Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet sanded chip into base coat, repair options...

Quote Originally Posted by imported_JustinTRW View Post
    Would you guys recommend I just have a professional touch it up? Being metallic it obviously is not going to be perfect but the cost of a full front end does not interest me.

As you can see, there is a tiny dot where the primer came up. The flat grey part is the primer. The "streak" you see is just adhesive that I was able to remove.
    Even a good repair will probably look even worse than you imagine. Now that I`ve primed you for disappointment I`d try touching it up and giving thought to *NOT* trying to level it. See how that goes, and live with it for a while before you definitively make up your mind. And if you do decide to level it, try that by doing it chemically as opposed to mechanically/abrasively.

If that doesn`t work you`re just out some time and the cost of some touchup paint; no harm done otherwise should you decide to let a Pro try.
    Likes imported_JustinTRW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. By chemically do you mean by using paint thinner or the like? I am only really familiar with the Dr. Color chip method but I assume that this defect could be too large for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. By chemically do you mean by using paint thinner or the like? I am only really familiar with the Dr. Color chip method but I assume that this defect could be too large for that.
    For my next chip I will be using langka blob eliminator as it has the ability to level paint without using something extreme like sand paper. If you mess up, you can just start over.

My guy that fixed my problem is in canton ct. Pm me if you want his business name and can go there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was thinking Langka (AFAIK it`s a mix of lacquer thinner and something else; whatever it is, itworks better for me than straight thinner) or the DrColorchips, which I`ve used on some pretty big spots. Being metallic does complicate the whole thing, but I`ve used the DrColorchips on some pretty big issues. BTW, I use the DrColorchips paint as if it were a regular touchup paint anyhow (rather than their recommended "smear it all over" approach), and I use their solvent as if it were Langka, as that works a lot better for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information