Post Thanks / Like

3M Ultrafine EX leaving scratch pattern on Tesla Model S

I`ve had an ongoing issue attempting to make the 3M paint correction system *work*. Without giving too much information away, 99.9% of the cars I detail are a Tesla Model S, and 80-90% of them have factory paint 1-14 days old. I can make every color look perfect, after multiple alcohol wipedowns, with nothing but a rotary and 3M`s system EXCEPT the solid black paint. Reds and blues leave looking gorgeous, as do metallic blacks, but the solid black paint looks absolutely horrendous unless I do a final fourth correcting step with a Rupes 15. If I don`t follow up, the car goes out with an obvious scratch pattern and holograms. Can 3M Ultrafine EX truly finish out a SOFT brand spankin` new clear on a solid black car, leaving me with a truly defect free finish?

I should add, the Model S has a really, uh, special clear coat. To the point that we`ve had companies come in for demos trying to correct it and walked out swearing. While I don`t have hands on experience with a ton of other brands, I can`t imagine BMW Jet Black or Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl being more difficult to detail than a solid black Model S. So if anyone does have experience there, let`s pretend this is a Jet Black BMW.
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Ultrafine EX leaving scratch pattern on Tesla Model S

"Without giving too much information away" What exactly are you not wanting to give away? Im very confused.

There are a couple guys at AG who have done plenty of Tesla`s not sure if they are on Autopia or not though. Maybe try your post over there.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

How many years experience do you have with that Rotary and what is your process, pad make, type, etc.. ?

Is the 3M paint correction system you speak of new to you ? if not, how many years experience do you have using it ?

If there are "secret" things you cant tell us, what does that mean ?

I quit using isopropyl alcohol wipe downs years ago when other products came out that were more paint friendly..
    I have never liked alcohol because it can make some paintwork grabby, and if its doing that, that can never be good for the paint..

I see you are in H/B, I have family there..

Perhaps you can take a ride over to Chip Foose`s Shop and talk to those guys - last time I was in their shop they were using a 3M system with all 3M rotary machines, air and electric...
    Dan F
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quit the alcohol.
    It tends to soften some paints.
    Soft pads are prone to micro-marring... Especially at higher speeds.
    The pores fold in on themselves and trap lumps of abrasive and residue.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the secrete is that he works for a company who exclusively does teslas or works for Tesla, and he does not want hs boss to know he cannot perfect the black cars. In any case, my 2 cents as a non pro is the machine is the issue not the polish. I would use the DA as the 2nd polish step and perhaps eliminate the 3rd. The black shows everything and the heat generated or the pad not being exactly flat all contribute to the marring of this clear coat.

I had a devil of a time with my 2008 Infiniti flat black car. I feel your pain. My savior was menzerna PO85rd as the 3rd polish. I think its now called SF4500 but I am not sure. Today there are better choices as the menserna is verfy oily and with multiple ipa wipes you could re introduce maring. I would try HD Polish as the last stage polish or essence. Either on a very soft pad.

Good luck, it can be frustrating. Note to self-no black teslas or me-LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I love secret squirrel stuff. Anyway, I`d also try something more paint friendly than IPA, peephole, panel wipe, many other choices out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan on the Detail Central Forum (Australia) does a boatload of Tesla`s privately, and to an incredible standard.
    Contact him.

Post Thanks / Like

Ask Joe Torbati, aka Jsmooth he will know exactly what to use and where your going wrong.
    Likes heisenberg liked this post

Thread Information