Wax On, Wax Off ~Mr.Miagi Detailnewb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on 7424

I found the following information over on Roadfly...

Note that most buffing pads are 6" in diameter, and thus, your PC should have a 6" counterweight. Some will argue that the 5" counterweight is fine for 6" pad use, however, I have found that to be untrue. The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5" weight and a 6" pad are nearly unacceptable. Further, while speaking to a representative for PC, I learned that the increased vibrations can lead to bearing damage within the PC`s drive assembly. Do yourself a favor and use the right counterweight for the job.

I guess I was under the impression that you needed to match the counterweight to the backing plate, not the polishing pad. I was under the impression also from other sources that the 5" counterweight will work with a 5 or 6 inch backing plate... What`s the truth Ruth?

[Edit] Another question - can I use it to apply wax to my truck (fully washed and dried) without going through the entire detailing of clay/polish/seal/wax? Or should it only be used on surfaces that have been through a full detail (at some point prior to this wax)?
    ----------------------------------
    Neophyte Detailer
    Black 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 SCREW

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on 7424

I Agree with everything you stated. I used a 5" BP with LC 6".5" pads,imo the BP was insufficient for the pads causing the pads to fail sooner.

I 2nd your theory about the extra load uo the bearings and this is what i beleive caused my PC to sound like a bunch of rocks in a tin can on a 4 month old PC...

The 5" BP is actualy around 4 3/4 and dosen`t fit well in a 6".5" pad. I think the PC manufactor does state to use a 6" BP if your pad are 6 to 7.5" pads, also upgrade the Counter Weight to a 6" to lessen the vibrations and also to prevent the bearing`s from going...My .2 c

Thread Information