Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Question The Best Clay?

Who makes the best quality clay and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Best Clay?

That`s like asking what is the best wax. You will get dozens of answers.

You need to be a little more specific about best quality. Do you want to know most agressive, least agressive, longest lasting (clay towels).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve found recently that it depends on if I feel like using a machine or not. I have both the blackfire fine grade clay bar and the nanoskin auto scrub pads and both work very well. My suggestion is one you`ll see here often, find something you like and that works well for you, and use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Best clay for *WHAT*?

I almost always use Sonus SFX, which is so gentle that, *USED PROPERLY* it merely clays my LSP clean. It`s too gentle for any serious decontamination though.

Next up the scale, I use the Ricardo/Smart clay (the kinda-different stuff that`s more...I dunno...elastic), which isn`t all *that* hard on LSPs but is a lot more aggressive than the Sonus SFX.

Then there`re the (very similar IME) Griot`s/Mothers, which will probably mess with LSPs for most people.

AND..I`ve somehow never tried the Standard Best Answer, namely Clay Magic Blue. That`s what most people seem to think is the best "regular clay".

Lots of others that I don`t know from.

Oh, and unlike some people I find that using the right Clay Lube makes a huge difference for me. I almost always use Sonus Glyde, which is pretty "soapy" and needs rinsing afterwards. Others use other stuff, but the other lubes/lube substitutes that I`ve tried didn`t work nearly as well *for me*.

And of course !YMMV! really applies when it comes to claying...perhaps moreso than usual.

And FWIW, IMO most people go about claying all wrong and end up marring their paint as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Best clay for *WHAT*?

I almost always use Sonus SFX, which is so gentle that, *USED PROPERLY* it merely clays my LSP clean. It`s too gentle for any serious decontamination though.

Next up the scale, I use the Ricardo/Smart clay (the kinda-different stuff that`s more...I dunno...elastic), which isn`t all *that* hard on LSPs but is a lot more aggressive than the Sonus SFX.

Then there`re the (very similar IME) Griot`s/Mothers, which will probably mess with LSPs for most people.

AND..I`ve somehow never tried the Standard Best Answer, namely Clay Magic Blue. That`s what most people seem to think is the best "regular clay".

Lots of others that I don`t know from.

Oh, and unlike some people I find that using the right Clay Lube makes a huge difference for me. I almost always use Sonus Glyde, which is pretty "soapy" and needs rinsing afterwards. Others use other stuff, but the other lubes/lube substitutes that I`ve tried didn`t work nearly as well *for me*.

And of course !YMMV! really applies when it comes to claying...perhaps moreso than usual.

And FWIW, IMO most people go about claying all wrong and end up marring their paint as a result.
    Agreed! Like most things in life the correct lube is key. Quite possibly more important than the clay itself.

IMO a higher viscosity lube and lots of it is necessary to keep the clay hydroplaning over the surface and for gunk clearing.

(I`ve been testing)

Post Thanks / Like

For average claying, light claying, ones that don`t need a polish afterwards.

I was told that the best bars of clay are no longer available in the US that Canada gets the better bars of clay.

I`m just wondering out of all the brands that make clay/claying kits, who`s is top quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Magic is good and you may be able to find it locally, but it is more difficult to find than it used to be. I really like the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads when used with their Glide lube. It is much quicker than traditional clay and you can rinse it off if you drop it. Drop a traditional clay bar and you have to throw it out. Megs professional clay bar (less aggressive blue version) is pretty good too.

GTO_04
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392 Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue/blue interior

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Poorboys clay and I can confirm that it is, in fact, clay. It did great and it got rid of all the contaminants in my `12 Chrysler black (not metallic) paint. I do have some OG CG clay as well but I`m waiting to use that until I finish off the Poorboys. They both look the same and I`m sure the results will be incredibly similar. There`s only so many ways to make clay imo!

Post Thanks / Like

I started off using Griot`s clay as well as DP clay.

Then I switched to Nanoskin and Speedy Prep and prefer the latter clay alternatives. It`s not that I dislike clay; I think the alternatives work faster.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: The Best Clay?

