Post Thanks / Like

Whats your opinion on a orbital

I dont trust myself with a high power buffer so I have been using an orbital to help take the wax off. I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad opinions on this. I know it doesnt help to much with paint repair, but its more of a speed thing and to make it easier to take wax off. Am I better off doing it by hand? Am I doing and damage in the long run?

Do you use them?

Thanks

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats your opinion on a orbital

When using a low power orbital buffer, people often find it speeds up the wax application process but not the removal process. My personal opinion is that you may be better off doing both by hand using high quality foam applicators and microfiber towels.

Edit: If you are speaking of a higher power dual action machine (like a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336), that is a very different type of polisher than the low powered $30 orbital models commonly found in local auto parts stores. The PC is an excellent machine.

XX DeWalt Crossing XX
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my PC to apply waxes and sealants, but never to take them off. You should be applying a very thing coat both by hand or by machine. With some good quality micro fiber towels, you should be able to buff it off in no time at all. In fact, I can probably buff off faster by hand than by machine! To each his own however.

Mike :mohawk

Post Thanks / Like

I was just referring to taking off wax with a low speed orbital. Its cheap in comparison to the PC and not high speed like that. I havnt had an experience with a PC so I cant say to much about it. I know I just want to avoid getting any swirl marks or buring through paint and I havent had this problem with a low speed orbital. Will the PC burn through paint or leave a swirl buff marks?

Post Thanks / Like

like this one..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris112
    I was just referring to taking off wax with a low speed orbital. Its cheap in comparison to the PC and not high speed like that. I havnt had an experience with a PC so I cant say to much about it. I know I just want to avoid getting any swirl marks or buring through paint and I havent had this problem with a low speed orbital. Will the PC burn through paint or leave a swirl buff marks?
    A PC will not burn paint or leave buffer holograms as long as it is used with common sense. If you try using a heavy duty cutting pad with an agressive compound and leave it running in one spot, you could certainly damage your paint. You could also potentially scuff up paint if the edge of your backing plate came into contact with the panel (use pads that have a larger diameter than the backing plate to avoid this). Using a PC in a sensible manner is quite safe.

As for the low power orbital, I would say leave it in the back of the closet and do everything by hand instead.

Post Thanks / Like

does the pc work the same as an orbital with the random movement? I have heard nothing but good things about them..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris112
    does the pc work the same as an orbital with the random movement? I have heard nothing but good things about them..
    The PC is a "dual action" machine which vibrates in two sets of directions. For the sake of a simple description, let`s say it alternates between going forward/backward and going left/right (rather than freely spinning). These motions take place so quickly that the effect is much like having a random pattern. Note that it is important to pair the correct counterweight with the backing plate/pad combo. Otherwise, you may experience excessive vibration.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you apply the wax properly (thin, in the shade, on a cool surface) and allow it to dry well (all depending on the wax, as some are wipe on/wipe off) you shouldn`t need to use the ROB to remove it. I feel that you run a higher risk of marring your finish using a buffer to remove the wax, as the bonnet can become clogged with residue (especially if you applied it too thick) and end up A)not removing any more wax, just smearing it around, or swirling up the paint if the residue was hard/paint is soft/dust or dirt landed on the wax while it was drying and/or being removed.
    In short, I think you`d be better off removing the residues by hand.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

I always prefer to apply and remove waxes or sealants by hand. And I use a PC to apply polishes, glazes, and paint cleaners, yet I still remove the residue and the haze by hand. I will also use a PC with a terry bonnet over a finishing pad sometimes to clean grainy exterior plastics. And other times I also use my PC with a microfiber bonnet over a finishing pad to add some gloss after first applying a QD type of product with a MF towel.
    So in short, don`t remove product with your buffer, and if you ahve the money buy a PC. It is very safe to use, even for a newbie.
    If my car were a magic lamp the genie would have shot me by now!

Post Thanks / Like

Pcs can certainly leave swirls and marring. If your dont work your polish long enough until it breaks down you will definitely have swirls

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    I had used one of those prior to getting my PC.

The advantage of them is that:
    They are inexpensive, saves you some arm power, and you can find terry cloth bonnets at most auto stores. That is where the advantage ends.

The disadvantages are:
    They have practically no pad selection (mostly terry bonets)
    Not good for paint correction
    Pads that you find are generally of poor quality and will clog easily
    Due to the general poor quality of many of the bonnets, you run the risk of inducing marring.
    The quick clogging means that you have to continually remove the bonnet to shake out the residue (or change it if applying product)
    Size and shape can make it awkward working on tight spots of the car.
    Personally I find the changing bonnets clumsy vs. changing pads on a PC.

All in all I found that I could apply and remove product faster by hand than with the buffer.

Sorry if it sounds like I am bashing the buffer. I`m not, I have used them for years (wore out 2 of them) but now that I have used a PC I can`t see ever using one again.

JMHO
    "J"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

You asked for opinions and that`s what this is.
    The following is a repost from quite some time back.
    It still reflects my feelings.

Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA.

Since then I have purchased a PC 7336 and there is no comparison. With the velcro backing plate, changing pads is a 5 second job. The machine is much easier to work with and probably does a much better job. I can`t say for sure since the WEN never really got much use.

Now for something to start a discussion. IMO, Unless you have swirl removal to do, the PC isn`t really necessary to do a good job of taking care of your car.
    Easier? Yes.
    Better? Probably a little better distribution of product.
    Faster? Maybe, but remember, you also have to consider the time you spend getting it out, putting it away, and hand washing the foam pads as part of the overall time spent.

My vehicles are in pretty good shape to start with and the products I use, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, S100 Cleaner, and S100 wax, are all so easy to apply and remove that the benefit is not all that great to me. So far, it seems that about 1/2 the time, I don`t even bother with the PC.

If you can afford one, by all means get one. If it stretches your budget, use the money to buy something you really need.

Charles

Thread Information