Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hack job at the body shop.. input?

After owning my new car for about 3 months, the paint had several chips from road work (debris flying up and hitting it). Insurance covered it, I went to their preferred shop which was probably a huge mistake. I get it back after 3 weeks. They repainted the hood, and the whole side of the car. When I picked it up, it looked fine. It was cloudy and they also had it parked under a pop up car port. One thing I did notice was my headlight wasn`t reinstalled properly. The manager told me that I might see "ghosts" pop up after a couple days and to bring it back in and they`ll polish it out. Sounded weird. I`m not experienced in this whole repainting process, so I went with it. After a few days there weren`t just a few "ghosts", the entire paint job that they did was covered in buffer trails. It looked worse than before I brought it in. I would gladly take a few paint chips than what they left me with. They also put in a new windshield which was overkill. There was a tiny chip in it that barely scratched the surface. After that, my windshield makes an annoying buzzing sound going 80mph (that`s the speed limit ). Anyway, the insurance adjuster sent me to a dealership in a larger city because I`m stationed in a small town. They said they`d get it all fixed up and polish it out right. Well the buffer trails came back after just a week or so. I didn`t wash it at all. Not even after the fresh paint. Now, I`m taking it back in and I`m worried they`re going to just mask the problem. Does anyone have any advice? How do I tell they`re going to correct it and not just mask it? My insurance guy said they may have to repaint it. Now, my car only had 300 miles on it when I took it in, and having it repainted twice is killing me. 12037965_10200955562767049_9138530277331142507_n.jpgo.jpg Here`s a few pictures, it looks worse in person though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hack job at the body shop.. input?

Where are you located? Sorry to hear you`re having such a hard time getting that straightened out. If I were you I`d seek out another person to do the work aside from the preferred shop - seems like they`re having trouble getting the finish to your standards, which is common. A lot of people just don`t notice this kind of stuff.

Insurance guy doesn`t need to be telling you to repaint it either. This can likely be corrected by someone with more experience. You could even probably do it yourself if you`re willing. We`re all here to help!
    Likes katdrox liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don`t need to repaint it. Your options are one of two things...

1. Find a credible detailer who can polish it out. It will cost you around 3-400 I`m guestimating.
    2. Do it yourself, I know this sounds crazy but learning to polish is very easy with newer systems and you will thank yourself in the long run.

I genuinely get sickened by this, if you need any help feel free to ask me and I would more then happy to recommend a super easy polishing setup that will get that car looking back to perfect (Beyond new) in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Mountain Home Idaho When they sent me to the dealer in Boise, the main paint/detail guy was out on vacation so I`m assuming their next best guy didn`t get it done properly. The paint job was done at some family owned body shop and their paint guy was either drunk or high. They left my car in shambles, even in the inside there was dust and rubber stripping. Didn`t even bother to clean it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I will decline the new paint They left swirls/spiderwebs all over as well. I`m definitely going to need some guidance on cleaning it up. I don`t trust anyone to wash my car. It was hard enough to let them do this. I was really lucky with my previous car, but then again it was a silver steel. Really regretting the black.

Post Thanks / Like

Hack job at the body shop.. input?

I feel like this is par for the course for the average body shop? They know most people don`t care about holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katdrox View Post
    Thank you, I will decline the new paint They left swirls/spiderwebs all over as well. I`m definitely going to need some guidance on cleaning it up. I don`t trust anyone to wash my car. It was hard enough to let them do this. I was really lucky with my previous car, but then again it was a silver steel. Really regretting the black.
    Well hopefully we can make get back to thanking youself you got black. It`s definitely one of those love or hate relationships.

Personally I`d recommend a good polisher depending on budget, keep in mind even if it costs 3-400 you can use it on many cars and it`s a tool that will pay for itself years to come.

Either a Rupes LHR15 or Griots garage 6 inch da. Around 10 pads, rupes green and yellow 5 inch, then a simple super easy polish combo like meguiars M105 and M205.

To remove those light swirls and holograms all you need is M205 and a rupes green pad.
    Likes Stokdgs, katdrox, felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry that the Drunk Clowns with Rotaries have been found alive and well in Idaho....

