Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compounds with Diminishing Abrasives...

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I utterly *LOVE* M101, but it`s not a Diminishing Abrasive product (which, FWIW, is one of the things I like about it as IMO I can better control the work-time).

We are always on the same page about M101 (and FK1000P).

I second M101, but if I am feeling like I want to compound but with less cut, I`ll prime my pad with M205, two peas of M205, and two peas of M101 (or even less cut, UC). [Heavy polish would be this fluid combo and a less aggressive pad]

OP, here`s my $.02, and I have only been machine polishing for a couple of years now, but I can tackle anything that is thrown my way and within reason of clear coat preservation without using a depth gauge. Find a product manufacturer and stick with it, I started out with Meg`s UP/UC, and have grown my products since then. I currently have (fluid side):

Meg`s: M101, M105, M205, UC, UP, #9, #3, and #1 (barely ever need to use it)
    PB`s: PWS, Black Hole, and Pro Polish
    Carpro: Essence and Essence+

I started out detailing with Meguiar`s products and have since then, continued to explore their product range and find that they work for *me*. Sure, sometimes the products may become a little finicky, but mastering detailing means mastering your products. M105 drying up a little too quickly? Spritz of water four inches away from pad, get too much moisture and loose a bit of residue control? Alright, next time I`ll do a spritz about six inches away from the pad, much better. *Disclaimer* I have yet to really fall in love with M105, but my gosh, it CUTS.

Find a brand or product you like and begin to explore its usability, as in experiment with different grade pads.
    Likes Addicted2Bling, Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I started out detailing with Meguiar`s products and have since then, continued to explore their product range and find that they work for *me*. Sure, sometimes the products may become a little finicky, but mastering detailing means mastering your products. M105 drying up a little too quickly? Spritz of water four inches away from pad, get too much moisture and loose a bit of residue control? Alright, next time I`ll do a spritz about six inches away from the pad, much better. *Disclaimer* I have yet to really fall in love with M105, but my gosh, it CUTS.

Find a brand or product you like and begin to explore its usability, as in experiment with different grade pads.
    I`ve been using M105 for over 5 years now, and I feel like I`m going to get as good as I`ll ever be with it. It`s really easy to use and you can go fast with it, but I am looking for something better. I think i`m going to give M101 a shot, since I know so much about 105. Or maybe try Merenza 400 in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Addicted2Bling- I too consider myself well dialed-in with M105, which always just clicked for me, right off the bat. But !Oh, man! do I like M101 better.

TheMeanGreen- These days my "compound with less cut" is HD Cut, though I`ll probably tried the 3D version or a Griots product if I ever use that up (which sure won`t be any time soon). I never got as much cut as I`d like with M105 though, even when I tweaked it by adding water. It was a great upgrade from what was available before, but still left me wanting more for those rare occasions that I`m actually removing significant marring.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Heh heh, sounds like you and I are almost *exactly* the opposite on our preferences! This is a good time to be on either side of this particular fence, what with all the great stuff on the market these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Does [M101] dry up quick like M105? I think i might go this route
    Not as fast, but that`s based on my *VERY* limited experience with it. I`m no real authority as I`ve only used it for spot-correction so far. Gee, I haven`t corrected a whole panel, let alone a whole vehicle, for ages....since before M101 came out.
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I agree JROCK, but aren`t some Menz products DAT and some SMAT?
    In Todd Helme`s write up of FG400 vs M105, it looked as if FG featured clumps of SMAT abrasives, that "diminished" into true SMAT. I believe the term is agglomorated abrasives.

I also believe that Rupes Zephir is oriented similarly, as per an AGO forum member`s posting.

Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound vs. Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound
    Likes jrock645, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    In Todd Helme`s write up of FG400 vs M105, it looked as if FG featured clumps of SMAT abrasives, that "diminished" into true SMAT. I believe the term is agglomorated abrasives.

I also believe that Rupes Zephir is oriented similarly, as per an AGO forum member`s posting.

Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound vs. Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound
    It has to contain smat since Todd Helme used water to improve its working time, just like KBM on Megs smat abrasives.
    Rupes 21 MK3 | Rupes 15 MK3 | Rupes Duetto | Rupes Mini | Rupes Nano iBrid | Rupes LH19E

Post Thanks / Like

Like to see how WG`s uber stacks up

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think M105 was designed to work inside a shop with the a/c running. Because unless you use water, it will dry up and stick to a car like a magnet. And whatever is underneath it will not get any correcting because it has a layer of protective compound covering it.

