Post Thanks / Like

Using a paint cleaner/GEP

I am planning to coat my car in the fall, so I don`t want to polish it this spring, but rather just use BFGEP and seal with BFWD and BFCS.

I`ll go through my typical regimen of decon, but I usually get some marring with clay on my soft black Honda paint.

My question is whether GEP will remove/fill any light marring from clay? Thanks in advance for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a paint cleaner/GEP

It should polish, not fill

if it filled, the coating polish or prep such as bf coating prep, eraser, dp coating polish would remove it
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    It should polish, not fill

if it filled, the coating polish or prep such as bf coating prep, eraser, dp coating polish would remove it
    Actually, I want it to fill (GEP is a non-abrasive polish with built-in "glaze"). And this is for my spring detail, not the fall detail when I plan to coat it. Since I plan to coat it in the fall, I figure why remove any more clearcoat this spring and rather just get it looking nice and protected to tide me over. I would be topping the BFGEP with BFWD and I believe the WD will go on right on top of the GEP (per the GEP product page). You wouldn`t want to use an IPA or anything like that as it would probably remove the "glaze" of the GEP.

Sorry if my post wasn`t clear on all this. Basically, just curious if anyone has experience with GEP taking care of any light clay marring.

Post Thanks / Like

nope. you were clear. my reading skills are lacking

i`ll shut up and go back to my corner
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve, wdmaccord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never had any problems with gep removing light marring, but then again I use white pads to apply it. I would just make sure to use a fine grade clay and very good clay lube to begin with. unless you know the clear is very thin, I would just use bftpns (it has a very light polish) and follow up with bfwd. just don`t bear down as you polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was planning to use a white pad. Plenty of clear...it`s only been compounded once (when new in 2014) and a few polishing sessions since then (M205, SF4500, etc). I use Pinnacle Ultra Poly, so probably one of the least aggressive clays out there.

I`ll likely hit it with PF2500 and SF4500 before I coat it. That`s why I am thinking it makes sense to just GEP it for now and not remove any more clear just to get it to fall.

And BTW, I`m done with TPnS. Haha. Man that stuff is just sticky. I`ve got maybe 3-4 oz. left and guessing it will go bad before I ever use it again. If I ever try an AIO again, it will likely be Uber AIO or the Menzerna 3in1.
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

good move. I like gep and have used it many times with very good results, especially with bfwd afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`ll give it a go in the next few weeks and see how it comes out. Thanks guys!

And it seems with GEP, what, maybe 3 quick passes with the white pad and 4-4.5 on the GG6? Minimal downward pressure...maybe a little more than when applying a sealant though?

Post Thanks / Like

BF GHP *is* supposed to do some concealing, but IME it doesn`t hide much. Can`t say I ever got any correction out of it.

I *do* like it as a prep product for satin/matte finished black metal bits. Even worked suprisingly well on some black brake drums that had a fair bit of surface rust on them.

Thread Information