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post
    Clay Magic is good and you may be able to find it locally, but it is more difficult to find than it used to be. I really like the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads when used with their Glide lube. It is much quicker than traditional clay and you can rinse it off if you drop it. Drop a traditional clay bar and you have to throw it out. Megs professional clay bar (less aggressive blue version) is pretty good too.

GTO_04
    You mean this stuff?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fibreglas...&wl13=&veh=sem

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a clay alternative guy, but I will say I disliked the Pinnacle fine grade clay. It was way too fine to actually remove anything. At least that was my take on it. I`ve used Clay Magic and Meguires clay both did the job with no marring. I use lots of lube. I bought several bottles of Prima Amigo Clay Lube when it was being discontinued by AG and it works very well. When I finish with that one I have some CarPro Lube to try out. Folks that use soap or a rinseless wash scare me, I want as much lubrication as I can get.
    Likes Audios S6 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For general light clay situations I almost always reach for sonus grey/green stuff first. Ultra fine it is the safest IMO.

Next I reach for the ClayMagic Blue. IMO one of the best all around clay bars available. I have also used the mothers gold bar which is good but not my favorite in this category.

For me the step up is the Blackfire Clay. It is as aggressive as you can get before going full on marring for sure. I can use it and have almost zero marring.

For aggressive stuff I like clay magic red. It is just a beast.

I have the clay alternative sponges as well. While it like them I feel like they are more aggressive than their clay counterparts and I almost never feel like they get the paint quite a clean.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, regulars here probably know this already...the "Sonus SFX" and "Sonus green" are both ultra-gentle stuff that`s only good for very light work.

The Sonus gray has had QC issues; I`ve had batches that were nice Medium clay and others that`re as aggressive as some Overspray clay and will mar anything with the lightest contact.

As long as somebody`s using a clay that`s, say...not more aggressive than the ClayMagic Blue, then the marring potential is a matter of technique (stupid-soft paint notwithstanding).

IMO most guys don`t use enough lube and don`t knead/replace the clay often enough. I firmly believe that once clay picks up a speck of abrasive contamination that clay has become sandpaper even with lots of lube.

Plus, I suspect that people use clay/decon. towels for things *other than* above-surface contamination. Clay doesn`t really "pull contamination out of the paint", at least not much, but rather shears off whatever contamination it bumps into. When the contamination is down in the pores/microfissures/grain of the paint you need *chemical* decontamination, not the mechanical kind that clay provides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    I`m no authority on Clay Magic`s offerings as I`ve never used them, but I`m confident that the one you linked is OK. Their lube isn`t bad and I`m using mine up with my Ricardo/smart clay.

Quote Originally Posted by lxjeremy
    There`s only so many ways to make clay imo!
    Basically two different way that I`m aware of, but there are also a whole [boatload] of variables that determine how pliable/aggressive/etc. the clay is. I`ve had utterly identical-looking clays that behaved completely differently, and others that were in fact the same stuff as far as I could tell...at least for that batch. Reminds me of how I found Mother`s and Griot`s clays to be absolutely identical in every respect...and then somebody here compared them and found them very different!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000
    Folks that use soap or a rinseless wash scare me, I want as much lubrication as I can get.
    Agree, and there seems to be a sweet-spot related to viscosity too. I bought into the "just use [something else] koolaid on a theoretical basis, but it just never worked out well for me and to my surprise I ended up becoming a Clay Lube Snob based on my first-hand experience.

Oh, and [INSERT usual caveat about how Griot`s SpeedShine, which I think is a perfectly OK QD, is one of my least favorite Clay Lubes, utterly hate it for that]

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used a couple clay lubes, and typically use ONR at clay lube dilution. I`ve used one soapy one, dodo juice, and didn`t care for the cleanup. But if the soapy ones work better I`m not adverse to it, i just haven`t used that many different ones.
    For clay, I`ve used a few. I do use the pinnacle poly clay and it`s really fine grade, haven`t experienced marring. On my car I`ve never had a clay bar come out looking really dirty, but I generally use an iron remover first and clawing is much easier after that.
    I used Bilt Hamber soft clay last week after chemical Decon on my new car and it worked well and was easy to use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information