Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb question about polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And keep those "desired results" real-world-sensible
    In my time away from having a "nice" car to detail, that was one of the lessons that kind of hit me when I went through a phase where I thought we were ALL insane for spending so much time and effort on a car (I`m over that now and just as crazy as the rest of you again). With my Camaro, there are a few areas that were abused by the previous owner and have some deeper RIDS & swirls. So far with just a first light compounding with Megs UC, I have been able to raise the gloss and depth to where the defects aren`t near as obvious or apparent and I can live with it.

My LAST Camaro was also black and I had it PERFECT, but I was miserable trying to keep it that way. This was in the late 80`s before microfibers, detail sprays, RW and WW, AND FORUMS like this, so every time I needed to clean the car, it was a full wash. I used more Meg`s #9 than anything else. But now I`m older, wiser (and lazier) and know much more about detailing.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb question about polishing

Quote Originally Posted by BlkToy14 View Post
    I do have another question. If you don`t mind. Fits in here. When taping off plastic lenses and trim and such. Of course is required for the menzerna 1000. Is it required to make sure no scratching with the 3500? I`m planning on using the orange pad with the 1000, light blue with 3500.
    Yes, always tape off; trim, fake chrome, and edges or raised body lines (because you can quickly burn trough the paint in these areas). The last thing you want to do is go over the whole car with plastic razor blades, toothpicks, small brushes and APC to get all the polish/compound out of the cracks.

I also recommend covering the windows because there`s some dusting and it eventually ends up in-between the glass and it`s weather seal (drove me nuts, spent hours with a plastic razor getting it perfect again).

Good luck and happy detailing!
    Likes Jfrat liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information