Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
... I`ll still do high quality work but I`ll no longer do a 3 stage polish just to prove I can make it "perfect" if it`s going to a tunnel wash two weeks down the road. The people that choose to go this route usually can`t see the difference anyway. ....
Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
.... I pointed out to my buddy all the defects that did not come out with just a polish on his car,while we were standing in front of them under the sun....and he still could not see them, then he told me strangers were coming up to him randomly to compliment the way his car looked, so if it`s "perfect" for him, it`s a win-win
Both of these comments are why it`s important to "Know your customer." - Last Sunday (oh, yesterday) I had a chance to work on a car that I did a 3 step on, roughly two years ago. A 2009 Camry, in white, of all things.

Car sat at Toyota for a recall, for a bit over two months. They gave it back to her looking bad. A TON of iron deposits., Running your hand over hood, roof and trunk felt like sand paper. CRAZY amount of it.

Anyway. She asked me to get rid of that stuff, along with greasy hand prints left behind from careless techs. She also asked for me to "wax" it (her speak for polish) and I said ok. Well, knowing what I did before, and knowing her, I knew what she wanted, and it would take a one step.

Sure enough, I only got to doing the hood and trunk lid. She thanked me, said it looked good. She thought I was done! Of course, I told her I`d be back to finish the rest of the car.

Point: Know your customers! Especially if you`re doing a job cheap, free, etc! (My sister just asked me to do her car. I declined, telling her she would be wasting her money!)