Post Thanks / Like

PC and extension cords.

I was checking out Autogeek and read this about the new PC with the 25FT cord http://www.autogeek.net/poca74hdpl.html They went on to explain about the gauge of the cord. I never gave this much thought but it appears you can damage your PC if you don`t use the right gauge cord. I just use a long extension cord that is on a spool in the garage. I don`t know what gauge it is but it`s definitely thinner than the cord on my PC. I haven`t had any issues yet but am I asking for trouble using it? How important is the gauge of the cord and does anybody using the PC pay attention to this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC and extension cords.

I`m a little rusty on the subject, but I think the longer the cord length, generally the bigger gauge cord you need. I usually just use a 12 gauge extension cord for running the PC & Cyclo, because that`s what I have lying around.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I started a similar thread last week:
    http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...c-7424-hd.html

From the AG site its basically saying not to use anything more than a 18 gauge (stock PC cord) cord. The lower the gauge, the thicker the cord. So if your cord is 18 guage I think you`ll be OK but this isn`t my strong subject.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I am like you Anthony. I use an extension chord. Am not interested in a 25 ft. chord attached to my PC. I may be doing damage to my PC by using a thinner gauge chord but you could never tell it by the way the PC works.

Guess only time will tell.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use the PC for long periods of time with a thin cord, you may run the risk of overheating it. To be safe, you could stick to thick, short cords.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: PC and extension cords.

I use this Retractable Corded Reel with 3-outlet lightweight power block. It is mounted to the ceiling in my garage. The 30` 14/3 cord is rated @ 13A/120V/1625W. I have not noticed any degradation of performance (or overheating) in my PC or my Metro Vac `n Blo. And the really nice part is that I don`t have to manually wind it up when I`m done - just a quick pull & it`s all put away
    Last edited by norahcrv; 05-25-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Oops - added "0" to 12V :redface:
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like

"The 30` 14/3 cord is rated @ 13A/12V/1625W."

norahcrv, I suspect you missed a zero there -- it should be 13A/120V/1625W. Not to be negative, just a nit-picky point.

A couple of things to remember:
    One can`t tell the current carrying capacity -- called ampacity -- of a cord by its outside size. Some cords have more insulation and less conductor size than others. Read the label on the cord. The larger the wire size -- the better -- as in the 14/3 norahcrv listed.

Regardless how far you are form the outlet, the power goes through all of the cord on the reel. So norahcrv is putting power through all 30 feet of the cord on his reel, even if he only pulls out ten feet. So if one is using a 100 foot extension cord to reach an outlet twenty feet away, it would be best if the extension cord is #12, or get a shorter extension cord.

Using a small inexpensive extension cord can, over time, damage any tools or appliances that are plugged into it due to low operating voltage. The greater power drawn by the tool, the larger the wire size needs to be. I personally don`t own an extension cord that is smaller than #12, but that is just me. None of the wiring in the house or garage is smaller than #12 either. After 35 years with an electric utility, overkill in electrical wiring is second nature to me. Let`s not talk about fuses or circuit breakers – that is a whole other subject.
    Terry

Thread Information