Post Thanks / Like

Question What do yall suggest???

Hey, i got a call from a guy with a 94 m3 and he wants a reallly thick buff and wax, i normally wax cars by hand but he wants it buffed?? and i checked it out and his paint is pretty bad.... So i went to the store nd i bought a work force buffer for about 40 bux but reading about buffers on here, im begining to think its a piece of Shi*, is it?? and what is a porter cable buffer?? and if the work force buffer is garbage where can i get a good buffer? and what kind of buffer do you guys reccomend?? i want a buffer that is easy to use becuase im pretty new to buffing and i dont want to leave any swirl marks, i want this guy to be happy with his buff and wax, so what kind of buffer would yall say i get???

Thanks!

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do yall suggest???

A Porter Cable is a dual-action polisher. It not only moves in circles, but in a random orbit--so two directions at once. This keeps heat from building up and keeps paint from being damaged.

It sounds like this guy needs some work done, so buy the PC and pads. This job will probably pay it off. Return the buffer, IMHO.
    Brenton Dickieson

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

this customer sounds like a PITA. Even if you buff wax it wont really make any difference on the paint. The pc is the way to go for a begginer who wants a buffer. It sounds like his paint needs a full detail:

wash
    clay
    polish
    wax

Talk to him and let him knwo that even if you buff the wax it really wont be any better than by hand. So i would return that buffer and save up for a pc with pads. You can always get a kit from the sponsers.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if learning how to use a rotary on a customer`s M3 is a wise move . If you never used a machine , whether a PC or rotary you should buy the PC and a pad kit , its pretty simple to get the hang of and the final results will show.

Like Greg suggested , it sounds like this paint needs a full detail but not seeing it myself I can`t tell.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent 9 hours yesterday polishing a customer`s car. Sometimes with damaged paint you don`t know until you get into the job. I used a rotary, I can`t imagine going back.
    But no, don`t practice a rotary on a nice car.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

To do a 2 step polish job and a wax will be around 5-14 hours depending on dedication, experience, and money being charged.

With a joe schmoe orbital it will take 1,000,456 hours give or take a half mil.

Thread Information