Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pics of the Edge Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    What do you say Spilchy? How does that work for you?
    Nope, I`m sticking to my legitimate 3 sentence post that simply states

#1) The picture makes it look like the adpater can poke through #2) I use a lot of pressure on the PC #3) Would the adapter grind into my paint (if enough pressure is used).

I`ll spare typing *my* hypothetical vendor response to my question and stick with the hook and loop.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

My response was never meant to be taken so harshly, actually I was trying to be funny but it has obviously backfired. Just for the record, the origonal system did have problems however those problems were never in the security of the adapter on the pad, or the adapter comming though the pad. The issues were limited to the 5/16 adapter being screwed into the Edge2000 adapter and those two adapters vibrating apart. You see the Edge2000 system was designed for the rotary buffer where we have had no problems at all. Some people began adapting their Edge2000 adapters with the 5/16 adapter (which is available from many souces and I have attached a pic of here) to use on the PC. We wanted to make this easier for the customer so we began screwing them together here but did not do enough testing with it because we thought that the public had already done that and it was working. The action of the DA is so different than the rotary that it violently vibrates the two peices apart but not the pad from the adatper. To fix this we did a full engineering on the adapter to make is specifically for the DA and then offered the free upgrade to get any and all adapters in the field up to par. We also did not make pads for the DA and the action of the DA requires a much better adhesive which we did upgrade to and now have no problems but again the pads never damaged a car they just did not last and we replaced without question all defective pads. I am sorry if you took my answer to be "cute" in a kind of negative way, that was not my intent. I was trying to answer the concern while being funny about it which is why I put that laughing face at the end of my comments.

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand behind Aaron and his products 110%, day in and day out. I`ve been using their sysem since September and would never go back. I`ve never had a pad fly off, never pressed so hard that the adapter poked through (I don`t hold the pad that flat to begin with). The only problem I`ve had with one of my pads was that the hole rounded out from so much use. But by then, the pad was more or less toasted anyway.
    The great thing I like about their system is not only the ease of changing pads, but the feel I get while using a buffer. When I used velcro pads I could never seem to get the pad "just right", I always had a slight vibration. With the Edge system I get a much more positive feel while buffing, with the now even shorter rotary adapter I think any pad hopping has been eliminated.
    We can`t forget the HUGE line of pads that they offer. I`ve got wool, foam, and waffle foam pads and have zero complaints about any of them. My favorite ones are my waffle pads, I`ve fallen in love with the blue pad
    They`re cheaper than buying two one sided pads, they`re durable, Aaron provides oustanding customer service, and I overall just like `em

Dolan
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    Nope, I`m sticking to my legitimate 3 sentence post that simply states

#1) The picture makes it look like the adpater can poke through #2) I use a lot of pressure on the PC #3) Would the adapter grind into my paint (if enough pressure is used).

I`ll spare typing *my* hypothetical vendor response to my question and stick with the hook and loop.
    You gotta do what you gotta do. I`m as skeptical as they get and didn`t buy the product on the first round. I did pick it up a couple of months ago and can honestly say this is one of the slickest detailing products I own. That in itself is saying something, I own alot of detailing supplies, chemicals and tools. I`m going out on a limb here but believe that if you actually tried this not only would your worries be eliminated you would actually become a fan of the product. I`ve been watching the Edge posts pretty closely, I just haven`t seen anyone who didn`t like the latest revision of this product. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeaRock
    When I used velcro pads I could never seem to get the pad "just right", I always had a slight vibration. With the Edge system I get a much more positive feel while buffing, with the now even shorter rotary adapter I think any pad hopping has been eliminated.
    Same here, definitely less vibration.

The biggest obstacle that people have with trying this system is that they already have a large investment in hook and loop pads. I know I did. It was still worth it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    The biggest obstacle that people have with trying this system is that they already have a large investment in hook and loop pads. I know I did. It was still worth it.
    Exactly, my buddy had the system and was the one who told me to get it. He has a ton of hook and loop/velcro pads, and doesn`t even bother with them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Now if only I could get Aaron convinced that he needs to make 4" pads . . .
    Me TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!1
    that plus da pads with edges
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like

Both pads are already in the works!!