This and the fact that it doesn`t have the nicest finish has me looking elsewhere
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I must be some kind of outlier on M105 as it never stuck to the paint or otherwise caused me issues. But then I only work it for a *VERY* short time and always buff it off while it`s still wet.

My only issues with it (and "issues" is way too strong) were wanting more cut and the micromarring from never breaking down. That last bit isn`t really a problem IMO as I *ALWAYS* follow up with a milder step (or two or three) anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95
    True vs. ?what?...quasi/pseudo/SMAT? Heh heh, I`m somehow not getting this...do the abrasives break down to a limited extent and then remain constant?

Quote Originally Posted by joel79
    It has to contain smat since Todd Helme used water to improve its working time, just like KBM on Megs smat abrasives...
    Nah, some of us have been adding water to increase both the cut and work time since forever, long before SMAT abrasives; I`ve been doing it since the mid-`70s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    I honestly think M105 was designed to work inside a shop with the a/c running. Because unless you use water, it will dry up and stick to a car like a magnet. And whatever is underneath it will not get any correcting because it has a layer of protective compound covering it.

This and the fact that it doesn`t have the nicest finish has me looking elsewhere
    Tried M105 a month or two ago to see what all the hubub was about; after one section I tossed the bottle. Had read all the tips/tricks/spritz/work fast/combine with {whatever} on pad but in the end, not worth all the trouble when I can just drop some M101 on a cutting pad (foam) and take care of some pretty severe oxidation/defects in 4 passes w/ the Flex and a LC Force Gray heavy cutting pad...and it finishes pretty well considering its ability as well. When I want to get something `heavy` done relatively quickly and neatly and Megs D300 w/ microfiber cutting discs does not apply, M101 fits the bill. Have Menz FG400 as well but, depending on task at hand, SMAT is quicker than working DAT thru it`s cycle, especially when a follow up polishing is in the cards.

For whatever reason, since acquiring the Flex 3401 and Rupes LHR15 Mk 2 a few months ago, I like DAT w/ the Rupes (aside from the D300 combo on the Rupes) and SMAT with the Flex. :shrug:

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite DAT compound is FG400. I hate the smell, but it leaves a great finish and is just consistent. I have heard BOSS Fast Correction Cream works very similar to FG400 but I haven`t had time to try it yet. I also like Sonax Cutmax and Rupes Zephyr Coarse.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

True vs. ?what?...quasi/pseudo/SMAT? Heh heh, I`m somehow not getting this...do the abrasives break down to a limited extent and then remain constant?
    Yep, the clumped abrasives in FG400 break down into a SMAT type of product.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I must be some kind of outlier on M105 as it never stuck to the paint or otherwise caused me issues. But then I only work it for a *VERY* short time and always buff it off while it`s still wet.

My only issues with it (and "issues" is way too strong) were wanting more cut and the micromarring from never breaking down. That last bit isn`t really a problem IMO as I *ALWAYS* follow up with a milder step (or two or three) anyhow.
    Alright then you come down here to Florida in the middle of 90 degree heat and try to compound a car outside like I do, I bet you won`t last.

But I have came to the realization that full polishing is always going to require at least 2 steps. Maybe it`s better to have an arsenal of products instead of just 1 product that you depend on. But I would consider this my rebuilding of the arsenal stage for better products. Because detailing is like painting a canvas, the more paint and tools you have the better the picture will be.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    Yep, the clumped abrasives in FG400 break down into a SMAT type of product.
    OK, thanks for confirming. Nice feature for those who like DAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted 2Bling
    Alright then you come down here to Florida in the middle of 90 degree heat and try to compound a car outside like I do, I bet you won`t last.
    Heh heh, my days of detailing in anon-climate-controlled environment are long behind me My last shop got into the triple-digits in the summer (which caused the overhead door`s motor to quit, making for more work) but it lacked the humidity that you guys in Florida have to deal with.

Situational factors like that can make all the difference, huh? I bet the "outside in the heat" is exactly what you *don`t* want with M105. And I sure agree with you regarding the finish it leaves (follow-up or not), don`t know how some guys get it to finish nicer but I just can`t.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how 101 would compare to d300? D300 is made for cutting with a microfiber pad and is a favorite. I`ve never used 101. I`ve been sticking with Rupes blue, FG400, or D300. I have a small bottle of HD Cut, but I`ve never got around to trying it out. Too many compounds, not enough beat up cars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information