Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spot Buffs Kit - WARNING!!

What part caused the damage? The backing plate or the adaptor? What I meant earlier about not product failure in the sense that nothing that the company manufactured broke. That adaptor is used for people with a rotary BP that wants to use it with a PC aswell. I`m assuimg that the adaptor needs to be tightened to the PC with the given tool from Porter Cable and then have the backing plate tightened into that. I think that a Backing plate that is made for the PC would be ideal for this kit which you wouldnt have had to worry about this problem.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It`d be tough to do a whole car on 4"ers I think.
    Thanx for posting the response. Only fair.

I don`t understand how all this work; I`ve never used a PC. My DW849 has a bolt in the middle. I screw the pad on. Nothing can come off. Can anyone explain?
    Brenton Dickieson

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    It`d be tough to do a whole car on 4"ers I think.
    Thanx for posting the response. Only fair.

I don`t understand how all this work; I`ve never used a PC. My DW849 has a bolt in the middle. I screw the pad on. Nothing can come off. Can anyone explain?
    A rotary has a threaded post to screw the BP onto. A PC has a nut. The threaded post is on the BP instead.

Post Thanks / Like

The hex may be be there also to un loosen the adapter after use..with the thread being right handed..and the rotation being clockwise..the adapter should tighten tighter than a bulls A$$..so the hex head may be needed to undue the adapter...and the plastic washer being a compression washer to lock in..also to not have a metal to metal bond...could be a million reasons why it failed...pads threads may be over sized due to a dirty tap on the production press...

worked in a machine shop a few years..and doing QC on production run parts ..you grabbed one to check it on a optical comparator to see if spec`s are variant..and believe it or not..you get parts out of spec..due to wear on taps..dies...brooches...carbide cutters...and tool chucks due to build up.

it is just like cars..some get a sweet heart..some get lemons....

and Autogeek is in no way part of this...it is a manufacturer`s responsibility to enforce QC .

I am suprised LC did not ask to have piece sent to them to examine them to rule out a defect...

I work as a mechanic now for the Post Office and see bad machining all the time and wonder how it lasted that long before it finally broke...

Al

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Last post on this subject, because I`m fuming mad over this whole situation and I don`t want to give myself a coronary.

First, I would like to thank Eric for trying to distract everyone from the real issues at hand with extraneous information like whether I was planning on polishing my whole car with 4" pads or not. This was not the case and I only was able to use the kit for about 3 seconds before the backing plate spun off anyway. I was planning on polishing the whole car, but not entirely with 4" pads.

Second, I would like to state that it was the adapter that struck the hood and removed the paint.

Third, I am not a "DIY`er" I don`t own wrenches, sockets, or any of that stuff. I have a cordless drill which is used 99.999% of the time as an electric screw driver. So, my first instinct is not to get out a wrench and tighten it if it`s large enough for me to get my hand around. Besides, Eric has stated that the motion of the PC should tighten the connection due to the direction of the orbit. If these pieces MUST be wrench tightened than there should be something on or in the box saying that.

Fourth, I used the lock washer, tightened the pieces by hand as much as possible, and it has been stated that the PC`s orbit should further tighten the adapter/BP connection . . . so why did mine come apart? No one has been able to answer this and I`m certainly not going to be crawling around my garage to find the washer to see if that was the part that failed. IMO that only leaves that the BP/adapter were defective. I`m very happy that Eric was not able to repeat my results with the adapter/BP he has. It shows that they were able to correctly manufacture the one he has. Congratulations. Doesn`t prove anything about the one I have as far as I`m concerned.

Finally, I would like to thank two people. First, Autogeek for politely passing on my problem to the manufacturer in an effort to get this resolved and to prevent this from happening to other people. IMHO this was the correct thing to do. I would also like to thank a non-DC sponsor company who saw my post and offered to send me completely at their cost a BP with a fixed screw post so that I could still use the pads that came with the kit. Anyone who wants to know who this vendor is can feel free to PM me. They will definitely be seeing business from me in the future. Lake Country on the other hand will not be getting any of my future business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AL-53
    The hex may be be there also to un loosen the adapter after use..with the thread being right handed..and the rotation being clockwise..the adapter should tighten tighter than a bulls A$$..so the hex head may be needed to undue the adapter...and the plastic washer being a compression washer to lock in..also to not have a metal to metal bond...could be a million reasons why it failed...pads threads may be over sized due to a dirty tap on the production press...

worked in a machine shop a few years..and doing QC on production run parts ..you grabbed one to check it on a optical comparator to see if spec`s are variant..and believe it or not..you get parts out of spec..due to wear on taps..dies...brooches...carbide cutters...and tool chucks due to build up.

it is just like cars..some get a sweet heart..some get lemons....

and Autogeek is in no way part of this...it is a manufacturer`s responsibility to enforce QC .

I am suprised LC did not ask to have piece sent to them to examine them to rule out a defect...

