Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Best sealant or product to reduce rock chips?

Hi guys, I recently bought a Ford Fusion with Redfire color paint. I love the car and the paint. When I bought it a few weeks ago it had one very noticeable paint chip on one door, so I got some touch-up paint and fixed that. But in the past couple of weeks I`ve noticed that paint seems to be collecting tiny paint chips. More like slivers, and most appear to be down to the primer but not the metal. I live in the country and on a gravel road, so I am sure that`s a big part of the problem.

My question is, is there a particular sealant or product I can use on the paint to make it less likely to get more chips? I`ve coated the car with a couple of layers of Klasse SG so far, but the chips still seem to be multiplying. Most are very small but just large enough for me to notice. Is Ford Fusion paint (it`s a 2008) particularly soft and more susceptible to chips? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best sealant or product to reduce rock chips?

I think the only think you can do for rock chips is a paint protection film. To my knowledge, no wax, sealant, or coating will protect your car from rock chips.
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick

Post Thanks / Like

Films like Xpel or Suntek are the only real solution for stone chips and other road debris.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear bra is your only choice

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Not wanting to add a film or bra. Would any sealants at least reduce the frequency of rock chips? I wasn`t expecting to eliminate them, but at least make them less common? Would layering a sealant help with this or is it just a lost cause short of film or a bra?

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a lost cause, layering any sealant or coating. The only thing that could protect your paint, is paint protection film.
    Thanks MackCollier thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ppf

Post Thanks / Like

Sealants and coatings are just not thick enough to provide much protection from rock chips. Just invest in a kit from Dr. Colorchip and stay on top of the situation. Sorry I couldn`t be of more assistance.
    Likes MackCollier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As already noted, no wax, sealant, or coating is going to reduce or prevent the chipping. Clear bra or maybe something like the 3m 90000 paint defender spray film is your only option. Mud flaps will help a little too if you don`t already have them.

Post Thanks / Like

If somebody`s bound-and-determined to try fortifying the paint against rock chips with LSP, I`d go with many layers of KSG because of the (relatively) thick "plasticy" build-film that can be achieved. But I sure wouldn`t expect it to actually provide any signifcant benefit. For that matter, I`ve had rocks penetrate high-quality PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

If you drive on dirt/gravel roads, you can expect your share of rock/gravel-induced paint chips. Both suggestions above of mud flaps and paint-protection film would be wise investments on your part IF you plan or must continue to drive on gravel roads.

On a related note about gravel, check your tires periodically for imbedded stones/gravel in the tread. Those detritus can cause tire/wheel unbalance, not to mention tire noise, and even lead to tire punctures should you hit a pot hole or road debris in an unlucky way. All it takes is a dulled flat-tip screw driver to wedge them out. You may be surprised how many imbedded stones have been worn off to tread depth.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    If you drive on dirt/gravel roads, you can expect your share of rock/gravel-induced paint chips..
    Sigh...the Crown Vic was driven extensively on limestone gravel access roads while in-service. Besides the usual chips up top, the whole underside suffered greatly and is an ongoing project.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating, would that offer any protection against rock chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    How about Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating, would that offer any protection against rock chips?
    Nope

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that would reduce (not guarantee) damage, is to place it in a building somewhere and never again open the building up.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information