Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on produts and pads.

Ancient_1 -
    Crete guys, bricklayers and ironworkers have to the toughest guys I have ever met...

Great info on your reply - thanks -

Looks like you have it all dialed in for your needs and great plans for the future...

I like to keep the working surfaces moist - just enough - to allow the product to work through its entire cycle, and not throw up a bunch of annoying dust before its done...

Since this means my foam pad is moist, I like to keep a small white towel on my cart, so I can wipe the pad off really well, cleaning it pretty good, allowing me to look at what color the gunk is that came off that spot...

Yes, painting all the walls and ceiling white will really help reflect light on your vehicle.. I always make it a point to do that...

Regarding the Clear Bra, If its all scratched up (and I have never seen one that was not), you can do some limited work on it to help that out..
    But it will be limited and you have to be careful because its plastic and plastic does NOT release heat very well and certainly never as fast as metal does...

Mind the pressure you put on it and of course, never leave it one spot long enough so it creates a lot of heat..

Perhaps slow your speed/rotation down until you can see if the results are positive or not, and always, always, work from the back of the long edge toward the edge, so you don`t shove a bunch of stuff up under the edge...

I have done I don`t know, about 100 of them, using a Rotary, and have always improved them to a point; then it`s not going to get better... Its soft plastic film..

The finer compound will always be my choice, and perhaps that Essence product which has some correction and hiding ability might work as well...
    I have not tried the Essence product, but years before it came out, Sonax Perfect Finish was doing about the same thing, and it worked really well for that need..

Anything you put on it as your LSP is going to come off the Clear Bra first, because it just doesn`t adhere well to plastic compared to paintwork on metal or fiberglass, etc...

Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes Ancient_1 liked this post
    Thanks Mary B, Ancient_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my advise.. sell me that wagon, WOW
    Likes Stokdgs, Ancient_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Here`s my advise.. sell me that wagon, WOW
    Mary B - I know !!!!! I love those wagons !!!!

When I was married I had a 2003 BMW Wagon that had all the M5 equipment in it and on it and it was an incredible ride !
    The 4 tailpipe tips sticking out the back like the M5 made it look really great...

Since it was the last year they were making this E39 platform, they added a few things to the V8 engine and that wagon flat kicked butt...
    Sorry to lose that baby in the divorce, and then she sold it to someone else instead of me...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a little update on my progress. I backed it out of the garage into the sun to check on how my polishing looked in the sun (something we haven`t seen much of) so far. I haven`t be working on it all week since mon because the temp in my garage ranged from 37 to 45 degrees and don`t know if the low temps would affect the polishing and like it to be above 50 so that I could work in a t-shirt and not have to wear a sweatshirt. I am thinking it will look better once it gets the Uber coating applied since it`s just bare paint now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, jrock645, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ancient_1
    She`s Beautiful !!!!!
    Great job !!!
    When you can pick up little tiny things like those baby leaves on that tree clearly, then you are about as clear as it`s going to get..
    Wow - you did it !!
    Dan F
    Likes jrock645, Ancient_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My belief most of my life has been never compete with anyone on being able to do what they do for a living. But I also believe that I have done enough different things that if I have the tools and products and an understanding what the process is I will get close even tho how long it will take is a completely different matter. But in this close can be quite noticeable because it is the little things that set the men from the boys.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    My belief most of my life has been never compete with anyone on being able to do what they do for a living. But I also believe that I have done enough different things that if I have the tools and products and an understanding what the process is I will get close even tho how long it will take is a completely different matter. But in this close can be quite noticeable because it is the little things that set the men from the boys.
    Hey Ancient Im a brick/stone guy and you certainly can achieve very good results, It just wont be as quick as someone who does it for a living, as you know

I have hard paint, I moved to megs MF disk with D300 compound, took it right out and better yet , is very user friendly as far as work time, wipe off and no dust!

You may want to try speed 5 with the compound and speed 4 with the final polish, even 3 depending on the polish.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I picked the speeds for polishing and compounding were from a post by Mike at DedicatedPerfection made on the speeds that worked best with the 400/4000 combo and he has done a lot with them even tho he uses flex polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally finished the coating last night (12:45 AM today actually) and here is a link to some photos I just took.Uber Slideshow by Ancient_11 | Photobucket
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!
    Thanks Ancient_1 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information