Post Thanks / Like

Compound for after painting

I am doing a small touch-up paint job on my bumper and was wondering what a good compound/polish would be to remove any wet-sanded areas or places where the paint blends, and on the clear-coat itself if needed?

Thanks as always

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound for after painting

A good compound available over the counter is Meguiars Ultimate Compound..
    Meguiars also makes an Ultimate Polish to follow up after using the compound..

Just be careful as the amount of paint on the existing plastic parts is always way less than on the metal parts..
    Also, plastic does not dissipate heat very well at all and if it gets too hot, it can delaminate off in big amounts..

If I was going to do this and was new at it I would want to keep the compound and pad moist enough so it did not dry out but instead worked longer, so it could finish better.. Wipe it off a lot and look at the work as you go.. Dont try to do it all in 1 pass...

If you are more experienced with products and machines, we can suggest other products as well..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t do the compounding too soon (the paint will harden as it cures) and don`t expect the compound to fix something that oughta be wetsanded.
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I was figuring on Ultimate Compound also. I have m205 but do you think I should finish it with the ultimate polish instead? I am not sure how they compare regarding aggressiveness.

Also, not sure if you would know but I`ll pick your brain anyway. Base color is Urethane. I have been reading mixed answers; any ideas on a re coat window for urethane, or how long I should wait before applying clear?

Post Thanks / Like

agtjamesb007- No idea about the recoat window, gotta admit I`ve basically forgotten everything I ever knew about stuff like that (which wasn`t all that much to begin with ).

I don`t think the diffs between M205 and Ult. Polish will amount to anything significant. I`m not a big fan of either though, *GREATLY* preferring HD Polish. Do`nt switch to the Finishing Polish (whichever you use) until the compound has done all the heavy lifting.
    Thanks agtjamesb007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d check with the paint manufacture`s for what their recommendations are, but IME, clear goes on 15-120 minutes after color or you wait at least 24 hours and may have to scuff the color. The early times above are dependent on the `speed` of the reducer you use and your ambient temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information