I work as a mechanic now for the Post Office and see bad machining all the time and wonder how it lasted that long before it finally broke...

Al
    Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I couldn`t believe that they would just dismiss my issue without seeing the actual BP and adapter in person. There`s only so much you can learn from a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I would also like to thank Dwayne for being Switzerland in this war. It was unfair of Eric to put Dwayne in the middle of this.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, and Happy New Year.

Well, I wasn`t going to say anything, because I felt it was just me.
    But after reading Mikeyc`s post, i have to say he has my support, because
    the exact same thing happened to me. I attached everything securely
    (or so I thought), and went to work on a small sections of a client`s
    decklid @ 6. Halfway through, i started to feel an odd vibration. I thought
    it was just the PC messing with my hands again, so I steppeed down
    the speed to 4, but I still got the vibration. I stopped and checked the
    pad, and it was fine. But the backing pad was loose on the adpater. I
    re-tightened everything again, and again I got the same thing. Eventually
    I just went with my rotary, small backing plate, and Megs Sof buff. In
    the long run, I accomplished more with that setup than futzing about
    with the PC, spotbuff and the the adapter.

Personally, I think I was very lucky that I caught the problem in
    advance, otherwise, I would be in the same boat as Mike. But it would
    have probably cost more since the car wasn`t mine (and there are a lot
    of customers out there that wouldnt think twice about putting the screws
    to someone doing work for them).

Ths Spot Buff pads are great, and I use them all the time. But after reading
    about Mike`s situation, I am even more uncomfortable about using the
    adapter and the backing plate. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but
    at this stage, having had the thing loosen up twice, I`m not going to
    take any chances.

Post Thanks / Like

USDM,

Thanks for sharing your story. I was inclined to believe that I couldn`t be the only one with this problem. Manufacturing a product over and over again does not result in the production of the same item continuously. There are variances in mass produced products. Clearly you and I have received products which have manufacturing problems. However, Lake Country has failed to acknowledge our problem. Luckily, it did not result in monetary loss to you or your business.

I on the other hand am out $540 due to the failure of their product. Unfortunately, what LC failed to realize is that I am currently out of work and $540 means even more to me right now than it normally would. Especially when it`s $540 I shouldn`t have had to spend. Since I have no job and nothing but time on my hands I`ve also posted my story on several other websites and have already told the story to several acquaintances in person. Everyone learns in marketing 101 that a happy customer tells a few people, but an unhappy customer tells everyone.

I hope that Lake Country continues to monitor this thread and that other Spot Buffs users with problems continue to come out of the wood work. I also hope anyone who buys the Spot Buffs kit reads this and knows to wrench tighten their adapter before use and to pray that it stays put.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    If the problem is that the adapter needs to be wrench tightened then IMO it`s negligent not to put instructions in the kit indicating this.

:yes: Very True. LC needs to add instructions on what speed, torque, & wrench type can be used for the Bp`s. After more than one person goes thru this can we imagine how many people don’t say anything. :censored: Mike I know how you feel. I would honestly make it worst but I know that you are an honest person that has just been a victim of neglect from Lake Country. IMO I also don’t like that E-mail that was sent. That shows unprofessional Customer Service to a client that is a DC contributor. If there were no instructions then we might have a more complicated issue that can legally be solved. But im sure that will not be the case. Unless if Mikey is still mad
    ( which I know I’d be ) Also I’m mad @ LC because after having to read this thread it would at least be a moral obligation to give the customer a compensation.

I too like the way Autogeek transfered you to the LC people.

Can you guys imagine the Makita with no instructions. :yes:

Post Thanks / Like

USDM,

Thanks for sharing your story. I was inclined to believe that I couldn`t be the only one with this problem. Manufacturing a product over and over again does not result in the production of the same item continuously. There are variances in mass produced products. Clearly you and I have received products which have manufacturing problems. However, Lake Country has failed to acknowledge our problem. Luckily, it did not result in monetary loss to you or your business.

I on the other hand am out $540 due to the failure of their product. Unfortunately, what LC failed to realize is that I am currently out of work and $540 means even more to me right now than it normally would. Especially when it`s $540 I shouldn`t have had to spend. Since I have no job and nothing but time on my hands I`ve also posted my story on several other websites and have already told the story to several acquaintances in person. Everyone learns in marketing 101 that a happy customer tells a few people, but an unhappy customer tells everyone.

