Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spot Buffs Kit - WARNING!!

Personally, I think PBMA simply sends LC a file with their logo and LC packages the whole deal and adds the logo for them. It`s not an uncommon practice.

Also, people continually seem to feel that it was user error because I should have known to tighten the pieces with a wrench. This is a load of . Do any of you use a wrench to tighten other BPs to your PC???? I sure know I just use the inlcuded wrench to hold the nut in place while I hand tighten the BP. I did the same with this kit. Other BPs have never spun off. So, why would I assume this one should be any different???

Also, I`ve posted this thread on many, many websites and am continually searching for more places and methods to share my story. I`m irrate. I would take them to small claims court, but after filing fees, etc. I`m sure I wouldn`t be getting the money I deserve. So, instead I`ve taken my case to the court of public opinion.

I`m also quite insulted by those who have posted that I may be doing this to get LC to pay for a repaint I would have done anyway. I can assure you my hood was flawless before the "Spot Buffs incident." I had some light marring that I was trying to remove at the time and that was it. Please don`t put me in the same boat as that lady who put a finger in her Wendy`s chili.

IMO there were only two possible problems here:

1. LC is negligent for not including proper instructions in the kit indicating the necessity of a wrench. Yes I blame LC and not PBMA because I believe LC packages the kit.

2. I am the victim of a manufacturing variance. LC testing another kit would yield different results because manufacturing variances rarely show up in a significant manner on a significant number of the manufactured parts. It`s even possible that it was the washer that failed. However, it flew off and I`m not going to get on my hands and knees looking for this teeny tiny thing in my 2+ car garage.

Personally, I felt LC`s investigation was very superficial and to this point no one knows what the actual cause of the incident was. I can tell you this was an opportunity for LC to get some great PR and to gain a lifetime customer. It was also an opportunity for them to learn more about their product and to improve it. Instead, they fell on their face with their superficial investigation and insulted me with the insinuation that I am so mentally challenged that I am incapable of screwing two pieces together with any modicum of tightness.

To those of you who have had positive customer service interactions with LC, I am very happy to hear that. Every one of your stories however has been about replacing a pad which probably costs them $0.50 to manufacture. I`m sure someone asking for damage re-imbursement in the amount of $540 is treated differently.

One last thing. A lot of people seem to have the impression that my thread is intended to state that all LC products are garbage. This is not the case. I have many, many 6.5" LC pads and other backing plates with fixed screw posts which function perfectly fine. My only statement here is that the BP/adapter I have from the spot buffs kit is either defective or I was not properly instructed on its use. However, I`m certainly not buying any additional products from a company that doesn`t do a better job of customer service than this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Please don`t put me in the same boat as that lady who put a finger in her Wendy`s chili.
    Nobody is. But when you post it all over the Internet as you`re trying to do in your one man rage, out the many hundreds of folks who read it, a handful of pinheads may get that idea if you reported that LC footed the bill for your screw up.

If the kit had PBMA logos on it, then deal with them. They`re the ones re-badging that product with their good name on it. They should re-paint your car!

Post Thanks / Like

hey mike. instead spending 500 dollars why not spot paint & then wet sand & polish. :yes:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Sunset
    hey mike. instead spending 500 dollars why not spot paint & then wet sand & polish. :yes:
    Or have GSRstilez perform his "shovel on the hood" corrective work done on that Acura!

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mikeyc]Personally, I think PBMA simply sends LC a file with their logo and LC packages the whole deal and adds the logo for them. It`s not an uncommon practice.[/QUOTE}

Thinking and knowing for sure are totally different things.

Also, people continually seem to feel that it was user error because I should have known to tighten the pieces with a wrench. This is a load of . Do any of you use a wrench to tighten other BPs to your PC???? I sure know I just use the inlcuded wrench to hold the nut in place while I hand tighten the BP. I did the same with this kit. Other BPs have never spun off. So, why would I assume this one should be any different???
    So you do admit that you use a wrench to hold the nut in place on the PC while using a traditional backing plate setup but that you did not see the need to secure the backing plate to the adapter? Why would you assume that this concept would be any different? The key word here is assume. You should not have assumed anything since you do not take polishing your paint lightly.

Also, I`ve posted this thread on many, many websites and am continually searching for more places and methods to share my story. I`m irrate. I would take them to small claims court, but after filing fees, etc. I`m sure I wouldn`t be getting the money I deserve. So, instead I`ve taken my case to the court of public opinion.
    You`d lose your case in front of a reasonable judge.

[QUOTE=Mikeyc]I`m also quite insulted by those who have posted that I may be doing this to get LC to pay for a repaint I would have done anyway. I can assure you my hood was flawless before the "Spot Buffs incident." I had some light marring that I was trying to remove at the time and that was it. Please don`t put me in the same boat as that lady who put a finger in her Wendy`s chili.

IMO there were only two possible problems here:

1. LC is negligent for not including proper instructions in the kit indicating the necessity of a wrench. Yes I blame LC and not PBMA because I believe LC packages the kit.[/QUOTE}

Are you assuming this or do you know it as fact?

