Post Thanks / Like

BMW correction help

Okay so the other day I received a HF da polisher and decided to do a test spot with it on my 2003 BMW 325i. I used m105 on a orange flat ccs pad then followed by m205 on a white flat ccs pad, everything looked great until I did an IPA wipe down and held my light at a certain angle and had micro marring in my paint: 2003 BMW 325i - Album on Imgur

I dont know if it`s my technique or that paint is to hard or soft but i`d like some advice because this really bothers me. With m105 I used a speed of 5 and m205 I used a speed of 4. I`m not sure what the color code is or where to find it, I just know it`s a dark metallic blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW correction help

It`s hard to tell from that picture. What kind of towel did you use for wipe off? Is it possible that was existing wash marring that you didn`t remove with your polishing? Tell us about the pressure and arm speed you used with the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may need to polish longer,105 is a very aggressive compound, it probably was the source.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Meguiars microfiber to wipe off the IPA and an autozone to wipe off the polish but I wouldnt imagine those microfibers could be that bad, and i`m pretty sure its not cause I did a few test spots. I used enough pressure to make it spin slowly but not to slow so maybe 8 pounds of pressure? and slow arm speed to do a 16 by 16 spot it took about 30 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll attempt that and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, this has nothing to do with the towel - but the polish you choose and the technique. Megs 105 is a professional polish - probably best used by experienced professionals. Dunno if you are a professional or not. But, it can leave some micro marring - as it cuts fast and strong.

I can pretty much guarantee you you can use any Wolfgang polish with a decent technique and finish without any micro-marring on BMW factory paint. This is assuming you are using the right pads, # of passes, etc....

I kind of break these products down to 3 groups:

1. Professional products - for the experienced.

2. Boutique products - cost more, but ease of use is higher.

3. Retail products - dumbed down for the masses.

Not saying you can`t mix and match, or all retail products suck - but with polishes your likely better off with boutique products, as these are the best bang for your buck - because they offer the best ease of use and most impact on the outcome of your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright that helps! I`m not a pro and I just did a test spot with only 205 on a with polishing pad and it worked pretty well. I have some other products I will probably get I found from a company called Shine Supply who has a very good reputation. I also plan to get microfiber cutting pads from carpro, unless those also require professional skill then i`ll just stick with my current pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are located. If your near someone a few minutes of hands on will go a long way. Do you hVe a bathroom scale? If so take your da w a pad and Press the scale until you see 15 lbs. that`s how much pressure you need to apply. Next arm speed. I go north south east and west in a 1 foot box 2-3 times or until polish clears. If you get splatter your using too much polish.

Those are the best pointers I can give you with the info I have.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoyd96 View Post
    Okay so the other day I received a HF da polisher and decided to do a test spot with it on my 2003 BMW 325i. I used m105 on a orange flat ccs pad then followed by m205 on a white flat ccs pad, everything looked great until I did an IPA wipe down and held my light at a certain angle and had micro marring in my paint: 2003 BMW 325i - Album on Imgur

I dont know if it`s my technique or that paint is to hard or soft but i`d like some advice because this really bothers me. With m105 I used a speed of 5 and m205 I used a speed of 4. I`m not sure what the color code is or where to find it, I just know it`s a dark metallic blue.
    I think the M205 is the issue. I`ve seen it fill way too many times for my liking. M105 on the other hand is excellent. I`d try either some alternate pads or skip to another finishing polish.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright sounds good, my plan as stated above was to get a different brand of polish and compound. The m105 for my case was actually leaving marring, which I assume is supposed to happen. The m205 cleared it up a little however when I tried only m205 on a spot it cleared up most of the marring so maybe for me its just the m105?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, M105 will leave marring when used with a foam cutting pad. That`s very typical, but this marring is pretty faint and not all that difficult to remove if you use the correct finishing polish/pad after. The biggest thing you can do to have M105 finish is to constantly spur/clean/brush out your pad and don`t overwork the product. I`d also prime the entire face of your pad too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

M105 does have a slight learning curve. I would not have started out using that if this is your first go at polishing. Try shrinking your work area and cleaning your pad frequently. As stated M105 does it`s work fast so if you over work it, it will dust on you. You also don`t want to be dry buffing. M105 can cause DA haze and micro marring. You might also want to try using a few more passes with M205 on your polishing pad and see if that clears up the hazing. It could be that your car has soft paint. If it is soft you may want to try M205 on a foam finishing pad.

I would have recommended you start with ultimate compound and ultimate polish to get your technique down and move on from their once you get that down.

I read your other comment about getting microfiber pads? That`s pretty aggressive when using it with a compound. Do you really need to get that aggressive?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t actually the paint itself isn`t to horrible. I didn`t know they were aggressive so i`ll stick with my foam pads. I`ll try the m205 on a finishing pad tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Thread Information