Post Thanks / Like

Now... In search of pads.

Still don`t have a Polisher yet, but I want to start looking for what I want when I do get one.

The only pads I have really looked at are The Edge. They look good, but the only thing that scares me is the hole in the middle where they connect to the polisher.

Are there pads out there without the hole? I`m going to be a beginner, and was looking for a good full-coverage pad so I don`t risk scratching or gouging the paint.
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    4.7L PowerTech H.O. V8
    Borla Catback
    Infinity Gold Sound System/10 Disc Changer
    XM Radio

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Now... In search of pads.

Just posted this in your other thread. I just bought a PC and looked everywhere, here`s the best deal I found:

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/portercablekit.html

Kit includes:
    Porter Cable 7424
    5 Inch Backing Plate
    1-4 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad (bonus offer)
    1-6.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
    2-6.5 Inch White Polishing Pads
    2-6.5 Inch Gray Finishing Pad
    2 Cobra Microfiber Towels
    1 packet of Snappy Clean

Total cost after DC coupon code (detailcity) was just under $180, free shipping.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the hole in the center of the pad, I have never really worried about it scratching anything, because the foam is thick enough so that the paint will only contact the foam and won`t get to the center part or anything else. Some polish might get in the hole in the center but it really isn`t any real risk as far as I know. I used to use the original edge pads that were like velcro and they were solid and when I switched I never even worried about that center hole. Edge 2000 have been good for me so far (still in the mearning curve though)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01WJLimited
    Still don`t have a Polisher yet, but I want to start looking for what I want when I do get one.

The only pads I have really looked at are The Edge. They look good, but the only thing that scares me is the hole in the middle where they connect to the polisher.

Are there pads out there without the hole? I`m going to be a beginner, and was looking for a good full-coverage pad so I don`t risk scratching or gouging the paint.
    I realize that the Edge 2000 system seems odd at first and you`ll wonder if you could damage your car with it. I`ll I can tell you is that once you hold it in your hand your worries will be gone. I`m sold on this system and don`t see myself buying hook and loop backing plate and pads any more. I would highly recommend this system.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up the Deluxe LC Pad kit and couldn`t be happier with the results. I almost bought the Edge Kit, but it came down to cost.
    2005 Altima 2.5S :boxing:

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note. There is no way you are going to hit the paint from the hole in the Edge2000 pads. We have sold literally hundreds of thousands of them and never had a stirke. The reason is, the adapter also has a shoulder that prevents it from going any further into the disc, we recess the adapter below the plastic disc that houses the adapter. The plastic plate is covered with buffing material whether it be foam or wool. This can be seen on our video on the website and I have also attached a pic of it here. Keep in mind, the first time the adatper would hit the paint and scratch a car would be the last time we sold a pad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    I realize that the Edge 2000 system seems odd at first and you`ll wonder if you could damage your car with it. I`ll I can tell you is that once you hold it in your hand your worries will be gone. I`m sold on this system and don`t see myself buying hook and loop backing plate and pads any more. I would highly recommend this system.

But what if I apply Pressure? Won`t the foam give and will the connector in the middle dig into the paint? Just seeing that hole in the middle scares me.
    4.7L PowerTech H.O. V8
    Borla Catback
    XM Radio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    Just a note. There is no way you are going to hit the paint from the hole in the Edge2000 pads. We have sold literally hundreds of thousands of them and never had a stirke. The reason is, the adapter also has a shoulder that prevents it from going any further into the disc, we recess the adapter below the plastic disc that houses the adapter. The plastic plate is covered with buffing material whether it be foam or wool. This can be seen on our video on the website and I have also attached a pic of it here. Keep in mind, the first time the adatper would hit the paint and scratch a car would be the last time we sold a pad!
    Thanks for the reassurance, and I do like the look of your system compared to a few other`s I`ve seen. I`m sure I`ll be checking in when I finally do buy a polisher.
    4.7L PowerTech H.O. V8
    Borla Catback
    XM Radio

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to call me with any questions regarding the system. I am sure I can alleviate any fears you have. In fact this system is the safest system on the market since we have no exposed backing plate to hit against the car and our glue is recessed inside the pad as well. Its also perfectly centered which makes the machine run smoother and last longer.

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else with questions or concerns about the system.

Best regards,

Aaron Krause (President & CEO)
    777 Henderson Blvd.
    Suites # 1 & 2
    Folcroft, PA 19032
    ---------------------------------------
     Phone: (610) 583-4883
     Fax: (610) 583-4885
     Email: aaron@dedicationtodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01WJLimited
    But what if I apply Pressure? Won`t the foam give and will the connector in the middle dig into the paint? Just seeing that hole in the middle scares me.
    Nope, the pad is just too thick.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

That is true as well. Even though the foam compresses, it does not go down into absolutly nothing, there still is some material and space left which is your protection against hitting the plastic, but the metal is even below the plastic so the metal will never hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420
    I just picked up the Deluxe LC Pad kit and couldn`t be happier with the results. I almost bought the Edge Kit, but it came down to cost.
    Just curious if you see that two LC pads cost more than One Edge2000 pad this is double sided (two pads)? Also our adapter which is cheaper than most backing plates is guaranteed for life so you will never spend money on another backing plate. In terms of costs our pads make alot of economic sense.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    Just curious if you see that two LC pads cost more than One Edge2000 pad this is double sided (two pads)? Also our adapter which is cheaper than most backing plates is guaranteed for life so you will never spend money on another backing plate. In terms of costs our pads make alot of economic sense.

Yep.....I love the EDGE pads.....I will be picking up another set for my PC and 2 sets for the rotary(when I get a rotary)..... I used the pads on a rotary at the dealership I used to work at. Got them through our supplier.... Couldn`t be happier.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help and reassurance, all.
    4.7L PowerTech H.O. V8
    Borla Catback
    XM Radio

Thread Information