2. I am the victim of a manufacturing variance. LC testing another kit would yield different results because manufacturing variances rarely show up in a significant manner on a significant number of the manufactured parts. It`s even possible that it was the washer that failed. However, it flew off and I`m not going to get on my hands and knees looking for this teeny tiny thing in my 2+ car garage.
    Since you do not have it and do not want to locate it, you have not proven that you installed it in the first place.

Personally, I felt LC`s investigation was very superficial and to this point no one knows what the actual cause of the incident was. I can tell you this was an opportunity for LC to get some great PR and to gain a lifetime customer. It was also an opportunity for them to learn more about their product and to improve it. Instead, they fell on their face with their superficial investigation and insulted me with the insinuation that I am so mentally challenged that I am incapable of screwing two pieces together with any modicum of tightness.
    Well, you weren`t all that capable of finding the washer so why should we think that you tightened the parts properly?

To those of you who have had positive customer service interactions with LC, I am very happy to hear that. Every one of your stories however has been about replacing a pad which probably costs them $0.50 to manufacture. I`m sure someone asking for damage re-imbursement in the amount of $540 is treated differently.
    There is a risk of damage everytime someone uses a power tool around a paint finish. It is up to the end user to ensure that all precautions are taken. Sorry about the damage. I`m sure your hurting for money and I hope you find a job soon.

One last thing. A lot of people seem to have the impression that my thread is intended to state that all LC products are garbage. This is not the case. I have many, many 6.5" LC pads and other backing plates with fixed screw posts which function perfectly fine. My only statement here is that the BP/adapter I have from the spot buffs kit is either defective or I was not properly instructed on its use. However, I`m certainly not buying any additional products from a company that doesn`t do a better job of customer service than this.
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leyland
    Well, you weren`t all that capable of finding the washer so why should we think that you tightened the parts properly?
    Are you f-in` serious?!?!?!? What on earth do you want me to do comb my garage with a magnifying glass trying to find this tiny little washer which for all I know could have broken into pieces?!?!?!

All I know is that LC`s investigation was cursory at best. The only thing it proves is that they were able to successfully use another copy of the pad kit in their own offices. Congratulations.

Yes, I do use the wrench that came with the PC to attach my BPs. I hold the nut in place with the wrench, grip the BP, and turn with the hand holding the BP. I used the exact same procedure with the SB kit. Gripping the BP and the wrench should have tightened both screw joints.

Also, please people this is a website for logical discussion. Not assinine, sarcastic comments about linking one`s ability to find a washer in a couple hundred square feet of cluttered garage and the ability to turn a screw.

Post Thanks / Like

You know...if you sell an item, even re-selling, to the consuming public one should have liability insurance and if you sell in Wal-Mart / K-Mart / AutoZone it is required. So technically PBMA is passing the buck and not bucking up....probably because they are to busy repackaging other people`s products.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, please people this is a website for logical discussion.
    As well as not a place to continue to whine and moan like petulant, little school girl. It`s enough that this thread is beat on like a nerd in middle school over at Autopia, but here too?

But, Leyland has been quite logical.

Go complain to the site sponsor Autogeek. It was their marketing all over your kit, not Lake Country. Nowhere is LC mentioned on Autogeek`s site when it comes to this product. You say they`re "awesome" simply because they forwarded (passed the buck) to LC?!

My keyboard went out on my new Dell. You know who replaced it? Dell! Why? Because #1 they sold it to me and #2 they didn`t pass it off the manufacturer of the keyboard (which is not Dell).

Post Thanks / Like

Mikeyc: I feel you. * i think that LeyLand is flaming you knowing that you were a victim of a bad product. leyland SHAME on you ! :chair: This is no place for a Pseudo Lawyer.

Post Thanks / Like

MikeyC has had something unfortunate occur.
    He voiced his problem, and he feels that his problem wasn`t resolved to his satisfaction.

What I am asking is instead of name calling, be a bit understanding.
    I`m sure that any of us here would be upset if this happened to their car.

I am not taking anyones side, all I am asking is that we can maintain a peaceful dicussion

Thank You,
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPinky
    As well as not a place to continue to whine and moan like petulant, little school girl. It`s enough that this thread is beat on like a nerd in middle school over at Autopia, but here too?

But, Leyland has been quite logical.
    Seriously, I am dumb founded by your post. If you don`t like a thread then don`t read it. It`s as simple as that. Don`t try to censor me, because your not interested in what I`m saying. The thread only continues to grow because people are interested in discussing the issue. People have asked me for clarification on the situation and I have also responded to other people`s statements that I felt were inaccurate. If you and Leyland feel inclined to add wise arse comments to a thread I suggest you start your own thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Sunset
    Mikeyc: I feel you. * i think that LeyLand is flaming you knowing that you were a victim of a bad product. leyland SHAME on you ! :chair: This is no place for a Pseudo Lawyer.
    No kidding. Real nice of you guys to kick a man when he`s down. Do you steal candy from babies too??

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, I am dumb
    You`re right. I`ll move on to another thread. Sorry for my posts.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Do I take it from the last post, that there is nothing left constructive to add to this thread?

"J"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information