Post Thanks / Like

New pads for 7424. Help with 2 week old Jeep Renegade (snow brush scratches)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...psbe0f1ink.jpg

Jeep Story by Sequoiasoon | Photobucket

So someone cleaned the most recent snow of my Father-in-laws 2 week old Jeep Renegade Jetset Blue. Wife wanted to try it in the snow. These scratches weren`t there a week ago after the heavy snow where we tried to get stuck. Yesterday a light dusting, now I see these.

I have a PC 7424 with a 6" hook and loop, an almost full bottle of KAIO, some older bottles of Manzerna polishes and I know some other stuff.

My pads are dead and my polish/clean supplies are old and shot. I need to get some stuff. I`ve got 2 weeks to bring this back to nice.

I need some clay pads for all the cars, this jeep is rough from dealer. Dad will be doing car washes so swirls will definitely come back. I want to give it a good coat of something lasting before he does that also. I`ll try to get my son to help and maintain if possible but it will be an overall losing battle. Son and I will need to maybe to some corrections 1-2 times per year to get rid of large swirls.

Give me your thoughts on ordering from Autopia/Autogeek later today or tomorrow.

THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New pads for 7424. Help with 2 week old Jeep Renegade (snow brush scratches)

I would forget about the clay pads. I have one (Nanoskin AutoScrub) but don`t use it much on paint, only on glass. You need to feel what`s going on with clay (real or polymer substitute), so do it by hand instead of by machine. For that I use a Nanoskin AutoScrub mitt.

Clay is for getting contaminants out of the paint, not removing swirls. Unless your dad washes the car thoroughly before using a clay pad, he will merely move grit around with the pad.

Having said that and looked at your pictures, the scratches don`t look too bad. I don`t have any first-hand experience with KAIO or Jeep paint, but I can`t imagine that you can`t rid the paint of the scratches I see. My go-to product is 3D HD Speed with Hex Logic pads, on a PC 7424XP. For protection I use Collinite 845, but FK1000P also looks like a strong performer and I will test it sometime this year.

Edit: I just want to clarify that by "clay pad" I mean a product used with your PC 7424XP, like the Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad -- I wouldn`t use that on paint because you won`t be able to feel what`s going on. Use a wash mitt like the Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt instead.

I doubt the KAIO will have enough cut for the scratches. You`ll probably want something like 3D HD Speed 32 oz. or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 and a thin microfiber pad for removing the scratches, then go over the area again with your KAIO to polish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New pads for 7424. Help with 2 week old Jeep Renegade (snow brush scratches)

That scratch looks fairly deep. You may want to pick up a couple of Meguires microfiber cutting pads and then some Lake Country Thin Pro finishing pads. You have some Menz polishes and they, depending on the cut may be all you need. After claying and polishing I would suggest using either McKees Paint Coating or PBL Paint Coating to try to keep the marring down to a minimum. Buy one of the coating kits that have everything included to save time and money.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the advice. The clay pads I meant the hand versions. All I`ve had has been the older clay (pinnacle) that you need to keep folding. I like to feel when it gets smooth. I didn`t know they actually had machine versions. I wouldn`t trust myself to keep it lubricated on a machine.

The light reading I`ve done looks like many are going to smaller pads. Should I get a smaller velcro backing plate to go with the pads? I need to read on the different brands and reviews. My last pads were from Classic motoring I think lake country.

Links to recommendations are always welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

A five inch pad on a Porter Cable works the best. You can buy the 4 7/8 inch backing plate. The Meguires microfiber system comes with a backing plate, pads, and polish. It will remove deep defects using the Porter Cable and finish out great.

Thread Information