Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars 205 + Meguiars W9207 finishig pad = clearcoat gone?

How aggresive is to use rotary with W9207 and 205 ( little bit more amount then normal) and with little pressure. It was 5-7 passes between 1200 and 1600 rpm with moving cca 3-5 centimeters pro second. Car is bmw e93 mineral white.

Is it possible to remove after each polishing with this combo more than 3-4 microns ?

I have measured yesterday paint thickness and on some spots( doors, trunk) on the lowest level (just above side skirts) it less then 95..and as i go above paint is thicker, max is 133 microns on engine hood, minimal 89.
    Doors are between 88 and 108, roof between 84 and 90, other panels are between 90 and 100..only engine hood as i said goes up to 133..

The question, how much is this aggresive? Is is possible to remove more then 3 microns with that?

The paint is like mirror but dont know is my clearcoat now too thin and with less shine then it could have because is so thin..I am even thinking on respray complete car cause clearcoat is so thin and i think, thinner clearcoat=less shine

I have polished it with this combo 4 times in 2.5 year since i bought it and two times before in BMW before i bought it..

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars 205 + Meguiars W9207 finishig pad = clearcoat gone?

I would never use that high an rpm with anything to correct..
    Its just not needed unless you are trying to hurry and correct some really bad airplane paint or something..

Only you will be able to tell how many microns you are removing, and at higher speeds, you are definitely going to remove more faster than at a slower speed, where you can watch what is happening and stop when you see you are good...

When you remove too much, the clearcoat will be gone and that spot or panel will not be glossy and shiny any longer..

It appears that your paint is already on the lower side of where it probably started new..

I have Detailed lots of BMW`s and their paint is always over 100 microns but not a whole lot over...
    I try to never remove even 1 micron if possible, and I measure all the time while working on the car...

If you say the car is already like a mirror, what are you trying to do with something can cut as much as Meguiars 205??

If you are only trying to up the gloss, why not use one of the Menzerna polishes that have very, very, little correction ability and lots of gloss enhancement..
    I have had lots of success with the old Menzerna PO85RD and PO106FA..
    Menzerna now has something even finer I believe and its called 3800..
    Good luck,
    Dan F
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars 205 + Meguiars W9207 finishig pad = clearcoat gone?

Yeah, while M205 is a Finishing Polish, it can have a surprising amount of cut depending on how it`s used.

LAF- Welcome to Autopia!

Unfortunately, it does sound like you may have taken off too much clear. No way to tell what the car went through *before* you got it, and it sounds like the hood may have been repainted.

As repaint is going to be *expensive*, but might be the only solution to the problem. With the clear that thin, it might start failing in a big way after a little exposure to UV/sunlight.

Thread Information