Post Thanks / Like

Weird Paint Problem - Lexus IS300

Recently our 2003 IS300 paint on the trunk lid has been showing a very weird problem. The clear coat seems to be intact and is smooth - this seems to be under the surface. The paint has been cared for since new, car was usually garaged, but for the last two months has been outside as my daughter has taken it to college. Currently has 3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze on it.

Any ideas of what this could be and if it is fixable (without a repaint!).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird Paint Problem - Lexus IS300

Looks like the start of clear coat failure. If that`s the case only a repaint will fix it.
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is what it looks like to me also. Or something was spoiled on it. Any other parts like that?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So far just the trunk lid and a little on the quarter panels by the trunk. Top of the car is fine. Hood was repainted this summer due to someone backing into it.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere that Toyota had paint failure issues in the past..
    Also believe from experience that this paint failure and cannot be remedied without stripping it all off and starting over...

Historically, all red paint seems to "die" faster than any other color, without any extra issues...
    If you ever look at the engine compartment of a red car the red paint in there will have become a shade of pink from the extreme heat that is inside most engine compartments after shut down..

Sorry this had to happen to you..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Toyota had paint failure issues in the past..
    Also believe from experience that this paint failure and cannot be remedied without stripping it all off and starting over...

Historically, all red paint seems to "die" faster than any other color, without any extra issues...
    If you ever look at the engine compartment of a red car the red paint in there will become a shade of pink from the extreme heat that is inside most engine compartments after shut down..

Sorry this had to happen to you..
    Dan F
    I also heard people say red paint goes the fastest. And they also say red paint is the most expensive
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota had paint problems on their red cars over here as far back as 2007,i know a guy that had to fight them on it and won,but it is a repaint.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected! Dang it. Repainting a 14-year-old car... Is it even worth it!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philliptmurphy View Post
    Well, not what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected! Dang it. Repainting a 14-year-old car... Is it even worth it!?
    To many variables to that question. What condition is the car in? Does it have any rust, how many miles, interior condition, how does it run, any sentimental value etc? Or the other options, just run it like it is, or if you are in for a real challenge you could try to paint it yourself!

And if all else fails they sell rattle cans every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s the crappy part - here`s what the trunk lid looked like in January of THIS year...

Car is in great condition. Only problem is the dash has the "melting dash" problem that Lexus had on this car in 2002 and 2003.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philliptmurphy View Post
    Philliptmurphy -

I just casually googled Lexus paint issues and found lots and lots of threads on this.. It is real and that is the reality of it..

I am further saddened to hear Lexus owners say they went back to the Dealership and the Dealership told them - it was their fault, or that there was nothing they could do... Wow ...

I also am sad to read that Lexus does not seem to get that the El Cheapo paint formula they have been using is the cause of the issue, when clearly it is..

There are many other car manufacturers that all transitioned to water-based paint probably over 10 years ago and they have had no issues - why - because they didnt cheap out on the formula to save a dang penny on the dollar, etc...

So the question to you - how bad do you want to keep that car with the paint failing and how long can you stand to look at it and deal with it???
    If you are ok with just letting it take its course, then so be it...
    If not, then you have to make plans - perhaps there are some class action lawsuits out there that other Toyota/Lexus owners have started that can help???

I even had a new Lexus IS350 but while it was very nice inside and had that Mark Levinson audio equipment, etc., I could not stand how skittish it was at speed, so I traded it after 1 year... The Silver paint on it was flawless, but that was 7 years ago so who knows what its like today...

Good luck, you will be fine whatever you do and we are here to help in any way we can..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Just went thru something similar but on a much smaller scale with a client`s car. White (chalky whitish) spots usually are indicative of cc failure. Customers car A-B-C pillar needed wet sanding, base coat plus metallic then a clearcoat re-spray to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed response. I will check with my bodyshop and see what they will charge to repaint.

Thread Information