Post Thanks / Like

take a chill pill pal ....aaron makes his products to the highest standards and backs them up all the way ... our sponsors dont sell junk on this site ..
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Edge system for a pretty long time. The only reason I switch back to hook and loop pads is when I need the pad to fit under a tight space like a spoiler or hood scoop. The rest of the time I use the pads and adapter shown in the picture. I never had a problem with the old system and the new one performs pretty much the same for me. You could have switched the two on me and I would have never noticed.

I will say that the new pads are far better than the old ones. The old ones seemed to be too dense for what I wanted them to do. The new ones are perfect. I would recomend the Edge 2000 system to anybody who is tired of dealing with velcro backings peeling off of pads and flying off the polisher. I would also recomend them to anybody who is tired of trying to center their pad on the backing plate. It is a great system that any new user to a PC would love and any experienced user of the PC will love and appreciate.

The fear of the adapter pushing through never occured to me. In the two years or so that I have been using the system I have never once had a problem with it. I just went out and tested to see if there was any chance that I could push hard enough for the adapter to touch the paint and it simply isn`t possible. Even on the really soft white foam pad there is now way for the adapter to touch the paint. You would have to be trying pretty hard on a pointed corner in order to have it touch the paint. If you are trying that hard to bork your paint then you aren`t likely interested in using pads as well thought out and safe as the Edge2000 system. In fact, I would, without hesitation, put an Edge2000 pad on my PC and push it as hard as I could against my own car at any without fear of the adapter hitting the paint. I wouldn`t say that unless I was confident that it wouldn`t touch.

Those are just my own personal and honest opinions on the matter. I think trying to roast a man with a brilliant system like this over the imagined possibility that the adapter could do damage is just stupid. Buy the system and then make your assumptions then. One is not qualified to question somebody`s opinion of a product when one has never even used it.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d say this video answers alot of questions on safety & concerns.
    http://www.edgepads.com/video.htm
    2005 Altima 2.5S :boxing:

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a way to totally take the adaptor hitting the paint out of the picture is taking it a step further. First off, I don`t have the edge pads but am getting talked into it possibly. I hope I am qualified to make this suggestion then. Anyways, someone can take an old pad, cut a circle about 1/2" in thickness the shape of the hole and permanently glue it ontop of the adaptor for even more protection, incase of a freak accident. Just some extra protection to have so there wouldn`t be any metal to metal contact. Just an idea.

What pad is in the picture in this thread? It seems like the ones in the link are way thicker which means the adaptor would be even deeper into the pad. Could someone take a few measurements with the different pads to see how far in the adaptor is?

Edit- just watched the videos, it couldn`t get any easier with this system it looks but are they dry buffing with a rotary ???
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to Jngrbrdman`s last post. This is the voice of an experienced user his comments should be worth considering.

Budman, putting anything in the hole permanently would not allow you to flip the pad over and use the other side. I believe that`s also the answer to your thickness question too. The 2000 system (the system that you are seeing the positive comments on) uses double sided pads and they are thick. I believe they also make a single sided version which you may have been looking at.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    Anyways, someone can take an old pad, cut a circle about 1/2" in thickness the shape of the hole and permanently glue it ontop of the adaptor for even more protection, incase of a freak accident. Just some extra protection to have so there wouldn`t be any metal to metal contact. Just an idea.

The release for the adapter is on the top. If something is on the top of the adapter, you will not be able to remove the pad. I would also like to say that I`ve put a good amount of weight while polishing my A4 and had no problems with the adapter hitting the paint. The few concerns I had at that point were totally resolved.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    Amen to Jngrbrdman`s last post. This is the voice of an experienced user his comments should be worth considering.

I second that. What Jngr said is some very sound advice.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

The only pad you would even have a chance of touching the adapter to the paint is the soft white pad. Any of the other pads are too stiff for the foam to compress that much. It wouldn`t happen with the softest of the pads, so I am confident that nobody could get any of the firmer pads to compress far enough to do damage.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information