Sorry you had a bad experience. How much pressure was being applied? How did the adapter hit on a curve? Edge has great CS I`m sure they will do thier best to help. How long have you been a Edge user?
    2005 Altima 2.5S :boxing:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420
    Sorry you had a bad experience. How much pressure was being applied? How did the adapter hit on a curve? Edge has great CS I`m sure they will do thier best to help. How long have you been a Edge user?
    Not an outrageous amount of pressure being it`s a polishing pad (called finishing) and I wasn`t trying to get to much correcting out of it. It`s like the glue has come loose.

It touched on 1991 S10. While polishing the top of the front fender, where it meets the hood at the front of the truck. It also happened at the back corner by the taillight. I was using the least amount of pressure as I thought there might be a problem there, but any less and that pad would have torn off like my other one.

I`ve used the Edge pads on 8 vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. all I can say was that I ordered pads from Autogeek and recieved ones that were discontinued. (old durafoam blue..Old glue) ad this was less about a month ago. I knew better and called them about it. these pads are NO WEAR near as soft as the new foam. No with the adapter hitting I can commment on your process or what you did.. but I know that it`s dam near inpossable to have that adapter it.. I have tried it I couldn`t get it to hit. even on panels like you said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick
    Well.. all I can say was that I ordered pads from Autogeek and recieved ones that were discontinued. (old durafoam blue..Old glue) ad this was less about a month ago. I knew better and called them about it. these pads are NO WEAR near as soft as the new foam. No with the adapter hitting I can commment on your process or what you did.. but I know that it`s dam near inpossable to have that adapter it.. I have tried it I couldn`t get it to hit. even on panels like you said.
    Well I got the kit from AutoGeek, but the second pad I got from DetailCity.com. It does sound like it had bad glue though. The plastic itself is very strong, but the glue seems to have just come off.

I had previously tried to hit the adapter on the paint as well with no luck, but I definitely hit more then once. I have scratches on the paint as well.

I`ll try to get some pictures this afternoon of the pad and where the adapter hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I just got some pictures. Here is the first pad where the glue came loose and the plastic eventually tore right through the pad. I pushed it back into the pad, but you can see where it came through. I know the pad is dirty, it was not like that when I was using it on the car. It`s just been kicked around the garage the last 2 weeks.

other side

Here is the second pad. You can clearly see the glue has come loose on this one as well and the plastic is no longer centered.

Here you can see where this pad has started to tear from the plastic, poking it from the inside. Also the weird circle that looks like a tear, but isn`t. I guess this is where the glue is applied in the inside.

Here is the corner where the adapter touched the paint. These are before shots and like I said it`s a beater.

This really sucks because I`m not sure if I should stay with the Edge pads and keep buying more, or just ditch it all together. Although it`s nice to have two pads within one, if one tears, you`ve really just lost two pads.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

That should be warranty replacement, I think. I love the Edge system, but the rotary is easier on the pads.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

How many times had these pads been used? Were the pads loaded with product? How were they cleaned? I`ve been using these for several months and haven`t seen anything like what is pictured. I love this system but this obviously isn`t a good thing.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Of course we are always concerned to hear about bad experiences but this is very very rare. The pads are totally under warrenty and I will replace them as well as thoroughly inspect the pads for the cause and reason for the premature delamination. As for the adapter hitting the paint, I would like to speak with you in person on the phone on Monday if you have time. I don`t think you hit the adapter so much as hit the plastic plate which actually does not cause severe damage. The adapter is below the surface of the plastic and cannot push out. Unless you drag it over a windshield washer port nub on the hood and push down you just can`t hit it. Lets talk on Monday. Please call me toll free at 1-800-315-3343.

Aaron

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Next, the President of WalMart will explain why you can never get help finding something.

Some companies are worth shopping at.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    How many times had these pads been used? Were the pads loaded with product? How were they cleaned? I`ve been using these for several months and haven`t seen anything like what is pictured. I love this system but this obviously isn`t a good thing.
    First blue pad tore up at the end of the second car. Second pad came loose not even half way through the first vehicle. I wouldn`t say they were loaded with product, but what is recommended. They were only used with Pro Polish and SSR1. The pads were cleaned with the XMT cleaner that came with the kit and water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    Of course we are always concerned to hear about bad experiences but this is very very rare. The pads are totally under warrenty and I will replace them as well as thoroughly inspect the pads for the cause and reason for the premature delamination. As for the adapter hitting the paint, I would like to speak with you in person on the phone on Monday if you have time. I don`t think you hit the adapter so much as hit the plastic plate which actually does not cause severe damage. The adapter is below the surface of the plastic and cannot push out. Unless you drag it over a windshield washer port nub on the hood and push down you just can`t hit it. Lets talk on Monday. Please call me toll free at 1-800-315-3343.

Aaron

You may be right, it could indeed be the plastic. I didn`t hold it there too long, but there really wasn`t as much damage as I expected for the noise it made.

I don`t want to spread any misinformation, so I`ll retract my comment about the adapter itself hitting the paint until I can confirm what part touched.

I`m extremely busy this week Aaron, but I`ll try my best to call you Monday or Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I would surely assume your PC has the counterweight in it? Dunno if that would make a difference, but I figured I would mention it.

Post Thanks / Like

if it`s the old propolish that stuff makes the pad grip tighter the GI Joes Kung-Fu grip.. I`ve know i`ve done that with the old stuff tore up an old pad with the old glue in one car...

Post Thanks / Like

that is an interesting thought, Could someone send me that polish to test with as we don`t have that and don`t know the grip it produces. However the pad should withstand that and we will find out why it did not and how to prevent it again. Its not a wide spread problem so it should be easy to identify what is different in this pad or situation and resolve it quickly. In the meantime we will of course replace the pad so the customer will not loose out on the pad. I also looked closer at the pics and can see that the plastic was what caused the sound and contact with the car not the adapter. In one of your pics you can clearly see the plastic off center and exposed though the hex hole in the foam. With no foam covering or protecting the plate the plastic would be the only thing to hit. The adapeter would still be housed within and below the plastic and could not hit the paint. The plastic is also specially designed to break down with any friction and only leave a scuff which can ususally be wiped off if not buffed off easily. So don`t have fear about the adapter hitting the paint. We will get to the bottom of the problem and resolve it so you can stay with the system with confidence! I look forward to your phone call.

Aaron

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information