Post Thanks / Like

New compound and glaze choices

I have been using a Flex rotary with a 2" wool pad for over 25yrs and will not part with it, it is an outstanding unit.

I have also been using it with Maguire`s compounds and 3m Finesse it mixed with (50/50) 3m hand glaze for final polish works real good for swirl mark removal and doesn`t wash off reexposing swirls like hand glaze does when applied buy hand then follow with hand glaze buy hand.

My main use for this is collision work, been doing that for over 30yrs. So fresh paint is what this work is being performed on, after a 24hr dry time. That is common practice in this field, not all jobs come out spotless in fact few do there is something needing addressed on almost everyone some worse some better.

Anyhow I have also used the foam pads when they first came out and did not like them at all and wrote them off until just recently when a restoration friend told me to give CG V-series compounds and thier Hexlogic pads a try. I did and still felt the wool as a first cut was faster at getting the 2000 wetsand scratches out then followed with the CG foam pad and V-series worked great.

I went to a detail store in Canton, OH to get some supplies and to try their foam pads. They asked me what compound I was using and when I told them they gave me a couple samples of Sonex 06-04 & 04-06 and said it is the best compound and polish they have used. I haven`t used it yet as the project the material was for is not ready. The vehicle is black and has been compounded with a wool pad and quickly with a foam pad so there are still slight holograms that need addressed, nothing nasty but there non the less.

I have acquired a Flex 3401 for the project and bought LC HD pads for it as recommended. This is my first go with an orbital but want the process to go faster on the collision end because time is limited and regulated buy the Ins Co.`s.

Is the pad choice a good one or is there a better one I need to look into?

How about the compound and polish? Is Sonex what they say it is? I`ve been reading the posts and see a lot like Menzerna, how would it compare to CG or Sonex. I like that CG`s washes off easy if splatter gets in tight spots.

I also do restorations but that will be for another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New compound and glaze choices

I`m not a big fan of cg compounds except on super soft paint but i dont have anymore of cg compound/polishes and i dont plan getting more. the polishes i use and like are the menzerna line for sure and blackfire, i`ve sampled the 3d/hd compounds/polishes a bit and they seam to work well just dont have a lot of experience with them yet to say. I have also used the sonax 4-6 but it is so nice i dont wanna use it on just any average job

for pads ive used the lc lo pro with my gg6" da as well as b&s euro tech pads but i just got a rupes lhr21 with a 5" backing plate and that beast did wonders faster and better than i could expect from a da, but nothing can`t really beat a good old fashioned rotary though for some serious defect removal

just my .02 worth

Post Thanks / Like

You will get such a variety of answers. People have found their preferences, while others continue to try new (to them) products out. And of course, YMMV! Some people have not-so-good experiences with Product A, while others have the best experience with that same product!

Here`s a little testing I did somewhat recently. http://www.autopia.org/forums/machin...tml?highlight= Since then, I`ve also tried BOSS cremes (correcting and perfecting) and liked those. Easy to work with and nice results as well.

I won`t comment on pads as I`m still playing with various kinds.
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what JustJesus said regarding opinions.

I`m almost exclusively meguiar`s M100 compound, and M205 polish, paired with Buff and Shine (and their Hex Face foam pads). The typical pairings: M100 with either B&S microfiber, or green hex pads. M205 with blue hex pads. More often than not I`m using a Porter Cable 7424, or 7424xp. I`ve also used Lake Country Hydrotech pads, but prefer the Buff and Shine made hexlogic pads.

Other time I`ll use Rupes Duetto, and Mini with their pads, and Meguiar`s liquids. I also use the Rupes gels, but not as much as the Meguiar`s.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The sonax polishes are good. I have not used them but they come from a manufacturer that produces great product. I believe Mike Phillips has an article about them on Autogeek.

The hybrid pads are a fan favorite for the flex 3401.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

datec- Welcome to Autopia!

Products and pads have improved drastically over the last few years, and stuff I was happy with for decades (including stuff from 3M that I used to love) has been utterly superseded by much better options. The recent developments in abrasive technology has simply changed the game IMO.

Is that Canton store the one on West Tusc. ? If so, I`d rather be using products from companies who are availing themselves of the latest technology. (watching my wording here as I don`t want to give offense.)

I`ve switched to M101 for my compound, and HD Polish for my Finishing Polish.

IMO pad choice remains subjective; I only like pads with smooth faces. With the Flex 3401 I don`t like extremely thick pads, but those aren`t too common any more. I seldom use MicroFiber or PurpleFoamedWool pads on that machine but some others do and like it.

I can`t get the final finish I want with my Flex 3401 no matter what pads/products I use, presumably due to its forced rotation. But that`s just me and it may very well work fine for your situation. Should be a lot easier hologram-wise than the rotary.

Flex 3401 tips- Don`t angle it/apply so much pressure so that you force the backing plate into contact with the polisher`s main housing, and put a little "clean" oil on the felt friction ring.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It occurs to me that the newish Meguiar`s M305 might be kinda similar to the Finesse-It/IHG mix, though the FI might contribute more cut (and uses diminishing abrasives IIRC...hard to remember, haven`t used it in decades).

Thread Information