Post Thanks / Like

2017 Ford F150 in White Platinum

Gonna be doing a light polish/coating on one of these with a co-worker next week. If anyone has ever worked on this color/model, anything special? Nothing I could find anywhere indicated the Platinum White is single stage and with the body panels being aluminum, obviously a bit more, uh...flexible so care must be taken. Any other quirks?

Thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Ford F150 in White Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Gonna be doing a light polish/coating on one of these with a co-worker next week. If anyone has ever worked on this color/model, anything special? Nothing I could find anywhere indicated the Platinum White is single stage and with the body panels being aluminum, obviously a bit more, uh...flexible so care must be taken. Any other quirks?

Thanx
    I have a 2016 F150 Platinum and a 2015 Edge Titanium both with Platinum White paint. It`s a tri-coat paint with the exception of door jambs and under the hood. You don`t need to do anything special with it. It`s actually a pretty easy color to make look nice. I`ve used the Griot`s Boss polishes on it. I posted some pictures somewhere on the site and showed this paint up close under the sunlight. It has so much flake in it that the pics almost looked silver. Polish Angel gold thumb wax (Gold Zircon) looks very interesting on it, more flake not quite as white.

Poorboys Pure Sealant and BlackFire Crystal Seal are a couple of my favorites on it. I can honestly say that I haven`t used anything that looked bad on it and I`ve tried a ton of different products. My daughter has a 2016 Escape with the same paint and because she parks outside with trees near we used some FK1000 on it. I`ve found this sealant works well with bird, bug and tree droppings. It was was probably my least favorite when it comes to overall looks. Just doesn`t have the pop some of the other sealants have when it comes to white. Kamakaze Top Coat, Geyon Wet Coat and McKee`s HydroBlue are all no brainers for the no effort crowd that look great on it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I have a 2016 F150 Platinum and a 2015 Edge Titanium both with Platinum White paint. It`s a tri-coat paint with the exception of door jambs and under the hood. You don`t need to do anything special with it. It`s actually a pretty easy color to make look nice.
    Good deal, thanks for the info.

This one will be getting Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster. Offered up 22ple HPC, big gloss woulda looked good on it methinks.

Also pondered Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1 but it`s gonna be a daily driver that will get some, but not OCD-ish attention. Kami combo has held up beautifully on our daily drivers, one of which just passed it`s one year anniversary; great stuff with reasonable but not fanatical attention.

Mohs has proven a good choice for me in those situations...pretty stout stiff. Adding the Booster because it`s so fun to use and great water behavior.

Thanks again for the Ford paint info; can never be to careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I green on some things here folks but am I under the impression that new for trucks are single stage paint jobs? They don`t have a separate final clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I green on some things here folks but am I under the impression that new for trucks are single stage paint jobs? They don`t have a separate final clear coat?
    I can guarantee the 2015’s and the 2016’s are a Tri-Coat paint. I have them, it’s quite obvious to see when looking at the under hood being a bright white single stage. In all honesty, I can not speak to the 2017 model year as I haven’t layed my hands on one yet. That said, I believe that both the Platinum White and Ruby Red are still Tri-Coat paints on the F150’s. They command a premium of $595 when building the truck online even on the 2017 model year. The rest of the colors are a no charge option. My understanding all along was the paid options were for Tri-Coat colors. The touch up paint also has a disclaimer on it discussing an out for them, as the touch up is a single stage product and it’s tough to match a Tri-Coat paint with a single stage paint. Anyway... if you know more than this I’d be interested in learning about it. I hate to be spouting information if I’m wrong.

Edit: Just looked on their site under the Exterior Gallery page. They have pictures of a 2018 King Ranch, it definitely says that White Platinum is a Tri Coat. It won’t let me copy their text but it definitely says it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes re-tired liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

White platinum is definitely tri coat and ruby red is tinted clear. My focus used to pull up red pigment on white pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Thread Information