Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microscopic paint analysis

The conflation of pickup and truck got me wondering, so a bit of research was needed.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

pickup (n.)also pick-up, "that which is picked up," 1848; see pick up (v.). As "act of picking up" from 1882. Meaning "capacity for acceleration" is from 1909; that of "recovery" is from 1916. In reference to a game between informal teams chosen on the spot, from 1905 (as an adjective in this sense by 1936).

Meaning "small truck used for light loads," 1937, is shortened from pickup truck (pickup body is attested from 1928). The notion probably being of a vehicle for use to "pick up" (feed, lumber, etc.) and deliver it where it was needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post

jokes aside I`m always amused by the average amuricans definition of `truck`.

per Websters dictionary

Definition of truck

• 1: a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: such as
      a : a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (such as a pickup) for hauling
      b : an automotive vehicle with a short chassis equipped with a swivel for attaching a trailer and used especially for the highway hauling of freight; also: a truck with attached trailer
      c : a small barrow consisting of a rectangular frame having at one end a pair of handles and at the other end a pair of small heavy wheels and a projecting edge to slide under a load —called also hand truck
      d : a small heavy rectangular frame supported on four wheels for moving heavy objects
      e : a small flat-topped car pushed or pulled by hand
      f : a shelved stand mounted on casters

Since the passport is body on frame with a class IV hitch, can haul my wife and other heavy objects, it qualifies.
    By these conditions I`ve seen many Cadillacs, Impala`s and LTD`s that could be labeled a truck but most wouldn`t put them in that class. Cause Webster said it, don`t make it so. Definitions change by region, class of persons and as time goes by. At the end of the day you can call a Ute a Truck or anything else for that matter and know that you are not alone.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    By these conditions I`ve seen many Cadillacs, Impala`s and LTD`s that could be labeled a truck but most wouldn`t put them in that class. Cause Webster said it, don`t make it so. Definitions change by region, class of persons and as time goes by. At the end of the day you can call a Ute a Truck or anything else for that matter and know that you are not alone.
    I think you missed the joke.

Word play jokes don`t really work online.

I understand that most when using the word `truck` are referring to a pickup. Where I grew up in southern Louisiana if you said to someone "go get the truck" you`d get a hand truck.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you missed the joke.

Word play jokes don`t really work online.
    No, I caught it and smiled when I read about wheel barrows and hand trucks. I wasn`t trying to start something and hoped the Emoji`s gave that indication. If I had intended to start something, I`d have said you were calling your Rodeo a Passport. My first post was my apparently poor attempt at a joke.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    No, I caught it and smiled when I read about wheel barrows and hand trucks. I wasn`t trying to start something and hoped the Emoji`s gave that indication. If I had intended to start something, I`d have said you were calling your Rodeo a Passport. My first post was my apparently poor attempt at a joke.
    All is good

linguistic evolution just happens to fascinate me. I`m quite interested in the linguistic shift of polishing compounds. When I was young, we had coarse, medium, fine and very fine compounds. Around here it seems this has been simplified. Compound means course and polish means fine. I think some clarity has been lost in this simplification.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics! I have a cheap 40x-100x microscope than can be placed on my iPhone, but it`s not near as good as those pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Since the passport is body on frame with a class IV hitch, can haul my wife and other heavy objects, it qualifies.
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    ..You nailed the picture I have in my head of Accumulator when he`s detailing. (all in good fun, Mr. A)
    Heh heh, well...maybe not all that far from the truth! I do indeed wear (lighted) magnifying goggles for all sorts of stuff, but would probably be much happier with the ones in your pic given my, uhm... personal optics/diffs between my two eyes.

Heh heh#2, I shudder recalling how (sections of) the Tahoe and (all of) the `93 Audi look under magnification!

I`m always surprised by how powerful so many people like their magnification to be. I`m *FAR* happier with a lower-X, never use the 30X one I got from ValuGard, let alone anything higher.
    Likes Boden, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

can haul my wife and other heavy objects

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information