Post Thanks / Like

2K clearcoating headlights

I am going to be clearcoating my headlights. Has anyone tried a 2K clearcoat for your headlights. I have Spraymax 2K for paint correction but have read where you need a plastic adhesive coating before you can spray the clear coat on polycarbonate headlights. I am a little unsure of what the final sanding I should do. I communicated with one tech that said I should not go finer then 800grit which seems really rough before spraying the plastic adhesive and I am worried it won`t make the sanding scratches disappear. I would rather go to 1200 to 1500. Are there different coatings with different applications? Share experiences if you have any.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2K clearcoating headlights

I did a set for a Tundra last week. I hit them with 800 grit and a gray scotch brite pad along the edges where sand paper doesn`t work well. Sprayed three coats of DuPont (Nason) clear...I think they look better than new!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post
    Thanks Bindytou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
    I did a set for a Tundra last week. I hit them with 800 grit and a gray scotch brite pad along the edges where sand paper doesn`t work well. Sprayed three coats of DuPont (Nason) clear...I think they look better than new!
    Did you spray a adhesive promoter before spraying the clearcoat on the head lights? So 800 grit was the finest grit you sanded down to aside from the edges and the clear coat filled in the sanding scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lexusgs View Post
    Did you spray a adhesive promoter before spraying the clearcoat on the head lights? So 800 grit was the finest grit you sanded down to aside from the edges and the clear coat filled in the sanding scratches?
    I did not use an adhesion promoter...probably should have and I would recommend you do...and yes, the clear covered the 800 grit scratch. You can go finer if you want. I have a friend who final sands the headlights he does with 1000 grit.

Thread Information