Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Issue???

Post Thanks / Like

PC Issue???

hey all,
    I have an issue with my PC. It doesn`t seem to be spinning very much. When I polish (using SSR1 or 2 along with Edge regular blue and green and also with Edge 2000 blue and green pads) I notice that it seems to be wobbling (for lack of better word) fine since the counterweight is rotating, but the pad itself often seems to not spin around much. It is kind of hard to explain but I hope that made sense. I noticed that when I stop the PC, as it slows down the "jiggling", I can see that the pad itself is not spinning. Off of the car is spins just fine, but seems to quickly slow down or stop spinning when I start to polish. I am using barely any pressure and I checked to make sure everything was tight and the connection was good. I used plenty of polish and it didn`t seem to bog down or bounce around on me. It seems like it still polished pretty good, but it kind of worried me. I was polishing a car with a good finish, so it worked good enough, but I thought that if I really needed to polish a neglected finish it might not work. I have only had the PC about 2 years and have used it for only 4 full car polishes, and I don`t remember noticing this problem before. So I am wondering if my PC is going bad or if there is some adjustment that needs to be done, or if that is simply normal? Thanks for any help, I hope this made sense.

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Issue???

I use a PC all the time.

If the pad spins freely while the machine is off and also if you turn the machine on and can take your hand and turn the pad freely while it is orbiting, then there is no problem at all.

If for some reason you cannot spin the pad and it feels stuck, then you would have a problem.
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the response. I was kinda thinking it may be normal but I didn`t want to polish if it was not working correctly. Another reason that I wondered about it was that when I use my hook & loop backing plate with the older Edge pads it seems to get really hot on the backside of the pad and sometimes the glue on the back of the pad gets messed up and the white velcro part of the pad gets worn and misshapen...not sure why the heat would build up there too much. With Edge 2000 pads I dont have any heat issues though.

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What speed setting did you have the PC on when it got hot before?
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

I was using it on our older Jeep, mainly speed 4 or 5, but sometimes I would go up to 6 to fix some tough areas, which may have been too much and caused the heat. I thought that a good amount of people used the PC at 5 or 6 consistently, but maybe not. I found that 3 and mostly 4 works well for my car`s finish. What do u recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t go below 5 or 5.5 while polishing paint out. If the pad isn`t spinning on the paint, I think you are pushing and applying too much pressure. Try to let the PC be the only weight on the surface, no pressure. If that still doesn`t work, I guess that there may be an internal issue of sometype. As for the Edge BP, I think that Edge `recalled` some backing plates a few years ago because of this issue. You can contact them in their part of this forum or by e-mail and let them know of your issues. Hope this helps a little.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I have the PC under 5 is when spreading the product. I then kick it up and polish away. As Budman stated, make sure your not putting weight on the machine while polishing.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I didn`t feel like I was putting much weight on the machine, but I guess I most likely was. Especially when I got to some parts where I knew I had to polish more, I used a stronger polish but probably also (subconsciously) pushed down a little bit. So I should be better off with your suggestion of simply letting the weight of the machine do all the work and I will just guide it....speaking of guiding, thanks for the guidance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAce
    speaking of guiding, thanks for the guidance!
    Haha! You`re welcome, thats why DC is here- to help eachother out
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    I don`t go below 5 or 5.5 while polishing paint out. If the pad isn`t spinning on the paint, I think you are pushing and applying too much pressure. Try to let the PC be the only weight on the surface, no pressure. If that still doesn`t work, I guess that there may be an internal issue of sometype.
    I agree. If the pad is not spinning it`s because you`re pushing down on the machine. I too polish at 5/5.5

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Holding the pad flat against the surface will also help it spin more freely. I`ve noticed that even at a slight angle, the pad stops spinning or greatly slows down.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same problem. I use edge 2000 foam pads. The weight of the DA will cause it to stop spinning.... I don`t have to put any pressure on it. It spins great off of the car.... I did notice that I there is a difference if it`s not held perfectly flat. I suppose I need to try again.

rebmeM roinuJ
    Post Thanks / Like

This really isn`t a problem and is nothing to be concerned about. Since the pad doesn`t spin "under load" it just means that friction is not allowing it to spin.

The "spinning" isn`t what does the work it is the high-velocity orbiting that does the job.
    If you would just listen to me, other people won`t think you are as stupid as you really are.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so even though it`s not visible spinning there is still orbiting going on? I was hoping that was the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    Holding the pad flat against the surface will also help it spin more freely. I`ve noticed that even at a slight angle, the pad stops spinning or greatly slows down.
    I found this to be true this past weekend. No pressure and keeping the pad flat gave me the best results. If I applied pressure or tilted the pad it wasn`t spinning as well. Tilting help a little when working a particular flaw.
    2005 Altima 2.5S :boxing:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information