I hope that Lake Country continues to monitor this thread and that other Spot Buffs users with problems continue to come out of the wood work. I also hope anyone who buys the Spot Buffs kit reads this and knows to wrench tighten their adapter before use and to pray that it stays put.
    LC should of been testing your polisher not running some tests in his back room as he said he did with some other polisher. I`m with you on this one ,but I do dissagree with one comment you made. A HAPPY CUTOMER TELLS A FEW,
    well in the normal world I would agree with you but the people on this site I feel are above normality as they are the kind of people that DO TELL EVERYONE when they are treated well or find a qualty fender or product ,and the world needs more people like that. Its easy to get mad and xxxxx but to praise when praise is diserved is above being normal and people here do that. Think of the praise LC could of had!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen22
    LC should of been testing your polisher not running some tests in his back room as he said he did with some other polisher. I`m with you on this one ,but I do dissagree with one comment you made. A HAPPY CUTOMER TELLS A FEW,
    well in the normal world I would agree with you but the people on this site I feel are above normality as they are the kind of people that DO TELL EVERYONE when they are treated well or find a qualty fender or product ,and the world needs more people like that. Its easy to get mad and xxxxx but to praise when praise is diserved is above being normal and people here do that. Think of the praise LC could of had!!!!
    It`s funny that you wrote this post. I was actually holding out on starting this thread until I heard LC`s final answer. If they had re-imbursed me for the damage caused by their product, this thread would have sung their praises and lauded them for their great customer service. In the end it turns out their customer service is crap and I`ve expressed that.

In the end, these threads have made me feel a little better about the situation. I`ve been able to vent my anger and among the various threads several people have popped up who have had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. The only difference being that they caught the BP spinning off before it had completely come off. It happened so fast with me there was no way I could have caught it.

This thread will be here when anyone searches this site (and several others where I`ve started the same thread) for Lake Country or Spot Buffs. It will be a continuing reference to anyone considering buying the Spot Buffs Kit or Lake Country products.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s funny that you wrote this post. I was actually holding out on starting this thread until I heard LC`s final answer. If they had re-imbursed me for the damage caused by their product, this thread would have sung their praises and lauded them for their great customer service. In the end it turns out their customer service is crap and I`ve expressed that.
    Or once folks read here and on Autopia where you posted this as well, those who had this kit could claim damage on their car in a spot they wanted body work done. My driver`s side door has a nasty dimple. Bam, I nick my door with the adapter - now pay for the damage your product caused. You did it for Mikeyc.

Lord knows how many of these adapter have been sold. How many have caused problems? LC does produce high quality products. How many sponsors here sell their pads? How many sponsors have LC silk screen on their company information to the pads?

LC customer service was awesome with me regarding some older style pads that were coming apart. I received free, new pads, no shipping charge sent to my home.

I`m sorry what happended to you. It totally blows. But just because it isn`t resolved the way you want, mean that you were correct to begin with or bemoan the fact on 2 detailing sites.

My adapter works great on the PC and drill. Sounds like user error.

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So true StinkPinky! So true. Talk about a lynch mob!

I went to the Autogeek.net link that Mickeyc posted and no where on that pad kit page does it mention Lake Country Manufacturing. On the label of that kit box it has a PBMA logo that stands for Palm Beach Motoring Accessories. Is passing the buck an admirable trait these days?

It looks like they boxed this foam pad kit and did not include instructions. Then, when a customer that claims he doesn`t take putting things on his paint finish lighty had an issue, they passed it off to the manufacturer of the pads.

There are numerous people here that should learn a lesson from this.

#1 Mickeyc - Don`t assume anything when it comes to using power tools on your vehicle`s paint. if no instructions were included, you should have asked questions. You could have gotten advice from Autogeek and Lake Country BEFORE the damage happened. THEN, if you had issues that resulted in damage, you would have more of a leg to stand on.

#2 PBMA/Autogeek - Looks like you guys packaged this kit and put YOUR name on it. There should be detailed instructions on how much to tighten the adapter included. You have to remember who you are dealing with here. Right or wrong, it`s human nature for people to assume things. You need to put things in black and white to cover your backside. (Remember the controversy in December when you ran a special and said no $1.00 orders but you didn`t really specify a minimum order requirement? $1.01 would have been a qualifying order unless you specify.)

#3 Lake Country Manufacturing - I think these guys are getting the shaft here. You cannot expect a company to pony up $540 when #1 and #2 could have taken steps to prevent this.

I propose a resolution that all three parties accept 1/3 responsibility and pay $180 and call it even. Now THAT would be fair to everyone involved and would teach #1, #2 and #3 all a very valuable lesson.
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leyland
    [b][color=purple]#2 PBMA/Autogeek - Looks like you guys packaged this kit and put YOUR name on it. There should be detailed instructions on how much to tighten the adapter included. You have to remember who you are dealing with here. Right or wrong, it`s human nature for people to assume things. You need to put things in black and white to cover your backside. (Remember the controversy in December when you ran a special and said no $1.00 orders but you didn`t really specify a minimum order requirement? $1.01 would have been a qualifying order unless you specify.)

]

very true i find it Hilarious on how PBMA/Autogeek puts their name on the prodcut & then transfers you to the original manufacturer. i hope the same doesnt happen with futute foam guns thay plan on selling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information