Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compounds with Diminishing Abrasives...

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I wonder how 101 would compare to d300? D300 is made for cutting with a microfiber pad and is a favorite. I`ve never used 101. I`ve been sticking with Rupes blue, FG400, or D300. I have a small bottle of HD Cut, but I`ve never got around to trying it out. Too many compounds, not enough beat up cars.
    Been messing around this winter with some fleet vans, from good condition to really beat. Have been using a lot of M101 on foam and D300 on microfiber (never thought of M101 on microfiber). All things NOT being equal Flex/M101/foam heavy cutting pad was 4 passes to clean up what took Rupes 15/D300/micro cutting discs 6 passes...assuming same general arm speed. That said, The Rupees was much less taxing so it probably evened out over the course of the entire (large) van.

Probably not that skilled yet with Rupes and Flex is more grab and go so a real Pro could likely move faster (and feel better) with the Rupes/D300.

Finish was pretty darn good with both...not much of a real difference.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion d300 and m101 are not very close in terms of cut although they leave a very similar finish. D300 cuts very well with a microfiber cutting pad because of it`s longer buffing cycle and minimal dusting, but on a foam cutting pad I feel like D300 is a very light compound or extremely heavy polish.

On my personal compound aggressiveness scale (when paired with foam cutting pad) from 1-10 both HD cut+ and D300 are a 7; Scholl`s S20 Black, Blackfire SRC Compound and Wolfgang Uber Compound are a 7.5; FG 400 and 3D 501 cutting compound are an 8; M100 and Scholl Concepts S3 Gold are a 9; and Menzerna SHC300 & M101 are 10. Menzerna SHC 300 does cut more than m101 but it`s the only compound in my arsenal that is impossible to use as a 1-step compound (I understand that none of us would do a 1-step with anything other than a finishing polish on our personal vehicles, but as a business owner I have 1-stepped all of these other than SHC300.

I wonder how 101 would compare to d300? D300 is made for cutting with a microfiber pad and is a favorite. I`ve never used 101. I`ve been sticking with Rupes blue, FG400, or D300. I have a small bottle of HD Cut, but I`ve never got around to trying it out. Too many compounds, not enough beat up cars.
    Likes trashmanssd, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HD cut is very pleasant to use, but doesn`t offer enough cut to be a true compound imo. For silver cars and such, it`s great with a mf pad as a 1 step. Finishes well enough and will knock out a fair amount of swirling. Probably not ideal on black or for a show finish, but for the average person will be lsp ready.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    HD cut is very pleasant to use, but doesn`t offer enough cut to be a true compound imo..
    Yeah, I too consider it a pretty aggressive Polish rather than a Compound, but the categories get blurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Been messing around this winter with some fleet vans, from good condition to really beat. Have been using a lot of M101 on foam and D300 on microfiber (never thought of M101 on microfiber). All things NOT being equal Flex/M101/foam heavy cutting pad was 4 passes to clean up what took Rupes 15/D300/micro cutting discs 6 passes...assuming same general arm speed. That said, The Rupees was much less taxing so it probably evened out over the course of the entire (large) van.

Probably not that skilled yet with Rupes and Flex is more grab and go so a real Pro could likely move faster (and feel better) with the Rupes/D300.

Finish was pretty darn good with both...not much of a real difference.
    I have had good luck on light colored metallics with 2 drops of D300 + 1 drop of M105 on a Meg`s MF pad. Knocked the swirls on my son`s Civic, when no foam pad/polish combo would. This was several years ago, before the latest polishes were out.

Currently Scholl`s S3 on a Spider foam pad or an MF pad is my go-to polish. I can usually get it to finish down without an additional step.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT thread! I use both types of abrasives.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    My favorite DAT compound is FG400. I hate the smell, but it leaves a great finish and is just consistent. I have heard BOSS Fast Correction Cream works very similar to FG400 but I haven`t had time to try it yet. I also like Sonax Cutmax and Rupes Zephyr Coarse.
    What pads are you using? m/f? Which of the 4 do you like/prefer? I have not used Cutmax or the FCC. I like the WG uber over the Zephyr, seems like a tad bit more cut w/ the Boss m/f pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    What pads are you using? m/f? Which of the 4 do you like/prefer? I have not used Cutmax or the FCC. I like the WG uber over the Zephyr, seems like a tad bit more cut w/ the Boss m/f pads.
    Strictly depends on the paint I am working with. I haven`t used Cutmax in some time. With Zephyr I only use on Rupes pads. FG400 I use on LC HD pads or Meg`s MF if I need it. They are the only foam pads that tend to stand up to the solvents in FG400. I am using a lot of Angelwax Resurrection on B&S Uro pads currently. Cuts more, leaves a great finish, and wipes away easier.

Angelwax Resurrection and B&S Uro Maroon.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information