Post Thanks / Like

1,001 times. White Chevy Paint

As indicated by the title, I know that this question (or a variation of it at least) has been asked at least 1,000 times.

I`ve got the technique down for the most part (could always get better) and I know to (and will) make sure I do as many test spots as needed to find the right combination of products. That`s not what I`m really asking for, but I am always welcome to experienced tips and tidbits.

- I currently only have Meguiar`s UC, Meguiar`s UP, and HD Speed. I`ve been happy with the Meguiar`s products so far and have yet to try the Speed.
    - I have LC flat pads. Orange, white, and black.
    - I have LC hand applicators to get the pillars and other small/tight spots that I don`t currently have a polisher to get.
    - I have Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax and Quik Wax (Plus D156.) Also Polish Angel Master Sealant I won in the giveaway and have been dying to try out.

I bought a new truck. It`s a 2005 Chevy Silverado, it`s white, and the paint is in need of some serious love. I don`t have pictures as of now, but I can say there are no major scratches (though there are some chips I need to get to sometime), it`s just pretty swirled up. I can try to get pictures if needed, but I still haven`t mastered the art of catching the swirls on camera.

Does anybody have any suggestions as far as pads or products that may make this a little easier? I plan use the Polish Angel as my LSP. I am more than willing to try out new things, and have contemplated the other HD products and also microfiber pads. Not looking for perfection, just better for the approaching winter.

Wow, that`s long winded...

So, any suggestions? Also, anyone have any tips on getting the curve/s on a dually?
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1,001 times. White Chevy Paint

I would say start your test spot with ultimate polish on white, it should clean the paint up pretty well, and if you`re happy with those results, continue into the rest of the truck with that combo. If not, try stepping up the pad to orange. If that`s still not enough, your most aggressive combo would be ultimate compound on orange. Just do a few small test spots and pick which combo works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I forgot this part, my dad had a 96 Chevy dually, the best thing I had for it was a griots 6 inch polisher with a 3 inch backing plate and 4 inch pads. That is probably my favorite tool out of my rupes and rotary. Time and patience is the only tip I have for duallys.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try HD Speed on a LC white or orange pad. It`s pretty impressive for an AIO. You can always top with HD Proxy. It`s a great combo.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Last Chevy Silverado I did was a 2001 Z71. The paint was super soft and easy to work with. This was done with FG400 and a blue HD pad on a 21es to get the desired correction. I would start off with some HD Speed and see how it does. If you aren`t getting enough correction then step it up to Ultimate Polish.

Untitled by Scott Thomasino, Jr., on Flickr
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

I have did a number of white vehicles using Ultimate Compound and the orange pads. 90% of them have looked great with just this one step. Try a test spot. You may not even need to finish with UP.

If the paint is pretty much defect free its hard to beat Duragloss 501. It deep cleans white better than anything else I have found.

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is pretty much defect free its hard to beat Duragloss 501. It deep cleans white better than anything else I have found.
    I agree 100% DG501 is fantastic on white. It`s an amazing paint cleaner. You will be shocked at what it can pull from the paint.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody seems to agree so it looks like I`ll be using what I have. I may try the Duragloss 501 in the future but the paint is in need of correction right now.

Still have a couple weeks... too much painting going on at my brother`s new house. Why did I volunteer to help again?

Thanks everyone.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Post Thanks / Like

XxBoostinxX- Interesting that the Silverado you did was so soft, mine of that era were hard as a rock, about as hard as my Audis.

RDKC- Be prepared for it to be harder than expected. If that`s the case, noting that it`s easy for me to spend your money you might consider M101, which I`m finding to be a *huge* time-saver when correcting hard clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    XxBoostinxX- Interesting that the Silverado you did was so soft, mine of that era were hard as a rock, about as hard as my Audis.

RDKC- Be prepared for it to be harder than expected. If that`s the case, noting that it`s easy for me to spend your money you might consider M101, which I`m finding to be a *huge* time-saver when correcting hard clear.
    It`s always easy to spend somebody else`s money.

I have always heard the same about it being hard paint and am expecting it to be a slight pain. We`ll just have to see how it goes, maybe I`ll go out and do a test spot sometime this week to see if I`ll "need" to get something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Really? That is crazy how it varies. The truck was a breeze compared to the Audi S7 and A7 I polished.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Thread Information