This type of damage is just inexcusable, and if I were you I would go to the top of the food chain of your Insurance Dummies, and tell them they need stop referring those clowns to do anything ever again...

Tell them you are going to find a Professional Detailing Company in Boise, etc., to fix this damage and the Insurance company is paying for this too...

Do NOT sign off on this - until you are absolutely satisfied with the result...

Google Detailers in Boise and see what comes up...

I absolutely Love Black paint on anything and can do anything with it to improve it...

You will get through this part...

Afterwards, perhaps we can talk about a good Coating on there that will help cut down on the amount of work necessary to maintain Black looking its best...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Getting frustrated. There is no good sunlight so they can`t see it and won`t do anything about it. I drove an hour to get here and have to come back on a sunny day.

Post Thanks / Like

Just talk to your insurance company and tell them the paint job was terrible. Work with your insurance rep. Don`t deal with the body shop. Let the insurance company do its job. This will save you headaches. If the windshield was installed wrong tell the insurance company. You pay the insurance company, not the body shop. If it has to be repainted to get it to new standards who cares? Take the rental and leave it with the body shop until it is fixed correctly.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Just talk to your insurance company and tell them the paint job was terrible. Work with your insurance rep. Don`t deal with the body shop. Let the insurance company do its job. This will save you headaches. If the windshield was installed wrong tell the insurance company. You pay the insurance company, not the body shop. If it has to be repainted to get it to new standards who cares? Take the rental and leave it with the body shop until it is fixed correctly.
    unfortunately that`s who told me I`d have to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got Progressive Insurance and I had similar problems with a body shop, they just withheld payment until the work was done correctly. Sorry you are being put through this. This is the reason we pay insurance. And especially on a new car. I feel your pain.

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit more info, I only gave the body shop who did the initial repairs one chance. After seeing what condition they left my car in, I made it clear to Geico that I would not be taking it back there so they sent me to the Dodge dealer in Boise where they attempted to polish it out. He saw a minimal portion of it today due to the clouds and said it would have to be repainted. He then told me to bring it back in when the weather inproves so he can determine which panels need the paint. I brought up that I didn`t want to compromise my car more by doing this and he said he didn`t see any other way. This was from my insurance guy, not the collision place at the dealer but he was talking to the manager and I guess that`s what he suggested. It can`t be that screwed up. Right? :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katdrox View Post
    A little bit more info, I only gave the body shop who did the initial repairs one chance. After seeing what condition they left my car in, I made it clear to Geico that I would not be taking it back there so they sent me to the Dodge dealer in Boise where they attempted to polish it out. He saw a minimal portion of it today due to the clouds and said it would have to be repainted. He then told me to bring it back in when the weather inproves so he can determine which panels need the paint. I brought up that I didn`t want to compromise my car more by doing this and he said he didn`t see any other way. This was from my insurance guy, not the collision place at the dealer but he was talking to the manager and I guess that`s what he suggested. It can`t be that screwed up. Right? :/
    Yes, the guy who suggested a repaint is a moron. What your seeing a holograms, they are lightest of all defects, that are created by improper polishing. They are the easiest defects to remove and require the least amount of effort/work ethic, something this shop clearly lacks.

Demand you have it professionally fixed by a reputable detailer. It`s not only the right way but cheaper.
    Thanks katdrox thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Yes, the guy who suggested a repaint is a moron. What your seeing a holograms, they are lightest of all defects, that are created by improper polishing. They are the easiest defects to remove and require the least amount of effort/work ethic, something this shop clearly lacks.

Demand you have it professionally fixed by a reputable detailer. It`s not only the right way but cheaper.
    Thank you, seriously. It seems like even the dealer is trying to take advantage of the insurance. Either way, I`m going to go with what you suggested and buy my own stuff. The whole car needs some serious love. I`ve never seen so many swirls on a new car in my life. Even my 06 truck looks better than this. As for the windshield noise, they claim it`s the wipers and something about the timing. I don`t buy it. They work fine, go at the same speed, but the passenger side rests too high.
    I`m ready to get orders out of this place. I`m originally from Detroit, so having little options and poor quality across the board is irritating. I`m convinced they know nothing about cars here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information