Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Choose Polish for a 4Runner

Anybody polish a Newer (2014+) Toyota 4Runner? If so, what worked for you?
    I`ve got one next week, my Bro-in-law, and I`ve got it for at least three days.

Of course, a test spot is expected, but I thought some guidance would be better than throwing darts. There are spots where I`ll need to compound, but am wondering if I`ll need to compound and polish the entire vehicle.
    Here`s what I have:

FG 400
    PF 2500
    W. Uber
    W. Uber AIO
    HD Cut
    HD Polish
    M205

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Choose Polish for a 4Runner

And machines

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t want to compound everything, just compound/polish the hood/roof and upper areas of the sides, then just polish the rest. If it`s a white Toyota remember it could be Single Stage just FYI/Heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies so far. I`ll be using my Flex 3401 with LC Hybrid, orange & white. I also have a Rupes 15, but always find myself reaching for the Flex.
    The color is a dark grey metallic.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot with Menz PF2500. You may not need another step depending on your goal.
    Likes Stokdgs, tenblade2001 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    If you don`t want to compound everything, just compound/polish the hood/roof and upper areas of the sides, then just polish the rest. If it`s a white Toyota remember it could be Single Stage just FYI/Heads up.
    Wow, so, a 2014 white Toyota could be a single stage?! Interesting, I`ll be polishing a 2012 or 2013 white (Not the Blizzard Pearl) Toyota Prius anytime soon.

Thanks for your information!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rookiez View Post
    Wow, so, a 2014 white Toyota could be a single stage?! Interesting, I`ll be polishing a 2012 or 2013 white (Not the Blizzard Pearl) Toyota Prius anytime soon.

Thanks for your information!!
    I believe it`s their "super white" color code. I`m not saying they`re all Single Stage, but so far to me it has seem that way. Check out Donbeezy`s thread below where he corrected a tundra with chalky paint, in case you need some info on what could work.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...=toyota+tundra

I`m interested in seeing if the Prius you do turns out to be Single Stage as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it`s their "super white" color code. I`m not saying they`re all Single Stage, but so far to me it has seem that way. Check out Donbeezy`s thread below where he corrected a tundra with chalky paint, in case you need some info on what could work.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...=toyota+tundra

I`m interested in seeing if the Prius you do turns out to be Single Stage as well.
    I had a 2014 Blizzard Pearl Toyota Prius before, it`s the same white color used on many newer Lexus. However, the 2012/2013 one has a white color that has no metallic flakes on it, which what the Blizzard Pearl is. Therefore, I assume that it`s a different color. I think it has a clear coat as I can see the gloss of a clear coat on my friend`s Prius. But, again, I`m not familiar with how a single stage paint should look like.

Thanks for the link anyway!!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife`s 2012 Camry is super white which is single stage. Most of all the Toyota`s with non-metallic paint are single stage. It still can look glossy though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, any of these single stage paint should able to be touched up easier since there isn`t any clear coat. I have no risk of burning through the clear coat as well right? However, they tend to get dull easier compared to the clear-coated one, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

You can still burn through single stage,so approach with care as you would with clear coat. It fades easier yes and oxidation builds up easier on it, so a solid sealant should be applied and wash regularly since staining sticks more to it.

EXP- sorry for the small thread Jack. I want to add to your first post that if you`re doing this for your bro in law as a freebie or similar, you may be good with just a polish since he may not even notice half the stuff you do on the paint. I`ve done just a polish on friends cars and to me it looked like 40% improvement but to them it was "better than when I bought it" .

I guess if you want to play around with products for experimenting you could compound and polish, but if you`re leaning more towards completing in a timely manner rather than spend all 3 days on it, a solid polishing session may give you good results. If the truck is going to get washed in the tunnel or in a non "Autopian" way, I probably wouldn`t compound it since you may be seeing it again down the line.

Just my thoughts.
    Likes JustJesus, rookiez liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can still burn through single stage,so approach with care as you would with clear coat. It fades easier yes and oxidation builds up easier on it, so a solid sealant should be applied and wash regularly since staining sticks more to it.

EXP- sorry for the small thread Jack. I want to add to your first post that if you`re doing this for your bro in law as a freebie or similar, you may be good with just a polish since he may not even notice half the stuff you do on the paint. I`ve done just a polish on friends cars and to me it looked like 40% improvement but to them it was "better than when I bought it" .

I guess if you want to play around with products for experimenting you could compound and polish, but if you`re leaning more towards completing in a timely manner rather than spend all 3 days on it, a solid polishing session may give you good results. If the truck is going to get washed in the tunnel or in a non "Autopian" way, I probably wouldn`t compound it since you may be seeing it again down the line.

Just my thoughts.
    I appreciate your input. I agree. I came to the conclusion earlier while sweating during hard yard work that he`ll just end up tunnel washing it, and that I should let myself relax and not go all-out worrying about every last detail as if I`m going to present it here for all to see. I might even just AIO it. He..he..no, wait can`t do that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXPDetailing View Post
    I appreciate your input. I agree. I came to the conclusion earlier while sweating during hard yard work that he`ll just end up tunnel washing it, and that I should let myself relax and not go all-out worrying about every last detail as if I`m going to present it here for all to see. I might even just AIO it. He..he..no, wait can`t do that...
    This is solid advice. I know that in the small circle of cars that I take care of I ask the friends and relatives how they intend to maintain the vehicle. It does help me determine my course of action. Don`t get me wrong. I`ll still do high quality work but I`ll no longer do a 3 stage polish just to prove I can make it "perfect" if it`s going to a tunnel wash two weeks down the road. The people that choose to go this route usually can`t see the difference anyway. I spent years figuring this out with my father. I`d try to take him and show him the finished product after I`ve pointed out the problems up front, only to have him tell me I can`t see it. This finally sunk in with me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for the explanation Migue!
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXPDetailing View Post

Screw it I would use HD Speed if i were you, so easy to work with especially on a hot day and you can just let it sit while you go around the car then wipe it all off at the end. Only reason i may choose HD Polish over Speed is if i`m applying a dedicated LSP After . I pointed out to my buddy all the defects that did not come out with just a polish on his car,while we were standing in front of them under the sun....and he still could not see them, then he told me strangers were coming up to him randomly to compliment the way his car looked, so if it`s "perfect" for him, it`s a win-win .

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information