Post Thanks / Like

In-law`s car dent repair

My in-law`s car got side swiped on the rear passenger side door. They got it fixed by some mobile dent repair guy who used suction cups to pull the dent out (I wasn`t there to see it) and apparently used some sort of white product I guess to aid in the process. He told my in-laws that it`ll come off with some water.

I went there to check out the car as they were saying it was difficult to remove the white product. With some elbow grease it did come off but I also noticed color was coming off too ( grey, the color of the car) and the finish of the door was not smooth any more. It was rough. It was as if there was no clear coat on it. I tried taking some pics but you can`t really see the issue.

I was thinking of trying to buff it with a DA, green pad, and swirl remover to see if that`d work but have second thoughts since just rubbing the door while cleaning it color came off.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

tia

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In-law`s car dent repair

Sounds like you don`t have much to lose. I don`t know what swirl remover you have but I would try a LC white with some Menz 4000 and see what happens. Then go to something a little more potent and check the white pad to see if you are getting any of the car color or if there is still clear on the car. I think there should be some clear still there. Good luck!
    Thanks TCC13 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have some poorboys ssr 1 and 2.5. I also have chemical guys v36. Would these work? I`d hate to grab the 4000 if I`m not going to be using it much or is it a good addition to my collection ?

Also IF paint/color does come off onto the pad, is my pad toast if I can`t remove it?

Post Thanks / Like

Clay + apc+ bug squash

then if needed try the ssr 2.5
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes TCC13 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ronkh but may I ask why no polishing required, only if needed?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, we need to know what year, make, model, and color of the car, ok ?
    If it is an older car with single stage paint, it will always come off when its polished, etc..
    If its a newer car and the paint is coming off where the mobile detailer did his work, you need to call him back..
    Why in the heck didnt he remove his white stuff or whatever it was in the first place ??
    I have used real professional mobile PDR guys in the past, in my Detailing business, and none have ever, ever, put anything on the panel to help them do the job..
    They use their own single tube or 2 tube small light bent as an angle to help them see the dent better, but that is it..
    Sounds like the mobile detailer guy might owe your In Laws some money to fix the mess he made and left..
    Sorry this had to happen to them..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it`s a 2012 Toyota Corolla LE, grey color.

It was not a mobile detailer who fixed the dent, it was a mobile auto repair guy who "specialized" in repairing dents.

Not sure why he left that crap on the car. He told my in-laws that it`d easily come off with water. Maybe he did that so they`d call him back to take it off and charge them again.....who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Clay + apc+ bug squash

then if needed try the ssr 2.5
    Finally got some time, albeit short, to work on this.

Did a quick rinse with a pre-soak on the lower part of the car with 1Z einszett Bug and Sap Remover (had some left over and it was filthy).

Broke out the clay and started on the problem area. It took some of the residue/crap off and color (as expected from my initial post) but all in all wasn`t that effective.

Grabbed my Optimum APC and liberally sprayed the area and let it dwell for a minute or two. Took a MF towel and went over it with some pressure and it finally came off. Repeated it.

Now all that white crap is mostly gone, the finish is still dull/matte looking. I didn`t get a chance to hit it with a DA and some swirl remover due to time but I`m afraid and certain that color is going to come off and screw up my pad(s).

Thread Information