Thread: Cleaning Pads

2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Pads

Used my Green SONUS pad today along with SSR 2.5 to work on a friend`s car.......

(1) Can I or should I soak them in Dawn like MF pads/towels ??

(2) Can they go in the washer with some MF detergent cleaner?

(3) If "NO" to (1) or (2) above or both, do I just rinse it out until I get most of the gunk out?
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Pads

You can wash them by hand relatively easy. The pre soak is not a bad idea, just make sure not to let the product sit in the pad too long (like more than a day or so IMO). I usually wash my pads out after a detailing session. I have also heard of some people cleaning themn in the washer with no ill effects, but I personally choose not to do it that way. No real reason, just a personal choice.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jared.
    :dj
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

I have just been using the PC for a couple weeks now and just got my new set of LC pads from PAC but what I have done so far and comes out pretty well is when I`m done with the pad I place it in my wash bucket, aggitate the pad a little with my fingers to loosen and remove some of the product from the pad, and I rinse it pretty well, and then I take it in the house and put in very hot water, and aggitate some more with the hot water and dawn dishsoap. I let it air dry. Seems to work pretty well. Don`t expect the SSR1 stains to come out though. Haven`t for me and most say they wont. Hope that helps.

XX DeWalt Crossing XX
    Post Thanks / Like

When I`m done for the day, I soak mine in a bucket of warm water with Snappy Clean for about 25 min. Then, just rinse out well and let them air dry. Piece of a cake! I agree with Jared, don`t let the product sit in the pad for over a day unless you have a way to keep the pad from drying out. I just like to know I have a clean and dry pad each time, then I know nothing is caked in there either!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the washer and washed out by hand in the sink. I usually go with the by hand in the sink method. I did just get my order from Autogeek with some DP pad cleaner powder in it, so that`s what I will be going to next time. If you are going to use Dawn, be prepared to rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse....when you`re done with that....rinse some more.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I put the soiled pad(s) in a pail of soapy water as soon as I`m finished with it to avoid the possibility of an abrasive product drying on or near the surface of the pad. If you don`t work the abrasive products long enough, the residue and/or unbroken-down abrasives could form an abrasive lump that`ll be riding on your paint next time.

I tried washing some LC pads in a washing machine. The 6.5" pads came out OK `cause the velcro is fastened securely to the pad but I lost a couple 6" LC pads (velcro came off) so I won`t be repeating that experiment.

I soak the pads in soapy water, squeeze them out, knead the surface with my knuckles and transfer to a pail of clean water. Repeat the process until the water squeezed out of the pads runs clean.

I dry them by laying them facedown on a clean towel, fold the towel over the pad & pressing down. Repeat a few times until the "blot" mark is almost gone, then I let them air dry in the sun.

You can also try putting them on a PC (or rotary) and spinning them facedown in a bucket.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thread Information