Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new truck..what the ?

Agree with Dan.

Even rattle can can clear coat would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to cut through with a wax applicator and HD speed by hand.

Best of luck to you. This is so blatantly obvious that the paint system is defective. Just need to hope that someone is willing to admit their mistake
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh that`s rough. What a beautiful color too.
    I`d let them know your concerns about the thickness of the rest of the clear.

I think you are handling this well. Please let us know how this turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will. I`m trying not to freak out about it. Do you guys think a good shop will be able to fix that spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a good shop should be able to fix that where it looks as good as new. Just tell the shop manager you expect good work and accept only the best job. Don`t take it to MAACO. Lol. Sorry you are having to do this on a new vehicle. A DA polisher should not have caused that to occur, much less by hand.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Thanks I will. I`m trying not to freak out about it. Do you guys think a good shop will be able to fix that spot?
    Lone Wolf -
    Did the Dealer get back to you with info they might have found from putting the VIN into their system ?

If the dealer is going to fix it, they are going to take it to their shop, I assume...
    And that would probably be the best alternative - it`s all on them, you did not take it to a shop that they can say is "inferior", etc., if something else comes up..

The bigger issue to me is that the paint thickness (or lack thereof) is a really big deal - and before anyone touches anything, someone needs to measure with a calibrated instrument if possible and determine if the area there is the same in microns, over the rest of the entire trucks paintwork..

if it IS measuring the same total thickness everywhere, then nothing good will come of this for you...

Sorry this had to happen to your truck..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, have paint thickness readings taken at various parts of the body. It`s a brand new truck and if it`s clear is already thin to THAT extent, then how will it look in 2 years....5 years?

I bought a 2008 Toyota Yaris new, and the clear on the roof started failing in about 5.5-6 years. This was before I learned about Autopia and detailing.

I would hate to see your brand new truck look like my roof in a shorter period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    No matter what you used, especially if you did it by hand, you should have not rubbed through the clear coat - ever -...
    Exactly! If the clear was that thin I can`t imagine it providing much UV protection; sounds like Paint Failure was already waiting to happen. I`d be *VERY* surprised if there weren`t some untold story behind this, though, sad to say, I`ll also be surprised if the dealer/Toyota is much help.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope they make this right for you. It sounds like this ordeal might just be blessing in disguise, it will be better that you found out now rather than later.

On another note I am a weekend warrior, but I have a paint gauge for the fact that I don`t even touch a vehicle without checking the paint thickness. My GF leased a Black RAV4 I should take my gauge to it and see what kind of readings I get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Lone Wolf -
    Did the Dealer get back to you with info they might have found from putting the VIN into their system ?
    He has not gotten back to me yet. He sent the information to Toyota on Saturday so Ill give him one more day. Then Ill call on Wednesday. I went ahead and did the rest of the truck and it was fine. I figured I might as well see if there were any other spots but all looks good so far. I stopped by a local shop and they took a look and agreed that what I did shouldn`t have caused that. Im hoping that the dealer will let me take it there for the repair.
    Likes NLove liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    He has not gotten back to me yet. He sent the information to Toyota on Saturday so Ill give him one more day. Then Ill call on Wednesday. I went ahead and did the rest of the truck and it was fine. I figured I might as well see if there were any other spots but all looks good so far. I stopped by a local shop and they took a look and agreed that what I did shouldn`t have caused that. Im hoping that the dealer will let me take it there for the repair.
    LoneWolf -
    I am so glad this issue is getting better for you -
    Has anyone stepped up and said - "let`s measure the paint thickness all over to be sure its going to be even and the same as another new truck has on it on the lot" yet??
    Good luck -
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be a problem with Toyota paint/clear. I`ve seen way too many cars down here with faded roofs/hoods and they all seem to be Toyota. I have a Tacoma myself so I`m really layering my roof/hood just to make sure it`s protected. And I`ve never seen a clear to be that new and that thin! I say it was a manufacturer defect, hold them accountable for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Catch the weasels red handed, find someone with a positest/eclometer and take reads all over the car. Time to find out what they really sold you....
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000, House of Wax liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went to dealer today and he took readings all over the truck. I was looking over his shoulder at the meter and reads ranged from 410 to 390. The spot that rubbed off read 290. He did a good job and checked over the whole truck in multiple areas on each panel. Now I just have to wait for Toyotas decision.
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xspwrstang View Post
    I think it might be a problem with Toyota paint/clear. Ive seen way too many cars down here with faded roofs/hoods and they all seem to be Toyota. ...!
    Negative. I work in an office on the 7th floor. I sometimes stare at the cars driving by/stopped at the light just to...well, stare. Meditation?

Anyway. I used to be shocked at how many roofs have clear coat failure. Trust me, its not limited to Toyotas. On last count, 65-70% of the cars I spot are like that. So sad

(location: Anaheim, CA. About 2 miles from Disneyland - so I see quite the traffic)
    Dislikes Hawaiian disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Toyota got this all figured out when all those ninth generation Corollas had extreme CC failures. They should be ashamed and I would raise hell if they choose not to take care of it. It is not your fault when you are talking HD Speed on one of the softest applicator pads out there BY HAND! Dont blame yourself for a second. Take a look at third generation Altimas as well, horrible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information