...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Busting out the rotary this weekend. Any tips?

I`m going to borrow my neighbors Makita rotary this weekend to polish up my new daily driver, a 1992 Saturn SL1. It`s got some scratches I know won`t come out, but I figured what the heck, I`ll give it a shot. This will be my frist time using a rotary for a full detail, I`ve only practiced on a junked fender in the past. I`m not too worried about damaging the paint since I might repaint it in the future anyway. I also figured as long as I stay at lower speeds for a while I`ll be fine, and then just work my way up from there. Here`s my plan:

Wash
    3M Fine Cut
    Megs Detail Spray
    Ultracoat Polish
    DS
    Carnauba Creme Wax or NXT X2 topper

I already clayed it on Sunday, so that`s not an issue. As far as the wheels go, eh they`re not worth worrying about anymore. If any of you have any tips as to how I should handle the rotary since this is a full detail, that`d be great! Thanks!
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Busting out the rotary this weekend. Any tips?

keep it flat. move 4 inches a second. stop right when u see the sligtest amount of dust. goodluck! i always polish it good but tend to need to always follow with the pc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    keep it flat. move 4 inches a second. stop right when u see the sligtest amount of dust. goodluck! i always polish it good but tend to need to always follow with the pc.
    Yeah, I`ve seen you mention that the Makita leaves a hollogram effect in the paint, I guess I`ll probably find it out. By the way, the color is Silver, so I guess that could help

I`ll be sure to get pics too, since it`s my first rotary detail!

Post Thanks / Like

i dont ALWAYS get them. soemtimes 1200rpms and a white pad is good anough, but when i think im cool the sun unveils all. thats why the pc is my best friend.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

dont be wild with it. I have done a few cars with mine and havnt seen any holorgams. Either Im an idiot and dont see them or I dont get them. Not sure. I alwyas follow with the pc just as a precaution

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just tackled the deck lid, hood, and rear passenger doors, and I must say I`m impressed! I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it is, but I just started at a low speed and worked my way up from there. I skipped the Fine Cut and went straight to the Ultracoat Polish, and I must say it`s doing its job! The paint feels extremely smooth, the metallic is really starting to pop, and I`ve got no hollograms or swirl marks. This is my first actual detail with a high speed buffer, and I must say it sure makes it a heck of a lot more fun! Well, I`m off to finish it off. I`m going to top it off with the Carnauba Creme Wax tomorrow morning, as I was told it bonds better after you wait 24 hours. I`ll hopefully have pictures sometime this next week!

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: I ended up using his Harbor Freight rotary, he left his Makita at a friends.

All done! I went over the whole cat twice with the U.C.P., then gave it a really good buffing with my MF`s, and finished it off with a quick wash down. I`m EXREMELY happy with the way it came out, since it was my first time touching an actual car with a rotary. The depth is back, the metallic pops out, and i`s so smooth! I even got away without any buffer marks or burns, impressive, eh! I can`t believe I`ve gone this long doing things by hand. NBow I`ve got the ambition I needed to buy a buffer. I`ll probably start out with a PC and eventually buy a Makita rotary to accompany the PC.

I`ll apply my topper tomorrow, and go over the black non-textured pieces with AIO, then just some small, finishing touches. Thanks again for everyon`es help with all of my questions, I couldn`t of done it without you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    i dont ALWAYS get them. soemtimes 1200rpms and a white pad is good anough, but when i think im cool the sun unveils all. thats why the pc is my best friend.
    Joyride I`m interested in knowing about your Mini Cooper.
    Is it a turbo, how much room inside, anything you don`t like?? I`m getting close to getting one cause I want to drive under all the Hummers out here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Eddie
    I`m getting close to getting one cause I want to drive under all the Hummers out here.
    I sure they`re more than happy to go over your car as well. :punk:
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Thread Information